Most Surprising and Biggest Let Downs

Connor McConnor

Nov 22, 2017
I would agree with Bouchard but not Dobson. He played extremely well in the Russia and Finland games.

Not sure we watched the same tourney. Dobson continuously gave the puck away in his own zone against Finland, looked nervous on his breakout passes and got outworked/muscled along the boards in his own zone multiple times. The only thing he did well was jump into the play. How do you define "extremely well". Against Russia he was probably the 4th best dman on the team. These 2 were supposed to be the leaders of the group.

DFAC

Jan 19, 2008
I would agree with Bouchard but not Dobson. He played extremely well in the Russia and Finland games.

For a defence that was so hyped the whole unit as a whole was very underwhelming. Mitchell was the best dman IMO, the rest were all just meh

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
For a defence that was so hyped the whole unit as a whole was very underwhelming. Mitchell was the best dman IMO, the rest were all just meh
The stats show Smith and Bouchard were the only ones able to move the puck and Bouchard was much less successful doing so. Mitchell had the least controlled zone exits of any defensmen and had a lot of trouble getting beat at the line and in the neutral zone.

People will see what thy want to see. The statistics show only one defensmen was able to create offense and keep the puck out of his own end.

Zack Kelly

Jan 1, 2019
that's arguable that Mitchell was the best not sure bout that one chief

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
Podkolzin has been very noticeable. He should be a major threat at the WJCs next season if he gets the chance.

Mick Riddleton

“A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.”
Apr 24, 2017
Niagara
Biggest letdown is how over hyped this whole tourney is to a country's pride. Dial it back a few notches TSN and Sportsnet the dominating days are over and have been for a long time. It is a global game for teens and most fans forget it in a few weeks if not hours.

Reactions: Zack Kelly

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
Biggest letdown is how over hyped this whole tourney is to a country's pride. Dial it back a few notches TSN and Sportsnet the dominating days are over and have been for a long time. It is a global game for teens and most fans forget it in a few weeks if not hours.
Dominating days sure, luck often plays a part in short elimination tournaments and a hot goaltender often is the difference but Canada continues to send the best team on paper every year. What line does Veleno play on any of the other teams? 1st on all of them, maybe 2nd if you push it. He is the 13th FWD on Canada. He is 2 PPG in the CHL. This happens every year too.

Reactions: FanSince72

BlitzSnipe

Dec 28, 2014
Team Russia was a bit of a letdown unfortunately. Year after year since 2011, Team Russia has been unable to win Gold. Something needs to change in the system. Even with Bronze or Silver every year, that doesn't cut it for WJC results.

Zack Kelly

Jan 1, 2019
Team Russia was a bit of a letdown unfortunately. Year after year since 2011, Team Russia has been unable to win Gold. Something needs to change in the system. Even with Bronze or Silver every year, that doesn't cut it for WJC results.
I thought they would have been able to do it this year. unfortunate

Reactions: BlitzSnipe

BlitzSnipe

Dec 28, 2014
I thought they would have been able to do it this year. unfortunate

Indeed, but again, the lack of team play and general problems with puck control and giveaways seem to have let them down. I'm still not sure about the Shashkov goal that wasn't counted, it seems to have touched his stick after it hit his skates. But that result can't be changed now.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
I don’t know why people are so surprised by Bouchard sucking, he’s always just stood and watched the play in the defensive zone. He’s not good at all in that regard, even in the OHL.

Zack Kelly

Jan 1, 2019
I don’t know why people are so surprised by Bouchard sucking, he’s always just stood and watched the play in the defensive zone. He’s not good at all in that regard, even in the OHL.
I've never watch Bouchard play in the OHL to be fair. thanks for the info!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad