McKenzie: Moved: McKenzie: Oilers in on Barrie? (Moves by Colorado-- Merged)

Status
Not open for further replies.

pockets

Thank you, Bill!
Aug 12, 2003
Green Mountain
Take this for what it's worth but some Avs fan in Vancouver just tweeted this...

Adds to my belief that Sakic isn't shopping Barrie and that other teams are the ones initiating trade talks.

Ncit3

Oct 19, 2011
Colorado
Take this for what it's worth but some Avs fan in Vancouver just tweeted this...

Adds to my belief that Sakic isn't shopping Barrie and that other teams are the ones initiating trade talks.

Well, yeah. We're in the drivers seat. We've got a couple years to get value out of Barrie if he doesn't re-sign. We're not taking scraps.

BatVader

"nothing is true; everything is permitted"
May 16, 2015
Imperial Gotham

The scuttlebutt is that Sakic wants to re-sign Barrie and is willing to go to arbitration.
Makes sense he is pricing him high to anyone who inquires.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Sakic probably saw what Chia just gave up for Larsson and decided to test the waters to see if there was another GM, or maybe Chia again, who would overpay for Barrie. Can't blame him for trying.

Homesick

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Calgary
The scuttlebutt is that Sakic wants to re-sign Barrie and is willing to go to arbitration.
Makes sense he is pricing him high to anyone who inquires.
We'll know in about two hours if Barrie has filed for arbitration. Then I believe Colorado has until 5pm EST tomorrow to file but then Barrie has the choice of a one or two year term

mytduxfan*

Fowler is an inferior Dman to Barrie. Why on Earth would we make that trade?

Avs still hold all the cards. We're happy to hang onto him if we dont get an offer we like. In fact it sounds like even if we get an offer we like we probably still hang onto him.

It has to be a blow your socks off kind of offer for us to move him. He's our #2D, he's still very young and he has the potential to be a 60+ point Dman in the NHL. A very rare asset to have and even more rare to see one traded.

Barrie's defensive game is really weak compared to Fowler's. Sure, he makes up for it being a beast offensively, but when it comes to being a defender, it's not even close. Fowler >>> Barrie. I'd be interested to see how Barrie's numbers do playing against top line competition too. In COL, it seems Beauchemin and Johnson take on the best guys, whilst in ANA, for the most part, it's been Fowler. IMO, overall, I'd say Fowler is better (I know, I'm biased). He's got a better overall game and has played like a #2 for most of his career.

Homesick

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Calgary
Barrie's defensive game is really weak compared to Fowler's. Sure, he makes up for it being a beast offensively, but when it comes to being a defender, it's not even close. Fowler >>> Barrie. I'd be interested to see how Barrie's numbers do playing against top line competition too. In COL, it seems Beauchemin and Johnson take on the best guys, whilst in ANA, for the most part, it's been Fowler. IMO, overall, I'd say Fowler is better (I know, I'm biased). He's got a better overall game and has played like a #2 for most of his career.
Fowler definitely is a better defenseman. His main opposition was Daniel Sedin where as Barrie's was Mat Perrault.
Just a question if a team values the offense more than the actual defense

karnige

Real Life FTL
Oct 18, 2006
I think its funny that sakic is asking for an arm and a leg and in the end if he doesn't want to resign he'll go for far less then he could have.

do0glas

Jan 26, 2012
why would the Sharks break up such a great balance of Vlasic/Burns on two pairings

Barrie's age and offensive ability compared to burns. Take a hit defensively and fill the vlasic hole which is easier than the burns hole.

Braun would cover quite a bit on his own. So who knows. I'd probably end up making that trade though.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Colorado should just pay him. They're not exactly hurting for cap room, wasn't the whole point of letting ROR and Statsny go was to have cap room open for a situation like this?

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
I think its funny that sakic is asking for an arm and a leg and in the end if he doesn't want to resign he'll go for far less then he could have.

I think it's funny that people have absolutely no idea what is actually going on with the contract negotiations, but act like Sakic is stupid for not dumping Barrie for whatever he can get right now.

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
Colorado should just pay him. They're not exactly hurting for cap room, wasn't the whole point of letting ROR and Statsny go was to have cap room open for a situation like this?

They will. But there is no need to overpay. Newport is one of the hardest firms to deal with, so they need to be firm, otherwise they end up giving away deals like the O'reilly deal and the eberle deal, both newport clients and iffy contracts.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
There's zero point in selling off Barrie for something as low as Pouliot+2017 first+Yakupov. The Avalanche can go to arbitration, keep him for another year or so, and then get a package of similar use or value later on.

I'm not sure if any of their lefties are good on their offside, but if not, Colorado has no depth on the right side behind Johnson if Barrie is traded. Colorado aren't rebuilding, so it makes me think that if Colorado are moving Barrie, they have an idea of what it would take to get Trouba or another RD via trade to replace him but need to get a player back for Barrie that would make them comfortable moving that piece. Maybe they need to get RNH or Leon Draisaitl back to move Duchene for Trouba. Edmonton doesn't have any top 4 RDs they could include in a deal for Barrie, so as trade partners, it is a bit of a weird move if COL doesn't have a plan in mind to fill that RD spot behind Johnson.

An ask being huge is also relative. I'm sure the price for Barrie is very high, but the fact that it came from Vancouver radio might mean that the analysts on the radio who are immersed in the Canucks might be biased when it comes to Canucks pieces and see them as more valuable than they are. This isn't something exclusive to Vancouver, every fan base or media person who knows everything about their teams lineup and prospect pool might over value certain pieces just because of how well they know them compared to other teams pieces as well as how emotionally attached they are to each piece as a fan or follower of the team.

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
There's zero point in selling off Barrie for something as low as Pouliot+2017 first+Yakupov. The Avalanche can go to arbitration, keep him for another year or so, and then get a package of similar use or value later on.

I'm not sure if any of their lefties are good on their offside, but if not, Colorado has no depth on the right side behind Johnson if Barrie is traded. Colorado aren't rebuilding, so it makes me think that if Colorado are moving Barrie, they have an idea of what it would take to get Trouba or another RD via trade to replace him but need to get a player back for Barrie that would make them comfortable moving that piece. Maybe they need to get RNH or Leon Draisaitl back to move Duchene for Trouba. Edmonton doesn't have any top 4 RDs they could include in a deal for Barrie, so as trade partners, it is a bit of a weird move if COL doesn't have a plan in mind to fill that RD spot behind Johnson.

Thank you! So many fans here only care about their own team in a trade without thinking of the other team's situation.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
Thank you! So many fans here only care about their own team in a trade without thinking of the other team's situation.

I think some people in this forum get caught up in "winning" trades for their fan base rather than actually talking what teams might do in the real world based on their needs.

I also think that fanbases are guilty of over valuing their own pieces because of how familiar they are with them and not being familiar enough with other teams pieces. Not saying I've never been guilty of this. But go back and read O'Reilly proposals. There were some Avalanche fans saying how he is a 1C who can play in all situations and that COL will regret trading him and it'd take a package with Zadorov++ while other fanbases who weren't as familiar with O'Reilly claimed they were delusional because O'Reilly only had x amount of points last season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad