McKenzie: Moved: McKenzie: Oilers in on Barrie? (Moves by Colorado-- Merged)

Status
Not open for further replies.

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
Whatever Barrie is asking now might be COL's best bet... I really don't think him going to arbitration is going to help COL too much. The numbers seem to favor him pretty nicely

Which numbers, exactly? What RFA signing in the last few years can Barrie use as a comparable to get a huge pay day?

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
Which numbers, exactly? What RFA signing in the last few years can Barrie use as a comparable to get a huge pay day?

not many RFA Dmen have come close to 50pts.
They pay day might not be huge but the term will be..
It will be a lingering issue until Barries is locked up long term.

I am expecting a 1yr 5M arbitration award.. +/- 500K

not really a huge pay day but its just burning a RFA year.

edit: by numbers I assume the guy meant his back to back 49pt seasons

Toggel

Feb 26, 2015
If the team chooses to take him to arbitration can he choose the 2 year contract option and be a UFA in 2 years? that is a risky game for the aves to play imo.

I would offer Pou+Reinhart+2017 1st similar package to the O'Reilly trade. Reinhart seems like a player that Roy/Sakic would like.

What ever the trade is Aves would have to take some salary back.

Avs44

May 16, 2011
If the team chooses to take him to arbitration can he choose the 2 year contract option and be a UFA in 2 years? that is a risky game for the aves to play imo.

I would offer Pou+Reinhart+2017 1st similar package to the O'Reilly trade. Reinhart seems like a player that Roy/Sakic would like.

No, he has three years left, and that's a terrible offer, not close to what the Avs got for ROR, and ignoring the fact that the Barrie situation is not comparable to the ROR situation. Take that garbage out of here.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
No dog in the fight. I have no idea what the avs will do on this case. But i have a quick question

Is there really like a duchene ceiling. That since he has a 6 million contract, they want all to fall in line behind him? Seems odd to draw a line in the sand on a player like him. Very good player but he isnt a crosby etc.... Or even the captain

a mangy Meowth

Ross Colton Fan
Jun 21, 2012
Highlands Ranch, CO

That's insultingly low. Begone

not a troll

Oct 24, 2012

Thanks for the morning laugh.

ORLY

Oct 31, 2011
Lost O'reilly over money and we make the playoffs with him last year. The cap is going up. I'm sick of losing good players because of 1 million dollars here or there. Pay him

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
Just OS with a 7 year times 6.2m already and call it a day

easy match for COL.. The tricky one would be a 3 yr offersheet taking Barrie right to his UFA year.

If it is the Oilers then 3 yrs x 5.6M is the highest they can go.
(compensaton 1st+3rd)
If its a team with a 2nd round pick then 3 yrs x 7.5M can be offered ..
(compensation 1st+2nd+3rd)

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
not many RFA Dmen have come close to 50pts.
They pay day might not be huge but the term will be..
It will be a lingering issue until Barries is locked up long term.

I am expecting a 1yr 5M arbitration award.. +/- 500K

not really a huge pay day but its just burning a RFA year.

edit: by numbers I assume the guy meant his back to back 49pt seasons

If Barrie files for arbitration Avs can select two year award. Having Barrie for two years @$5M/year and then another RFA year after will only increase his trade value.

Homesick

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Calgary
easy match for COL.. The tricky one would be a 3 yr offersheet taking Barrie right to his UFA year.

(compensaton 1st+3rd)
*SIGH* The Oilers can offer sheet with a second as compensation. The NHLPA won an arbitration case regarding coach/management compensation picks. The 2nd the Oilers lost for Chiarelli would be deferred for a one year

BeastMode97

Jan 4, 2015

(compensaton 1st+3rd)

I asked somewhere else, and it turns out in the event of an offer sheet, the Oilers can defer the 2nd round pick they owe Boston to the next year, even though it passed the 3 years they initially had to choose from. So the Oilers could offer the latter.

Homesick

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Calgary
If Barrie files for arbitration Avs can select two year award. Having Barrie for two years @$5M/year and then another RFA year after will only increase his trade value.
Page 57 of the CBA - A Player aged 18 or 19 earns a year of professional experience by playing ten (10) or more NHL Games in a given season. A Player aged 20 or older (or who turns 20 between September 16 and December 31 of the calendar year in which he signs his first SPC) earns a year of professional experience by playing ten (10) or more Professional Games under an SPC in a given season.
So Barrie has 5 professional seasons according to article 12.1 under the current CBA.
A two year deal would put him into unrestricted free agency

Avs44

May 16, 2011
Page 57 of the CBA - A Player aged 18 or 19 earns a year of professional experience by playing ten (10) or more NHL Games in a given season. A Player aged 20 or older (or who turns 20 between September 16 and December 31 of the calendar year in which he signs his first SPC) earns a year of professional experience by playing ten (10) or more Professional Games under an SPC in a given season.
So Barrie has 5 professional seasons according to article 12.1 under the current CBA.

I thought I explained this to you yesterday. You have now displayed that Barrie has played five professional years in the NHL. Did you look at the criteria for how a player becomes a UFA? Section 10.1, page 28.

Any Player who either has seven (7) Accrued Seasons or is 27 years of age
or older as of June 30 of the end of a League Year, shall, if his most recent
SPC has expired, with such expiry occurring either as of June 30 of such
League Year or June 30 of any prior League Year, become an Unrestricted
Free Agent

Does that say professional experience seasons? Or accrued seasons? From Article 1, "Definitions," page 2.

"Accrued Season" means any League Year during which a Player was on a
Club's Active Roster for 40 (30 if the Player is a goalie) or more Regular Season Games

If you want to go digging through the NHL CBA and find proof of where it states that an accrued season actually follows the same criteria as a professional season, feel free to do so. Until proven otherwise, I'll believe that the creators of the CBA did intend for there to be a difference in meaning between "accrued" and "professional" seasons.

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005

Barrie is in the same boat as Draisaitl.
Draisatil burned a year of his ELC when he played 30 games 2 yrs ago but his UFA eligibility did not change.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
So what would Colorado fans think of Fowler as the return for Barrie assuming that the bad blood between management and Barrie/his agency it too much to overcome?

Pouliot + Yakupov + Oilers 1st in '17 may not be what Colorado wants for Barrie but Anaheim maybe interested in a package like that since they are thin on forwards and have some solid young D to step into their lineup.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
So what would Colorado fans think of Fowler as the return for Barrie assuming that the bad blood between management and Barrie/his agency it too much to overcome?

guessing you are asking to build a three way with Edmonton, cause the last thing the ducks need is D

EdAVSfan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2009

Pouliot + Yakupov + Oilers 1st in '17 may not be what Colorado wants for Barrie but Anaheim maybe interested in a package like that since they are thin on forwards and have some solid young D to step into their lineup.

Doesn't make much sense at seeing as how fowler will be UFA in 2 years, and the avs own the rights to Barrie for 3 more years.

In a year, fowler will be worth less with just 1 year to UFA whereas Barrie will still have great value with 2 RFA years remaining

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad