Most Surprising and Biggest Let Downs

Zack Kelly

Jan 1, 2019
After the preliminary round I have decided on my choices for the most surprising performances and the biggest let downs so far!
Most Surprising:

1. Ryan Poehling
I myself as a Habs fan has been dieing too see this kid in the red white and blue but is patiently waiting for his arrival, his performance in the world juniors has been very reassuring too how solid of a player he is he plays a 200FT game and has been one of if not the best player thus far is the tournament leading in points and in a 3 way tie for goals. Yes I know 3 of his goals are in one game and he has a crazy high shooting percentage but he has been stellar whole tournament.

2. Alexandre Romanov
Sticking too my guns with the Montreal prospects seeing Romanovs 0 points in 28 games so far in the KHL was slightly alarming but not too worrying he is still young and has lots of improvements too make but this tourney has shown us the skill he has to shut down defensively and create chances offensively. just to compare he has the same number of points as Kravtsov who is the same draft year but a top 10 pick and a forward.

3. Philipp Kurashev
Already looking like a 4th round steal for Chicago who is in dire need for some steals Kurashev is having a great season in the QMJHL and continued his success into the Juniors on a decent but not great Switzerland squad with 5 goals in 4 games he is looking strong so far

Biggest Let Downs:

1. Filip Zadina
6th overall pick of the Red Wings hasn't exactly caught traction yet in the AHL this season although still young doesn't look good because of how strong this kid was supposed to be coming out of the draft with just 1 point in 4 games and a -2 thus far Zadina hasn't looked good. I don't think Wings fans should be worried but it is disappointing too see him struggling so far.

2. Mads Soegaard
The 6.7ft tall 18 year old danish is having a great season in the WHL this season but without being able to find form for Denmark he isn't helping the fact that Denmark is struggling. I wouldn't blame the projected first round goalie for the 2019 draft for Denmark's struggles but i cant not put him here looking at his numbers in league V.S the tournament.

3. Eeli Tolvanen
For someone who was supposed to be a difference maker at the beginning of the year for the Preds hasn't found his form from the KHL in the year previous. Not making the roster this season for Nashville and struggling in the AHL Tolvanen needed this tourney to show he is still a top prospect but without a goal in any of the 4 games he is not turning any heads as of now.

Honorable Mentions:
Alexis Lafreniere - Still crazy young I know DONT KILL ME but like 1 point in 4 games
Rasmus Kupari
Vasili Podkolzin - not great for projected top 5 pick
Jaret Anderson-Dolan
Jared McIssac

Reactions: ImNeverWrong

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
Lafreniere. This guy is supposedly a McDavid/Crosby level prospect (He's not).

He's been invisible on the ice. Poor decision making in both offensive zones, and defensive zones.
1 point that was a secondary assist when they were blowing out Denmark.

Easily Canada's worst player, and this tournament is showing how he will be a good player 1 day, but he is far from the generational tag so many want to slap on him.

Reactions: ImNeverWrong

Zack Kelly

Jan 1, 2019
I agree he hasn't been well but you gotta remember he is one of the youngest players in the tourney as he is not eligible for draft til the 2020 draft so I didn't wanna be too hard on him. Next year if he doesn't pick it up in the tourney then i would start too be concerned. Right now i'm just not totally sold on him. Not ready to call him a bust tho

Go Wings

Sep 26, 2009
Chatham, ON
After the preliminary round I have decided on my choices for the most surprising performances and the biggest let downs so far!
Most Surprising:

1. Ryan Poehling
I myself as a Habs fan has been dieing too see this kid in the red white and blue but is patiently waiting for his arrival, his performance in the world juniors has been very reassuring too how solid of a player he is he plays a 200FT game and has been one of if not the best player thus far is the tournament leading in points and in a 3 way tie for goals. Yes I know 3 of his goals are in one game and he has a crazy high shooting percentage but he has been stellar whole tournament.

2. Alexandre Romanov
Sticking too my guns with the Montreal prospects seeing Romanovs 0 points in 28 games so far in the KHL was slightly alarming but not too worrying he is still young and has lots of improvements too make but this tourney has shown us the skill he has to shut down defensively and create chances offensively. just to compare he has the same number of points as Kravtsov who is the same draft year but a top 10 pick and a forward.

3. Philipp Kurashev
Already looking like a 4th round steal for Chicago who is in dire need for some steals Kurashev is having a great season in the QMJHL and continued his success into the Juniors on a decent but not great Switzerland squad with 5 goals in 4 games he is looking strong so far

Biggest Let Downs:

1. Filip Zadina
6th overall pick of the Red Wings hasn't exactly caught traction yet in the AHL this season although still young doesn't look good because of how strong this kid was supposed to be coming out of the draft with just 1 point in 4 games and a -2 thus far Zadina hasn't looked good. I don't think Wings fans should be worried but it is disappointing too see him struggling so far.

2. Mads Soegaard
The 6.7ft tall 18 year old danish is having a great season in the WHL this season but without being able to find form for Denmark he isn't helping the fact that Denmark is struggling. I wouldn't blame the projected first round goalie for the 2019 draft for Denmark's struggles but i cant not put him here looking at his numbers in league V.S the tournament.

3. Eeli Tolvanen
For someone who was supposed to be a difference maker at the beginning of the year for the Preds hasn't found his form from the KHL in the year previous. Not making the roster this season for Nashville and struggling in the AHL Tolvanen needed this tourney to show he is still a top prospect but without a goal in any of the 4 games he is not turning any heads as of now.

Honorable Mentions:
Alexis Lafreniere - Still crazy young I know DONT KILL ME but like 1 point in 4 games
Rasmus Kupari
Vasili Podkolzin - not great for projected top 5 pick
Jaret Anderson-Dolan
Jared McIssac

Jared McIsaac has had a good tournament. He has played well defensively and plays well on the PK and just makes a lot of smart simple plays. So he got suspended for a big hit...big deal.

Zack Kelly

Jan 1, 2019
Jared McIsaac has had a good tournament. He has played well defensively and plays well on the PK and just makes a lot of smart simple plays. So he got suspended for a big hit...big deal.

He hasn't been awful, just I believe people expected more from the entire defense core in general and McIsaac picking up that suspension it left their defense even weaker that's all. that's why he didn't make the actual top 3 just not entirely as good as most expected

Go Wings

Sep 26, 2009
Chatham, ON
He hasn't been awful, just I believe people expected more from the entire defense core in general and McIsaac picking up that suspension it left their defense even weaker that's all. that's why he didn't make the actual top 3 just not entirely as good as most expected

McIsaac came in as the 7th defenseman. He has had to earn his ice time which he has done. Yah did you see Canada's defense without him against Russia giving away all those breakaways and high quality scoring opportunities? It is almost as if McIsaac has been valuable part of that defense and they needed him against Russia.

Canada's defense haz been disappointing but not because of McIsaac. It is because of their 2 best coming into the tournament Bouchard and Dobson not playing up to their abilities.

Now take off the Montreal glasses and stop ragging on McIsaac.

Legend123

Jul 3, 2016
Canada only gave up 2 goals vs a better team
I wouldn't say the defense was left weaker. Just a boneheaded play from Bouchard and his d partner

Reactions: Zack Kelly

Zack Kelly

Jan 1, 2019
McIsaac came in as the 7th defenseman. He has had to earn his ice time which he has done. Yah did you see Canada's defense without him against Russia giving away all those breakaways and high quality scoring opportunities? It is almost as if McIsaac has been valuable part of that defense and they needed him against Russia.

Canada's defense haz been disappointing but not because of McIsaac. It is because of their 2 best coming into the tournament Bouchard and Dobson not playing up to their abilities.

Now take off the Montreal glasses and stop ragging on McIsaac.

My friend, once again he isn't having a terrible tourney but that being said he is tied at second last in defensive scoring with only one assist in 3 games, Dobson has only one goal and looking at it now he should be on my honorable mentions as well. Bouchard is doing just fine tho not sure what you're on about there 3 assists in 4 games is decent +7 and hasn't taken any penalties. I'm not ragging at McIsaac once again he isn't even on the list he was just an honorable mention. He should be preforming better that's all i'm trying too say

Zack Kelly

Jan 1, 2019
Canada only gave up 2 goals vs a better team
I wouldn't say the defense was left weaker. Just a boneheaded play from Bouchard and his d partner[

in general the Defence that Canada has for this tourney isn't great. not awful but not great and losing McIssac for that game hurt them a bit because of his hit earlier in tourney

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
My friend, once again he isn't having a terrible tourney but that being said he is tied at second last in defensive scoring with only one assist in 3 games, Dobson has only one goal and looking at it now he should be on my honorable mentions as well. Bouchard is doing just fine tho not sure what you're on about there 3 assists in 4 games is decent +7 and hasn't taken any penalties. I'm not ragging at McIsaac once again he isn't even on the list he was just an honorable mention. He should be preforming better that's all i'm trying too say

Like all of that came against Denmark.

Reactions: Red and Go Wings

Coach Parker

Stanley Cup Champion
Jun 22, 2008
Vancouver, B.C.
As a person attending the games I have been pleasantly surprised by Shen on Russia. Was watching for him given his history (not drafted then the Bruins took him 212th) and he stood out as one of the best Russian forwards this tournament. Did not expect that.

Would like to see a more physical game and intensity from Studnicka.

13 others

Apr 18, 2007
Lafreniere. This guy is supposedly a McDavid/Crosby level prospect (He's not).

He's been invisible on the ice. Poor decision making in both offensive zones, and defensive zones.
1 point that was a secondary assist when they were blowing out Denmark.

Easily Canada's worst player, and this tournament is showing how he will be a good player 1 day, but he is far from the generational tag so many want to slap on him.
His point is a goal. It was a very nice goal, too. Shows how much you know. He hasn't been getting much ice time but after the Swiss game he has played great.

Zack Kelly

Jan 1, 2019
His point is a goal. It was a very nice goal, too. Shows how much you know. He hasn't been getting much ice time but after the Swiss game he has played great.
Didn't notice he called it a secondary assist lol thanks. I know he hasn't gotten a ton of ice and hasn't been aweful. I just want more you know? I realise he is young still and all and that's why he is only an honorable mention. Still got talent. Just not finding his groove

Zack Kelly

Jan 1, 2019
As someone who wasn't impressed by Elvenes during preseason, he's certainly impressed me thus far.
4 points in 4 games ain't bad I agree he is doing well. Just doesn't make the top 3 cut for me I should have made an honorable mention for the good performances aswell

Hoquei

May 24, 2018
Brazil
No mention of Kravtsov putting up impressive numbers while playing out of position?

He entered this tournament as arguably the best player or very close to that. I'm not surprised he's playing well even out of position, so I do not think he fits that thread.

Shen was the player that surprised me the most. Poehling was also a welcome surprise.

Tolvanen and Zadina were my biggest disappointments. I did not expect dominance, but at least a greater impact on that WCJ.
Lafreniere also left me a bit disappointed. But he is one of the youngest players in the tournament, so I can understand why he has not yet been able to show his potential.

admiralcadillac

Oct 22, 2017
Podkolzin looks like he will be very good

I am also a fan of the Kazakh goalie for whatever reason

lakai17

Aug 10, 2006
You obviously haven't watched much of Russia at all without your homer goggles on Romanov?

:dunno:

Podkolzin has been doing nothing but turning heads so far this tourney. He's even getting top pp minutes over some of the older boys which is unheard of on any Russian junior team.

Legend123

Jul 3, 2016
You obviously haven't watched much of Russia at all without your homer goggles on Romanov?

:dunno:

Podkolzin has been doing nothing but turning heads so far this tourney. He's even getting top pp minutes over some of the older boys which is unheard of on any Russian junior team.
Its quite clear that Romanov has been Russia's MVP along with Alexeyev so far. Personally, i expected Kravtsov to be much better on 5 on 5 hockey, coming from the KHL as one of the most experienced players and better ones at the tourny .

lakai17

Aug 10, 2006
Its quite clear that Romanov has been Russia's MVP along with Alexeyev so far. Personally, i expected Kravtsov to be much better on 5 on 5 hockey, coming from the KHL as one of the most experienced players and better ones at the tourny .

Romanov has been great I agree. I'm very high on both Romanov and Alexeyev.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->