Most overrated player in the NHL right now

Who is currently the most overrated player in the NHL?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Krewe

Mar 12, 2019
He isn't a stats type of player. He's not putting up Carlson/Karlsson/Burns numbers. He's a defensive defenseman
Then maybe he should be better at defense. because defensive Dmen tend to have good defensive numbers.

Also I lied. Seth Jones IS very good as a puck carrier and moving into the zone, but he isn't a top DMan in either zone

Is Seth Jones Actually Elite?.

Reactions: JackFr

Varan

Nov 27, 2016
Toronto, Ontario
Then maybe he should be better at defense. because defensive Dmen tend to have good defensive numbers.

Also I lied. Seth Jones IS very good as a puck carrier and moving into the zone, but he isn't a top DMan in either zone

Is Seth Jones Actually Elite?.
Well he’s 26 and coming off of a stellar performance. Let’s see if he continues to play at the level he was in the bubble.

Many players are late bloomers and 26 isn’t late at all. That’s usually around his peak/prime.

Krewe

Mar 12, 2019
Well he’s 26 and coming off of a stellar performance. Let’s see if he continues to play at the level he was in the bubble.

Many players are late bloomers and 26 isn’t late at all. That’s usually around his peak/prime.
That's the thing. He wasn't all that good in the bubble. He was awful against Tampa, and not exactly amazing against Toronto. He just has a great skillset so he looks good, but for multiple reasons his results are sub par

Reactions: TomasHertlsRooster

JoelWarlord

Ex-Noob616
May 7, 2012
Halifax
Drai's building shelves for his Art Ross, Lindsay and Hart Trophy at the moment
Yes, which is why I think he's overrated. If you follow baseball I pretty much think Draisaitl's MVP is Cabrera's from 2012 when Trout should have won.

I realize you disagree with me and that's fine, but "he won a bunch of awards" isn't really a rebuttal. If I'm saying a player that just won the MVP is overrated that implicitly means I don't think he should have won the MVP.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
Hughes and Makar should not be on this list. Rookie d-men putting up 50 point seasons can't be overrated

Mar 26, 2010
It is absolutely hilarious that Matthews leads this poll, because He is by far the very best player in the poll. No one else is on his level here, and the haters voting against him would take him in a heart beat on their team.

Deadly Dogma

Sponsor
May 3, 2016
should be Seth Jones, Elias Pettersson certanily not Matthews or Marner. if anything they are getting underrated.

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
Yeah nylander gets a bit over rated but I wouldn't say he is more so than auston.

I remember leaf fans saying nylander was better than tavares around 3 years ago rofl

still wasn’t referring to Nylander either
It’s the 2nd line center making $16 million last season
He should be WAYYY higher.

Reactions: Garthinater

Dache

Feb 12, 2018
It is absolutely hilarious that Matthews leads this poll, because He is by far the very best player in the poll. No one else is on his level here, and the haters voting against him would take him in a heart beat on their team.
Comments like this are why he’s getting votes as overrated. Is he the best, probably. I would say he’s the best, but Barkov, Pettersson, Marner, Jones are all very good and at least close to Matthews.

LetsGoBLUES91

Jan 8, 2013
Voted Binnington

This is so strange to me. I guess it depends on any persons definition of overrated.

He makes 4 mil a year...signed AFTER a cup win. And no one ever talks about him. He's a decent starting goaltender with a clutch factor. I don't know anyone who ever says otherwise.

I can't believe he has 37 votes.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
This is so strange to me. I guess it depends on any persons definition of overrated.

He makes 4 mil a year...signed AFTER a cup win. And no one ever talks about him. He's a decent starting goaltender with a clutch factor. I don't know anyone who ever says otherwise.

I can't believe he has 37 votes.

NHL dot com said Binnington was the 4th best goaltender in the NHL going into the Stanley Cup Qualifiers.

Our Lady Peace

Aug 12, 2014
BC
Who's the most overrated by others? I generally disagree with anyone listing Makar and Hughes and top 10 defensemen in the NHL right now. They likely will be, but not now.

Laine IMO is pretty overrated considering his overall talent level but really he just doesn't move the needle for me a ton because of some parts of his skating. Laine really has trouble still at age 22 with explosiveness/sharpness in his agility. He's also not fast enough in a straight line to burn and run a north/south game. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying he's bad and frankly I think his talent level is insane, but he needs to work harder on skating.

Of the other listed players, John Carlson for me. Thank god Josi won the Norris over him.

Matthews isn't overrated, he's decidedly the best player on that team. He also isn't underrated either, as a Leafs poster claimed above. If anyone from Toronto it would be Marner who's overrated.

Last edited:
Reactions: stopclickbait
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad