Most underrated hockey players of all time

davebenj

Mar 19, 2011
Also, more recently, I've always thought Kim Johnsson was extremely underrated. Didn't get a lot of fanfare but I thought he was really good.

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
it depends who X player is underrated by.

Red Kelly is definitely underrated by a lot of people.

steveat

Jun 4, 2011
I would say

- Marcel Dionne
- Al Secord - Pound for pound and only played 11 seasons is the only guy that I know that could go toe to toe against the likes of Semenko, Snepts, McRae etc and STILL score 54 goals in a season. He wasn't a power forward either.
- Randy Carlisle
- Murray Bannerman
- Mike Palmateer
- Bernie Federko
- To a certain extent Cam Neely
Home pick - Walt Poddubny :cool:

double5son10

Jan 20, 2011
Denver
Some underrated contributors to Cup winning teams:
Ron Ellis-Great two-way player and forgotten contributor to '72 Summit team.
Ralph Backstrom-One of the best, most skilled 3rd line centers to ever lace 'em up.
Don Marcotte-Super checker and consistent 20 goal scorer
Rejean Houle-Could play all three forward positions in all situations
Bob Kelly-Schultz gets more press and the Hound was almost devoid of skill, but Kelly's a super high energy player that could really set the tone. Scored the Cup winner in Game 6 in '75
Yvon Lambert-One of the most awkward skaters I've ever seen but hugely underrated contributor to the 70s Dynasty. 3rd line checker who played on both special teams units.
Bob Bourne-Just a lovely skater to watch. Led the Isles in playoff scoring their final year of the Dynasty and losing him to injury in the '84 playoffs was a huge factor in coming up short in the Drive for Five.
Lee Fogolin-Mr. Stay at Home on the early Oilers super teams. Steve Smith's blunder in '86 never happens if Fogolin doesn't get hurt in game 6 of division finals.
Mats Naslund-Never put up the #s in the 80s to be recognized like he should, but definitely one of the most dynamic players of that era and clutch too.
Kevin Lowe-Smooth skating and defensively responsible, his contributions to 6 Cup winners are sadly overlooked. Should be in the Hall.
Colin Patterson-One of the forgotten defensive forwards of his era. Scored a huge goal in game 6 of '89 Finals to open the scoring. A wrecked knee cut him short.
Kevin Stevens-Today he's totally overshadowed by Lemieux, Jagr and Francis, and infamous for crack and prostitution, but before landing on his face he was in the conversation for best power forward of his era.
Mike Keane-Tough as nails checker and penalty killer. The kind of heart and soul player Cup winning teams have, and he did it w/ three different franchises.
John MacLean-Another fine player derailed by injuries but came back to have a big hand in the Conference Final run in '94 and the Cup win in '95.

Didn't win a Cup but Peter Zezel was always a favorite too. One of the best face-off men to ever take a draw.

davebenj

Mar 19, 2011
double5son10: Kevin Stevens might just be my most disliked hockey player ever but I definitely agree with you.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
His beligerence overshaddowed a great career.

Sylvain Lefevre: defensive defenseman who was never a hitter, so it was hard for him to get noticed.

Kevin Dineen: Best years were for the Whalers.

The numbers don't show it, but from what I saw Dineen was a better player than Verbeek.

livewell68

Jul 20, 2007
The top 10 most underrated players in NHL history

It would be interesting to see what people's list would be for their top 10 most underrated hockey players for the history of the game.

Mine are in order:

1. Denis Potvin
2. Ken Dryden
3. Jaromir Jagr
4. Ron Francis
5. Eric Lindros
6. Sergei Fedorov
7. Larry Robinson
8. Brian Trottier
9. Jacques Plante
10. Ted Lindsay

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
It would be interesting to see what people's list would be for their top 10 most underrated hockey players for the history of the game.

Mine are in order:

1. Denis Potvin
2. Ken Dryden
3. Jaromir Jagr
4. Ron Francis
5. Eric Lindros
6. Sergei Fedorov
7. Larry Robinson
8. Brian Trottier
9. Jacques Plante
10. Ted Lindsay

Well, it mainly depends on the meaning of "underrated"... and whose "rating" are used for a basis of comparison.

I think Jacques Plante being 3rd on the HOH Top-60 goalies list means he's underrated, but that's probably not the common sense of the word "underrated". Meanwhile, a guy like Dan Bouchard didn't make your list, but he was a goalie that was better than his teammates on a consistent basis and who never really got the chance to play for a team that had a shot at anything, with the remote exception of the Nordiques... and he was possibly past-prime then.

And Bouchard also never gets much consideration either. He had a better career than, say, Mike Palmateer, and was, in all likelyhood, a better player than him. Yet Palmateer's name is much more known.

Hardyvan123

tweet@HardyintheWack
Jul 4, 2010
Vancouver
Well, it mainly depends on the meaning of "underrated"... and whose "rating" are used for a basis of comparison.

I think Jacques Plante being 3rd on the HOH Top-60 goalies list means he's underrated, but that's probably not the common sense of the word "underrated". Meanwhile, a guy like Dan Bouchard didn't make your list, but he was a goalie that was better than his teammates on a consistent basis and who never really got the chance to play for a team that had a shot at anything, with the remote exception of the Nordiques... and he was possibly past-prime then.

And Bouchard also never gets much consideration either. He had a better career than, say, Mike Palmateer, and was, in all likelyhood, a better player than him. Yet Palmateer's name is much more known.

Bouchard is a much better example. The two goalies on this list are on the 1st ballot of the top goalies of all time project, how can that be under rated?

Ditto for most of the players listed.

Fire Sweeney

Jun 16, 2009
Bergen
Eddie Shore
Doug Harvey
Dominik Hasek
Jacques Plante
Jaromir Jagr
Rick Middleton
Eric Lindros
Jacques Lemaire
Peter Stastny
Michel Goulet

Saku11

Jan 25, 2010
Players who can score goals and make plays, but arent known to hit or play grinding game.

BubbaBoot

Oct 19, 2003
The Fenway
Visit site
1. Brian Propp
2. Rick Middleton
3. JG Talbot
4. Rod Langway (I know he's in the HoF but you rarely see his name bought up in any discussions)
5. Ed Westfall
6. Rogie Vachon
7. Don Marcotte
8. Calle Johanson
9. Camille Henry
10. Jimmy Thomson

Not really underrated but should get more acolytes: Bobby Baun
Bruin who's underrated by Bruins fans: Eddie Johnston

GenoRules

Oct 20, 2009
Lurker on the forum..But I just went through the entire thread and was surprised to see no mentions for Rod Brind'Amour or Mark Recchi.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad