Most underrated hockey players of all time

Colt 55

RIP Oscar and Jose
Jan 28, 2012
Coronado
I was looking at the thread for most overrated players of all time, and was wondering who people think is the most underrated player in THEIR teams history?
As a blues fan, I still dont think Federko gets the credit that his numbers deserve, even if he is a HOFer

edit- No players on the HOF top 70 list please, I'm looking for player that the AVERAGE fan has never heard of but contributed immensly to their teams success, so being on a winning team should also be a factor.

Last edited:

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
Gordie Howe. A lot of fans think of his longevity and don't realize that he won 6 Art Rosses, 6 Harts, and led the playoffs in scoring 6 times.

ScaredStreit

May 5, 2006
Tampa, FL
Agreed about Bossy. I also think Ron Francis doesn`t get nearly enough attention

First person that popped into my mind.

-1,798 points (4th all time)
-549 goals (24th all time)
-1,249 assists (2nd all time)
-2 Stanley Cups
-1 Selke
-3 Lady Byngs
-1st ballot hall of famer
-Great captain/leadership

Somehow he's been brushed aside as an all-time great. Never understood it.

Colt 55

RIP Oscar and Jose
Jan 28, 2012
Coronado
Gordie Howe. People just talk about his longevity and don't realize that he won 6 Art Rosses, 6 Harts, and led the playoffs in scoring 6 times.

I would totally disagree and say most people do realize how good he was considering he is ranked the 3rd greatest of all time, not exactly underrated, maybe underappreciated

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
I'd say early stars like Morenz, Vezina or Shore, mostly (and sadly) because a lot of people doesn't even know who they were.

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
Not my team, but Mike Bossy is still underrated today. Maybe the best pure goal scorer ever.

When I saw this thread title, the very first name that popped into my mind was Mike Bossy. From a "homer" perspective, I'll also say Neal Broten. He's an idol here in Minnesota, but I don't think he gets enough credit from hockey fans across the spectrum.

BlackNgold 84

Known Kellyist
Nov 21, 2011
Massachusetts
Mike Gartner
Phil Housley
Al Macinnis

I believe all 3 are hall of famers but i don't think their names are mentioned enough.. they also ended their careers when i was younger but remember hearing stories about how great they were.

For the Bruins a name you hear from the older and more seasoned bruins fans but maybe not from the newer generation if Steve Kasper not points wise but from what i saw of him he was a good on the pk and could shadow some of the best (or at least try to shadow gretzky).

Warrant*

Tie Domi
Dave Semenko

seems to be an anti enforcer sentiment on these forums

BlackNgold 84

Known Kellyist
Nov 21, 2011
Massachusetts
Tie Domi
Dave Semenko

seems to be an anti enforcer sentiment on these forums

I was thinking more the along the lines as good players or possible hall of famers that were over shadowed by the big names.. especially in the 80's... but we can go there.. Probert since he was one of the best fighters of all time and he could actually play.

Ray
Wendel Clark
Lyndon Byers
Shayne Corson

Those are some tough guys who could fight..

calahanzoer

Oct 24, 2009
Malmö
Never hear anything about HÃ¥kan Loob. He is/was huge here in sweden but he is the only swede who has scored over 50 goals in the NHL. It's a shame he didn't stay in the NHL...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad