Most Valuable Asset: NHL Wingers

Most Valuable Asset: Wingers

• Total voters

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
That's the same excuse I heard during the Matthews vs Laine debate in their rookie seasons, because Laine missed those games due to his concussion and his points per game was this number.
Its also the same excuse leaf fans used for Matthews when he missed time. Rantanen was the better playoff player this year but you dont want to take that into account i guess?

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Its also the same excuse leaf fans used for Matthews when he missed time. Rantanen was the better playoff player this year but you dont want to take that into account i guess?
When Matthews was injured there were no Leafs fans comparing his stats to another player, the way Laine fans said he was better despite missing games in 2017 and Rantanen missing games this past regular season compared to Marner's stats.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
So your saying there should be an asterisk because Marner played 82 games and Rananen played 74 games?

That reminds me of those who said Laine had a better rookie season than Matthews because he only played 73 games due to injury and Matthews played all 82 games.

I mean, games played always seems to be brought up as a major factor when Matthews is being compared to players who outscored him because he missed a bunch of games. So I don't know why you'd take issue with it now.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
I mean, games played always seems to be brought up as a major factor when Matthews is being compared to players who outscored him because he missed a bunch of games. So I don't know why you'd take issue with it now.
In 2018 when Rantanen played 81 games he outscored Marner, I don't remember any Leafs fans saying Marner was still a better player.

So just because in 2019 when Marner outscored Rantanen someone else had to bring up Marner playing 82 games and Rantanen playing 74 games.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
In 2018 when Rantanen played 81 games he outscored Marner, I don't remember any Leafs fans saying Marner was still a better player.

So just because in 2019 when Marner outscored Rantanen someone else had to bring up Marner playing 82 games and Rantanen playing 74 games.

Because Rantanen outscored Marner by a wide margin in 2018 to the point where where games played have no relevance to their respective productions.

This past season, Rantanen's "pace" would have put him at pretty much the same production as Marner if he played all 82 games.

You don't see the difference between the two situations and why games played has more relevance in the latter?

Reactions: bebl

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Because Rantanen outscored Marner by a wide margin in 2018 to the point where where games played have no relevance to their respective productions.

This past season, Rantanen's "pace" would have put him at pretty much the same production as Marner if he played all 82 games.

You don't see the difference between the two situations and why games played has more relevance in the latter?
Earlier when I mentioned how Marner outscored Rantanen this season I had no idea he only played in 74 games. Still that shouldn't take away from the season Marner had, plus it's not his fault he played all 82 games and Rantanen only played in 74 games.

kegluu

Jan 30, 2016
Earlier when I mentioned how Marner outscored Rantanen this season I had no idea he only played in 74 games. Still that shouldn't take away from the season Marner had, plus it's not his fault he played all 82 games and Rantanen only played in 74 games.

Btw including playoffs Rantanen outscored Marner also this season in fewer games played.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Btw including playoffs Rantanen outscored Marner also this season in fewer games played.
Only because the Leafs were eliminated in 7 games which was the amount Marner played and Rantanen played in all 12 of the Avalanche playoff games.

However only regular season stats are kept for a players personal records, not playoff stats.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site

Selective memory.

Reactions: bebl

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad