Most underrated player in the NHL?

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013
Definite No, he has been quite the letdown since the day he was drafted right after McDavid but insisted he was the better player...Pretty sure most could mention 5+ players they would rather on their playoff run..
He already has been the best player on a Cup run. Regular season is overrated. Eichel is a horse when it counts and his two-way game is better than McDavid, Matthews etc.

hoglund

Dec 8, 2013
Canada
Before yesterday I'd say that Hyman is the most underrated player, but I think after scoring 50 this year, he's now respected and will be given a lot of attention and money.

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015
Before yesterday I'd say that Hyman is the most underrated player, but I think after scoring 50 this year, he's now respected and will be given a lot of attention and money.
He is signed thru 27/28 I don't see hm getting a big contract at age 36

Craig Ludwig

Jun 16, 2005
He already has been the best player on a Cup run. Regular season is overrated. Eichel is a horse when it counts and his two-way game is better than McDavid, Matthews etc.
Don't know what you're smoking, but I definitely know it's in Vegas...So you would want Eichel on your playoff team over Kucherov, Matthews, McDavid, Mackinnon, Pastrnak and others?

Last edited:

Our Lady Peace

Aug 12, 2014
BC
I'll use young budding stars as my example

Lucas Raymond is up there, his 2024 has shown he can put a team on his back even when they're dead in the water without their best player.

Wyatt Johnston is a complete player and leads the Stars in goals with 26 tied with Hintz. He's a genius and a total hound dog on the puck.

Thomas Harley, another Dallas guy. A guy who was thrust into the AHL early from Covid after only 1 junior year post draft. Last season spent an actual full season down in the AHL and then put up 9 points in 19 playoff games with Dallas. Now has 15 goals and 40 points while looking legitimately comfortable all over the ice. 3 OT goals this season... I wondered what his potential was and right now he's 22 and absolutely killing it so who knows. He's really pushed his limitations. Could be a big dark horse for Dallas's run this year.

Reactions: ObjectiveBattle

Le Rosbeef

Jul 27, 2007
Charlie Lindgren is definitely one of the most underrated. .912 save percentage with 5 shutouts on a pretty dismal Caps team, all while on a 1.1m per year contract.

Came here to post this name. Agree on CL - was the first name I thought of.

This thread though... So many 1Cs, $10m+ year contracts and Norris finalists on this thread being "underrated". Can't reconcile how they can be underrated on that basis...

Homer vote, with a guy that has opened my eyes: Mikael Granlund. Currently pacing 55-60 points on what is effectively an AHL franchise. His leadership too - very glad we've got him and think he fits this bill.

Ol' Jase

Steaming bowls of rich, creamy justice.
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2005
Matthias Ekholm doesn’t get mentioned as much as he probably should.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Ekholm as mentioned above.

Since being traded to the Oilers roughly a calendar year ago he is like a +60 or something, which has to be no.1 in the league.

The Oilers since adding him also have like the 2nd best record in the NHL over that calendar year period (2nd to Boston).

He should honestly get some consideration for the Norris, not saying a win, but his metrics on the Oilers are elite and the team wins a ton of games with him in the lineup. He was injured to start the season and it certainly showed.

amikaro

Sponsor
Nov 9, 2015
I still think, Josi doesn't get the appreciation he deserves. He's Top5 for years and is carrying the Preds year by year. He's a point per game player over the last 5 seasons (0.96ppg) and a force on both sides of the ice.

He keeps getting mentioned but never gets the buzz or highlights as other Ds.

1711465195568.png

In my opinion there's no player of the Top15 above who was carrying more on his shoulders for his team. Maybe Quinn Hughes ...

Reactions: johan f and frisco

Razamanaz

Oct 22, 2017
Northern Hemisphere.
All the Finland boys, and I mean all of 'em and that easy:nod:.

The centerline especially.

See ya in the Best On Best Tournament compadres - then even the backbone of Finland is a beast-bone with Dallas Stars boys (half the troop) and Mikkola and Jokiharju.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
All the Finland boys, and I mean all of 'em and that easy:nod:.

The centerline especially.

See ya in the Best On Best Tournament compadres - then even the backbone of Finland is a beast-bone with Dallas Stars boys (half the troop) and Mikkola and Jokiharju.
Not Kakko. He stinks.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad