Most overrated player in the NHL right now

Who is currently the most overrated player in the NHL?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Skolman

Feb 16, 2018
Of course there are 5 Leafs on this list, and of course Matthews is winning.

Everyone calls out Leafs fans for whining about the anti-Leafs bias here but this is pretty obvious. In no way is he the most overrated player in the league.
I suppose this is the result of Leafs fans & the Toronto media shoving down our throat that Matthews>=McDavid.

DieselPig

Oct 20, 2016
He has been very far off when it comes to regular season point production. Makar has a 0.88 PPG in the NHL, Hughes a 0.78 and Dahlin a 0.60 ( 0.68 last season while becoming the second highest scoring teenage defenceman ever). Heiskanen has a ppg of 0.45 in the NHL, 0,51 last season.

Lets compare some defensive and two way stats, with the team rank since these stats are almost irrelevant otherwise, since they are heavily influenced by team puck possession.

Relative CF%
Hughes 6.0, team rank 4
Dahlin 3.6, team rank 4
Makar 2.6, team rank 7
Heiskanen 2.5, team rank 10

Relative FF%
Dahlin 1.5, team rank 8
Makar 2.5, team rank 10
Heiskanen 2.0, team rank 10
Hughes 5.5, team rank 5

Blocks : Heiskanen 84, Dahlin 51, Hughes 46, Makar 47.
Hits: Heiskanen 40, Dahlin 72, Makar 45, Hughes 7
Takeaways/giveaways: Heiskanen - 37, Dahlin - 26, Hughes - 25, Makar -6.

What picture does these stats paint? There is not much to separate them defensively, based on this. Makar is probably slightly worse than the rest in his own zone, but defensive ability is generally not really something you can base on stats. Offensively though, there clearly is a substantial difference.

Aren’t you the guy who said Sam Girard is a better defensemen than Miro? Lmao

You obviously have something against Miro. He absolutely belongs in the Dahlin, Makar, Hughes group and is no doubt the best all around of the group so far.

If you actually watched games, you would know that Miro is given a lot of hard minutes. If you want to dive into advanced stats, check offensive zones starts, PP TOI vs defensive zone starts. I think you will see Miro isn’t being used in offensive situations as much as those other guppy’s.

He’s also being matched up to shut down other teams top lines, plays a lot of PK, plays PP2 due to Klingberg QBing PP1, and is still able to produce a great amount of offence. 26 pts in 27 playoff games while leading his team to 2 wins from the Stanley Cup. And if Miro has on a more offensive team his regular season point totals would be much higher.

Arguments and discussions can be had about who is better out of Dahlin, Makar, Hughes and Heiskanen, but as soon as you say Miro doesn’t deserve to be in the conversation with them you lose all credibility.

Rob Brown

Way She Goes
Dec 17, 2009
I suppose this is the result of Leafs fans & the Toronto media shoving down our throat that Matthews>=McDavid.
I don't think any sane Leafs fan actually thinks that. I recall one article a few years ago on TSN or something where they discussed whether Matthews was close, but no one said he was better. No Leafs fan would say that now. If Matthews was on any other team he would be universally loved.

Reactions: Pyrophorus

goonybird

Young boy expert
Jul 9, 2015
none of these are named DeAngelo, Hamilton, Zucker, Radulov, OEL, or Kase.

Being overpaid is not the same as overrated

Last edited:

Skolman

Feb 16, 2018
how on earth is Draisaitl not on this list???
Because you and your crew claimed he was a bum that just rode McDavid's coattails.

But ya, of course you're still claiming he's overrated after the season he just had. Unreal.

Eat those words, dirte.

Skolman

Feb 16, 2018
I don't think any sane Leafs fan actually thinks that. I recall one article a few years ago on TSN or something where they discussed whether Matthews was close, but no one said he was better. No Leafs fan would say that now. If Matthews was on any other team he would be universally loved.
Honestly, debatable.

It also wasn't just a handful of Leafs fans that were claiming that. It was a large portion, including Jeff O'Neill and those clowns from Leafs Lunch

Rob Brown

Way She Goes
Dec 17, 2009
Honestly, debatable.

It also wasn't just a handful of Leafs fans that were claiming that. It was a large portion, including Jeff O'Neill and those clowns from Leafs Lunch
Feel free to share a link where O'Neill said that he's better than McDavid.

Regardless, some of you guys need to operate outside the HF bubble and realize and accept that he's a good player who is appropriately rated based on his ability and talent.

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
Seth Jones on the list? He’s a legit top 5 dman in the league. Get him off there.

Matthews/Petterson are 1/2 imo.
You may have just answered your own question.
It is the same reason why Matthews is on this list.
"Matthews on the list? He’s a legit top 5 C in the league. Get him off there. "

How many Norris wins does he have to be considered top Dman? Same logic as Matthews but just on D.
Matthews is elite talent no doubt but will need a couple 100+ pt seasons under his belt to be considered top 5 of anything.

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton
I'm a leafs fan vote but I voted Matthews.

It's not that Matthews isn't elite because he is. Actually he's better then Tavares and Rielly and he's going to be a 55-60 goal player in this league and he's amazing. But his point per game is consistently outside the top 15 (16th last year) but is ranked ahead of many of the top 10 guys in a lot of polls.

McDavid, Mackinnon, Kucherov, Drai, Hedman, Malkin, Crosby, Kane are all players who are better right now.

Matthews will be a top 10 player in the league, for sure. But let's see him convincingly earn that status, hopefully next year. He should develop into a top 10 guy next year. A rough list the top 10

1. McDavid
2. Mackinnon
3. Kucherov
4. Hedman
5. Draisital
6. Kane
7. Malkin
8. Crosby
9. Panarin
10. Marchand

Because Matthews is younger then half of those guys and has more room to improve I think Matthews could pass Malkin, Crosby, Marchand, Panarin, Kane (if those guys regress) but right now he's outside the top 10 imo

Last edited:

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
The top 4 will probably all be on Canadian teams as they have the most fans. Matthews will go first as an easy target for fans of other Canadian teams who want to pile on. Then Leaf and Oiler fans will vote in EP. Next will be Gaudreau. Then maybe Price. Edmonton is probably safe as they only have two really highly rated players and both carry the team and they aren’t even listed as an option.
If Drai doesn’t do as well next year he’ll probably be near the top of the list.

J T Money

Biggest Bozo
Jan 21, 2016
Of all the names to pick from that list...I assume you have no issue with Point or 3 TBL players being listed in the top-10 though?

Point? He should be top 20 in Vaselevski’s spot.

I can’t imagine how anyone can justify Matthews over Kucherov.

Skolman

Feb 16, 2018
Feel free to share a link where O'Neill said that he's better than McDavid.

Regardless, some of you guys need to operate outside the HF bubble and realize and accept that he's a good player who is appropriately rated based on his ability and talent.

I'm sure there is more out there also, don't really feel like digging for it though.

Rob Brown

Way She Goes
Dec 17, 2009
I'm a leafs fan vote but I voted Matthews.

It's not that Matthews isn't elite because he is. Actually he's better then Tavares and Rielly and he's going to be a 55-60 goal player in this league and he's amazing. But his point per game is consistently outside the top 15 (16th last year) but is ranked ahead of many of the top 10 guys in a lot of polls.

McDavid, Mackinnon, Kucherov, Drai, Hedman, Malkin, Crosby, Kane are all players who are better right now.

Matthews will be a top 10 player in the league, for sure. But let's see him convincingly earn that status, hopefully next year. He should develop into a top 10 guy next year. Right now the top 10

1. McDavid
2. Mackinnon
3. Kucherov
4. Hedman
5. Draisital
6. Kane
7. Malkin
8. Crosby
9. Panarin
10. Marchand
The problem with this poll is that for the most part it includes star players (or very good players). When I think of the term 'overrated' I think of average or lower end players that get a lot of praise and recognition for no real reason, not players like Matthews, Carlson, Stone, Barkov, Jones etc.

Also, top 10 or top 20 lists like this are very subjective. If you don't have Matthews in the top 10, is he really the most 'overrated' player in the league just because some fans/posters do have him in the top 10? There's plenty of movement in the top 20 based on people's personal opinions.

jcs0218

Apr 20, 2018
Matthews has some flaws in his game.

But he might be the most dangerous player in the league with the puck on his stick in the offensive end. He has a lethal shot release, and can beat goaltenders with wrist shots while standing on the side boards.

If you watch Leafs games and you are cheering against the Leafs, he is the type of player to cause anxiety whenever he has the puck. Because he can score from anywhere in the offensive zone.

jcs0218

Apr 20, 2018
Makar and Hughes are both overrated.

They are touted as top 5 or top 10 defensemen in the NHL, and neither of them even play the penalty kill.

Not playing the penalty kill means that your own team doesn't trust you very much in your own end.

How can you be a top 5 or top 10 defenseman, and not play the penalty kill?

The only way a defenseman should be able to get away with not playing the penalty kill and still be considered elite is if they score 75-90 points a season. Which neither Makar or Hughes do.

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
It's hard not to vote Matthews when you live in Ottawa and are subjected to the Leafs media as much as I am. They make him out to be better than he actually is, but I'm not sure homerism necessarily makes a player 'overrated' so I didn't vote.

Reactions: User9992

Maplebeasts

I See Demons!!!!!
Oct 26, 2014
Barrie, Ontario
Because of the media. it's not like it's a secret that the Leafs media (Sportsnet and TSN) are literally in the busines of over-hyping Leafs players, those networks have ownership shares in the Leafs and are obviously going to try and hype up their investments, it would be bad business if they didn't. it's just too bad the rest of Canada has to put up a 24/7 Leafs infomercial from TSN and Sportsnet. And yes, Matthews is overrated.
Ppg+ in every season except for his rookie year, ppg+ in his career, and was just pacing for 54 goals as a 22 year old. How the f*** is that THE most overrated player in the league. Hell that isn't even an overrated player.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
It's hard not to vote Matthews when you live in Ottawa and are subjected to the Leafs media as much as I am. They make him out to be better than he actually is, but I'm not sure homerism necessarily makes a player 'overrated' so I didn't vote.
Yeah some of the early takes by the mainly Toronto media were really over the top.
upload_2020-10-16_9-21-37.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad