Post-Game Talk: Motor City Heist: Jets steal two in Detroit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

LadyJet26

LETS GO BLUE!!!!!
Sep 6, 2004
Winnipeg, MB
Very few. Although its funny when i tell the ones that don't that its in Manitoba and they say "where's that" and i'm like "Canada -__-"

Yet Canadians usually know where every state is because we learn it in school before Canada became a country, part of Lower Canada was sold to the Americans in the Louisiana Purchase. That changed history.

Pavs was great.Rest of the team not so much

Crosby87Domi11

Jan 29, 2013
Locust Grove,VA
Yet Canadians usually know where every state is because we learn it in school before Canada became a country, part of Lower Canada was sold to the Americans in the Louisiana Purchase. That changed history.

I can tell you where some places in Canada are but im clueless on others.

LadyJet26

LETS GO BLUE!!!!!
Sep 6, 2004
Winnipeg, MB
I can tell you where some places in Canada are but im clueless on others.

I'm even clueless on where some places are in Canada. The east coast, if you asked me where a little hick town is I wouldn't be able to tell you unless some nhler was from there.

I know all 50 states and most big cities. I can say I've been to the town where Notre Dame is. They didn't know what a debit card was there.

Yukon Joe

Aug 3, 2011
YWG -> YXY -> YEG

umm... the Louisiana Purchase was never considered "lower Canada". Lower Canada is Quebec, because it was the downstream (or lower) part of the St. Lawrence River.

Crosby87Domi11

Jan 29, 2013
Locust Grove,VA
I'm even clueless on where some places are in Canada. The east coast, if you asked me where a little hick town is I wouldn't be able to tell you unless some nhler was from there.

I know all 50 states and most big cities. I can say I've been to the town where Notre Dame is. They didn't know what a debit card was there.

I know most of the bigger cities in canada and probably a fair number of provinces. Hockey is the main reason i know where any smaller place in canada is.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
GREAT GAME BY PAVELEC!

"Start Montoya, Pavelec sucks! Trade him, he can't save anything....blah, blah, blah".

See what happens when your forwards and defence come to play? Goaltending has NOT been our problem, and anyone who has ever played the game would understand that.

I've played the game for nearly 30 years. Saying that it's the forwards and defense is absolute poppycock.

The Jets forwards and defense played the way they have for the past 12+ games. The DIFFERENCE was the goaltending. Pavelec controlled his rebounds, smothered pucks, made BIG saves at critical times.

That is all that so called 'Pav haters' (who I don't believe actually exist) want from Ondrej. He played a fabulous game last night. Let's hope he keeps it up.

LadyJet26

LETS GO BLUE!!!!!
Sep 6, 2004
Winnipeg, MB
umm... the Louisiana Purchase was never considered "lower Canada". Lower Canada is Quebec, because it was the downstream (or lower) part of the St. Lawrence River.

My bad Upper Canada. I get those two confused even though Canadian history was my speciality in my BA.:help:

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Finished reading thread. It never fails to amaze me that if you criticize a player for poor play you all of the sudden 'hate' him.

I know that some of it is tongue in cheek and we all like to have fun :laugh:

I don't hate Pavelec and you will not find a post I've made that alludes to that.

I give credit where credit is due. I was lauding Pav earlier this year. I criticized him when he got sloppy, let in weak goals and his save % dipped to his career average. I gave him big props last night. If he can play like that 4 out of 5 starts, this team will make the playoffs, and he will have league average save % which is all I have ever wanted from Pav or any goalie.

Also this Montoya elite talk? I have never seen one single poster say that. Not one. The vast majority of people here want:

Pav to control his rebounds, make timely saves and have at least a league average sv%

Noel to give Montoya some starts to rest and motivate Pav.

Monty to give us quality starts when he gets in.

If this occurs I do not think anyone will be complaining about our goaltending. I honestly do not see the problem here. Seems very fair and totally sane.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
I have to say, thus far, the Jets goaltending has been better than the previous two seasons.

Ironically, the Jets defense (not defensemen) has been worse.

The questions are:
*Will it remain like this?
*Will one thing change?
*Will both?
*Why is the Jets goaltending better?
*Is Pav's being pushed?
*Is it better rests?
*Less back-to-backs?
*Better coaching?
*Luck?
*Small sample?
*Mix?

I can make some guesses... but don't know for sure.

Grind

Stomacheache AllStar
Jan 25, 2012
Manitoba
I have to say, thus far, the Jets goaltending has been better than the previous two seasons.

The questions are:
*Will one thing change?
*Will both?
*Is Pav's being pushed?
*Is it better rests?
*Less back-to-backs?
*Better coaching?
*Luck?
*Small sample?
*Mix?

This is my problem. We're dealt with an absolute backwards situation to years prior. our goaltending is doing better (though not "great" year) but our skaters, that had for years prior had us in playoff position if only the goaltending would come, have regressed to below average.

I'ms till holding out hope our upward trend in fenwick continues and we see goaltending and skaters line up. but i'd be lieing if i said i wasn't also gripping my seat, waiting for the wheels to fall off at any minute.

JetsTrueNorth

Feb 16, 2013
I've played the game for nearly 30 years. Saying that it's the forwards and defense is absolute poppycock.

The Jets forwards and defense played the way they have for the past 12+ games. The DIFFERENCE was the goaltending. Pavelec controlled his rebounds, smothered pucks, made BIG saves at critical times.

That is all that so called 'Pav haters' (who I don't believe actually exist) want from Ondrej. He played a fabulous game last night. Let's hope he keeps it up.

Sorry but you're wrong. The team is playing it's best TEAM hockey of the season just in these last few games. Players who haven't done a thing offensively are now contributing with chances and those chances are resulting in goals. Whether it continues is another story, but they're playing very well right now.

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
Finished reading thread. It never fails to amaze me that if you criticize a player for poor play you all of the sudden 'hate' him.

I know that some of it is tongue in cheek and we all like to have fun :laugh:

I don't hate Pavelec and you will not find a post I've made that alludes to that.

I give credit where credit is due. I was lauding Pav earlier this year. I criticized him when he got sloppy, let in weak goals and his save % dipped to his career average. I gave him big props last night. If he can play like that 4 out of 5 starts, this team will make the playoffs, and he will have league average save % which is all I have ever wanted from Pav or any goalie.

Also this Montoya elite talk? I have never seen one single poster say that. Not one. The vast majority of people here want:

Pav to control his rebounds, make timely saves and have at least a league average sv%

Noel to give Montoya some starts to rest and motivate Pav.

Monty to give us quality starts when he gets in.

If this occurs I do not think anyone will be complaining about our goaltending. I honestly do not see the problem here. Seems very fair and totally sane.

10-25-2013, 04:10 AM
Jet
He no play.

vCash: 50
I'm starting to hate Pavelec

GDT against Nashville on the 24th of October! Hah!

:laugh:

Other than that, I think most people agree that Montoya should get more starts. Will be interesting to see if Noel agrees.

Last edited:

jetkarma*

The questions are:
*Will one thing change?
*Will both?
*Is Pav's being pushed?
*Is it better rests?
*Less back-to-backs?
*Better coaching?
*Luck?
*Small sample?
*Mix?

What is your guess(es) at this point?

Rook37

Feb 22, 2013
Winnipeg

Haha, maybe when you went to school. We definitely never covered almost any American geography when I was in high school. There's a good 15-20 states that I would probably just point at the middle of the map and tell you "its around there", and I'm better at geography than most of my friends :P

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Haha, maybe when you went to school. We definitely never covered almost any American geography when I was in high school. There's a good 15-20 states that I would probably just point at the middle of the map and tell you "its around there", and I'm better at geography than most of my friends :P

Really? I remember being in grade school and having to identify the Canadian provinces and American states.

Gnova

CowboysR^2
Sep 6, 2011
Jetland

You are wrong.

In the past few games the team hasn't been allowing the endless stream of odd man rushes and breakaways that we were so lucky to see when they were losing and everyone was losing their **** about goaltending.
The team is playing much better defensively.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
What is your guess(es) at this point?

Tough call...

My guess:

*Will it remain like this? Will one thing change or both?
Probably both in opposite directions, not sure by how much though. LLW is already pushing this team back into the black. Both the lines in the top 6 have been sitting at par or better as of late. The 3rd line has created offense but hasn't been enough to push this team over the edge though. Probability is on Pav/Monty regressing, but probability isn't a guarantee.. I for one would prefer the less likely result
*Is Pav's being pushed? Probably. Commitment and work ethic has been a noted issue for Pavelec in the past
*Is it better rests? Less back-to-backs? Well we lost in the 2nd B2B where Montoya played, but his Sv% in the game was still better than Pavelec's norm for 2nd game.
*Better coaching? No clue hahah
*Luck? IMO luck always plays some role in goaltending no matter who you are
*Small sample?
*Mix? My vote.

Gnova

CowboysR^2
Sep 6, 2011
Jetland

Canadians like to talk **** about knowing US geography but if they were actually quizzed on where exactly Idaho, West Virginia, or even Kentucky was located on a map I bet the majority would get it wrong. Most of us know the "important" states like one neighboring Canada and the tourist attraction states like California, Nevada, Texas, Florida,... and a lot of Americans will know of the Canadian provinces bordering their state and they likely know where Ontario and BC are but why should someone living in Tennessee care where Manitoba is? It is useless knowledge.
Yes we had to learn all the states when we were in grade school and got to colour all the different states with pencil crayons but we also did that for Africa and I couldn't point out the locations of 1/3 of the African nations if asked (if would be lower if I hadn't lived in Africa for nearly a decade).
I know a lot more of the US state locations because I have had practical experience with a lot of them since leaving school. If you don't you will forget.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
Canadians like to talk **** about knowing US geography but if they were actually quizzed on where exactly Idaho, West Virginia, or even Kentucky was located on a map I bet the majority would get it wrong. Most of us know the "important" states like one neighboring Canada and the tourist attraction states like California, Nevada, Texas, Florida,... and a lot of Americans will know of the Canadian provinces bordering their state and they likely know where Ontario and BC are but why should someone living in Tennessee care where Manitoba is? It is useless knowledge.
Yes we had to learn all the states when we were in grade school and got to colour all the different states with pencil crayons but we also did that for Africa and I couldn't point out the locations of 1/3 of the African nations if asked (if would be lower if I hadn't lived in Africa for nearly a decade).
I know a lot more of the US state locations because I have had practical experience with a lot of them since leaving school. If you don't you will forget.

I think a majority of Americans might have trouble finding Idaho on a map. Apparently 37% can't find the USA on a map of the USA... http://www.huffingtonpost.com/steven-shehori/poll-37-of-americans-unab_b_150933.html

:laugh:

Potrzebie

Mar 25, 2010

There's a few. Unfortunately they're pretty vocal so it always seems like more.

wpgsilver

Jun 14, 2011
Winnipeg
First line of that article:

Editor's note: This post is a satire.

EDIT: Not that that site hasn't gotten me before.

Oh heavens :laugh:

"Personally, I believe if fewer people in this world could spot America on a map, we'd have a much better chance of avoiding national tragedies like 9/11," said Chertoff. "You can't attack a country you can't find."

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
Kentucky is easy... It's the chicken state:
states.jpg

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
My problem with the "Pav haters" (I only think there is truly one of those on here, the rest are critical but don't hate him) is that Pavelec usually seems to be the guy who, reading the GDTs, gets all the stick about goals against. He gets flak for goals that other goalies seem to get the benefit of the doubt on. Anyone notice Niemi too deep in his net on two of the four goals the Jets scored against San Jose? Those kind of things get noticed with Pavs, that's all. Even Monty gets the benefit of the doubt.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad