Most underrated player in the NHL?

Bouboumaster

Jul 4, 2014
Who are some of the most underrated players in the NHL right now?

I think that currently the most underrated player is Barzal

HOM to Danault (I'll vote for him as long as he plays) and from the Habs, I'd say it's Armia (he was mid at best for years, but seeing Time in the AHL truly kicked him in the ass and plays what is probably his best hockey right now)

• Haha
Reactions: OTB

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Nichushkin for the Avs. He does everything and do the dirty work when playing with Mack/Rantanen while being able to produce. Since he came back Avs haven't lost (3-0). Win-lose record says alot with and without him in the lineup.

Simply one of the top wingers in the NHL at this point.

Nearly PPG the last two seasons with little reliance on PP production or unsustainable shooting, one of the most intimidating forecheckers and strongest board players in the entire league, heavy usage PKer and those on-ice, off-ice W-L differences just show what a difference he makes when out there.

He’s a star if you just want to go off simple counting stats…but when you take the complete package into account - he’s on another level.

WaitingForThatCab

#1 Nick Cousins Fan Account
Mar 11, 2017
I recently saw a tweet explaining that Aleksander Barkov was still underrated because Huberdeau, Duclair, Tkachuk, Verhaeghe, etc. had all had career years playing with him. This was funny to me, because all of these guys had career years being centered by Sam Bennett.

So that's my nominee for the most underrated player on the Panthers. Guy's a force of nature.

klefbombs shoulder

Jul 21, 2023
In all honesty underrated players are typically young guys who are currently very good but haven't been around enough to be on other fanbases radar. Also typically play in smaller/western markers so they don't get the media hype. A good candidate this year is Wyatt Johnson of Dallas. One of the better young centres in the league currently.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Charlie Coyle hands down especially this season. Hes doing it all.

Him not just peaking but becoming this important in his age 31/32 season, on a powerhouse team no less, is downright remarkable.

Great choice. It’s easy to pick out a scoring star or young player on the rise. Coyle basically saying “yeah, no Patrice, no problem” at this stage is a stunner to me.

traffic cone

May 12, 2011
I recently saw a tweet explaining that Aleksander Barkov was still underrated because Huberdeau, Duclair, Tkachuk, Verhaeghe, etc. had all had career years playing with him. This was funny to me, because all of these guys had career years being centered by Sam Bennett.

So that's my nominee for the most underrated player on the Panthers. Guy's a force of nature.
Kane could score because Toews’ line was taking the hard matchup night after night. That’s the Barkov effect - not necessarily always playing on the same line.

Gentle Man

09/12
Nov 15, 2011
Ontario, CA

I think he's underappreciated but not necessarily underrated. He doesnt light up the score board, but his defensive and responsible play allows those around him to do so. So, while he isnt the best, he definitely is one of the most important.

Underrated is definitely Forsling though. Won't get recognized for a Norris because he doesnt have enough points, but he's like top 2 defensively. And he might not be 2.

Kane could score because Toews’ line was taking the hard matchup night after night. That’s the Barkov effect - not necessarily always playing on the same line.
The tweet in question was this

What he said is correct. The original tweet was talking about being on a line with Barkov because if it was just being on the team, then Noel Acciari would be on there for scoring close to 20 goals.

Half the guys listed were centered by Bennett 5 v 5

wayninja

Bednar's Tailor
Mar 24, 2017
Nichushkin for the Avs. He does everything and do the dirty work when playing with Mack/Rantanen while being able to produce. Since he came back Avs haven't lost (3-0). Win-lose record says alot with and without him in the lineup.

This. Not just avs, probably one of the most underrated players in the league if you go by impact/recognition.

Our Lady Peace

Aug 12, 2014
BC
For stars I'll say Dylan Larkin. He's a legit #1C and quite literally the engine of Detroit now. It shows, as they're 0-5 since he's been out and 0-6 during that streak. Frustrations boiling over in practice with a couple players the other day too during this skid.

More underrated players in general I would give a shout to Dylan Strome, Wyatt Johnston and Jalen Chatfield.

Trevor Moore noted above is a really good shout. That guy plays all situations, is an insane forechecker and has added some nice skill/scoring touch especially as he's healthy once again. 25 goals this year. His wrist shot velocity/accuracy/deception is a severely underrated trait of his. (Thousand Oaks legend)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad