Most overrated player in the NHL right now

Who is currently the most overrated player in the NHL?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Spilot23

Dec 30, 2014
It just makes no sense to search the internet for the few random homers who thought Matthews was better than McDavid and then use this as the default thought for the hockey community so you can say Matthews is overrated.

The majority of hockey fans rate him exactly as he should be rated.
Probably doesn't make sense to you but when you read thread like these that's when you start thinking boy he's overrated whether if those are random homers. I think he's fairly rated now minus the annual NHL/TSN rankings but back then ? Absolutely no. Either way polls/threads starts like how you mention it random homers who overrate their own. Pretty sure we or most of us already done that once.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Name one person who has made this comparison LOL.

Seth Jones just had his coming out party. No one compared him to any defenseman in the league. Talked about as a pairing? Yeah they're probably the best pair in the league, but not individually.

Seth Jones doesn't belong in this list and is rated properly.

Seth Jones just had his coming out party. No one compared him to any defenseman in the league. Talked about as a pairing? Yeah they're probably the best pair in the league, but not individually.

lol literally anyone on NBCSN. All playoffs long.

Ryan Michaels

Mar 21, 2017
HF hates Matthews with a passion. Its quite humorous.

Seriously you'd think he's f***ing Matt Cooke. Matthews is in no way, shape or form overrated, no one who thinks he's the most overrated player in the league deserves to be taken seriously. If it's a Leaf it's Marner or Rielly.

Reactions: JackFr

JackFr

Jun 18, 2010

I mean, that's your opinion, but he's considered a no-doubt top five defenceman in the league generally (see this forum's top defenceman vote) and an absolute stud after these playoffs. I don't think he's either of those things. So I consider him to be very overrated.

Ryan Michaels

Mar 21, 2017
So as expected everyones voting for Matthews because during his rookie season TSN pumped his tires as possibly surpassing McDavid...that was a damn long time ago. And if that's the barometer how is Patrick Laine not winning? I mean sure Laine is massively underrated now but that apparently doesn't matter, in 2018 the hfboards Finish invasion and Jets fans were absolutely nuts, so he wins.

Craig Button

The C is for Coward - Brad Marchand 2024
Jul 28, 2015
Leaf Nation Torontonistan
I don't know why Leafs fans are upset by that poll result, they should actually be happy Matthews has finally won something.

699479364.jpg

Varan

Nov 27, 2016
Toronto, Ontario
I mean, that's your opinion, but he's considered a no-doubt top five defenceman in the league generally (see this forum's top defenceman vote) and an absolute stud after these playoffs. I don't think he's either of those things. So I consider him to be very overrated.
If many think of him to be at that level already, then how is he overrated? He's rated properly lol

Skolman

Feb 16, 2018
Draisaitl, Aho, Eichel and MacKinnon should be options
The funny thing with Draisaitl is before this past year, everyone just said he was a guy who rode shotgun to McDavid.

He didn't get close to the amount of respect he deserved, including on HF. It was basically just Oiler fans who knew how good he really was/is.

Now all of a sudden he's overrated?

Reactions: TheNeutralPresident

JackFr

Jun 18, 2010
If many think of him to be at that level already, then how is he overrated? He's rated properly lol
Like I said, if you don't think he is elite or top five, as I don't, then he is overrated.

I think you are overrating him. Not sure there's any other way to phrase that.

Varan

Nov 27, 2016
Toronto, Ontario
Like I said, if you don't think he is elite or top five, as I don't, then he is overrated.

I think you are overrating him. Not sure there's any other way to phrase that.
I don't think he's as high as people think he is nor is he low. He's top-10 for me.

JackFr

Jun 18, 2010
I don't think he's as high as people think he is nor is he low. He's top-10 for me.
If you consider him top 10, you consider him overrated, because the consensus is now that he is top 5 at least.

Varan

Nov 27, 2016
Toronto, Ontario
If you consider him top 10, you consider him overrated, because the consensus is now that he is top 5 at least.
I mean he's a solid defenseman who is elite in his own zone unlike majority of the defenseman in today's game. It's an offensive league so most are putting up more points compared to the more defensive defenseman. He's not going to wow you with his stats, more-so with his play

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad