Most Overrated Player by The Hockey Media?

Hattrickkane88

Apr 11, 2019
Kucherov, he's been labeled by many a future HOF after two great years. Yes he might do it but considering how long it took him to become a ppg player he's going to have to stay around for a while and stop choking in the playoffs to even come close to where the media puts him.

Reactions: Yurog

scott clam

Sep 12, 2018
A few years ago Toews was overrated by alot of media. Often considered a top 2-3 C in the NHL.

Why do you consider Matthews overrated?
Because for the last two or three years the Toronto media has been consistently rating him higher than he deserves to be based on "projection". But he's still not that player yet.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
Niedermayer was definitely the first name to come to mind. I think with players like Toews and Matthews they get talked about so much as "overrated" that it kind of comes around to the other side.

Niedermayer seemed to have that golden boy moniker his whole career, he was always the guy that was referenced as the prime example of a winner, and I think that elevated his status among players where he realistically had no business being among.

I think Phil Esposito gets overrated a lot as well. There's real legitimacy to being a product of Orr IMO.

Reactions: LeProspector

Steven Toast

Apr 3, 2019
Sol System
Because for the last two or three years the Toronto media has been consistently rating him higher than he deserves to be based on "projection". But he's still not that player yet.
Eh I don't think that a cities media overrating a local player means they are the "most overrated".

scott clam

Sep 12, 2018
I think Phil Esposito gets overrated a lot as well. There's real legitimacy to being a product of Orr IMO.
Here we go again....

Phil Esposito could score with Orr or without him. He became the first ever 100 point scorer(126) before Orr had his offensive breakthrough...and had a Hart-Ross season in '74, when Orr was injured.

Last edited:

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
Here we go again....

Phil Esposito could score with Orr or without him. He became the first ever 100 point scorer(123) before Orr had his offensive breakthrough...and had a Hart-Ross season in '74, when Orr was injured.
No he didn't. Once Orr got injured he was shipped out to NY that year and never even got remotely close to his totals again.

The 1968/69 season is the best argument, but Orr still broke the record for points by a D-man that year.

scott clam

Sep 12, 2018
Unless media all over the league is overrating Matthews he isn't the most overrated IMO.
Allow me to clarify: Toronto-based media. Specifically The Hockey News. Which is a national publication, like the Globe and Mail, which is based kn Toronto.

Sportsnet(Rogers) is also Toronto based, even though it has satellites in other territories. And of course they have exclusive rights to NHL broadcasts. And we're not even getting into TSN(Bell), CBC, Starmedia etc.

scott clam

Sep 12, 2018
No he didn't. Once Orr got injured he was shipped out to NY that year and never even got remotely close to his totals again.

The 1968/69 season is the best argument, but Orr still broke the record for points by a D-man that year.
My bad, it was '73 when Orr missed 15 games. Phil still lead the league in points that year.

But that the hockey writers still voted Phil MVP the next year, over Orr no less, just goes to show that people who actually watched the games considered Phil-O something more than just a "product of Orr". Scrubs don't pick up 5 Art Ross trophies just because they share the ice with the best player in the world(and by far the most dynamic and game-changing player the world had ever seen at that point in time).

Last edited:

Steven Toast

Apr 3, 2019
Sol System
Allow me to clarify: Toronto-based media. Specifically The Hockey News. Which is a national publication, like the Globe and Mail, which is based kn Toronto.

Sportsnet(Rogers) is also Toronto based, even though it has satellites in other territories. And of course they have exclusive rights to NHL broadcasts. And we're not even getting into TSN(Bell), CBC, Starmedia etc.
Still. This is the HOH. Do you really think Matthews is one of the most overrated in league history? For a handful of years being ranked a few spots high?

scott clam

Sep 12, 2018
Still. This is the HOH. Do you really think Matthews is one of the most overrated in league history? For a handful of years being ranked a few spots high?
Not league history, just at the moment. He hasn't been around long enough to be anything "in league history". And besides I was just listing a few guys who I thought were overrated. I could have named dozens if I wanted to.(but who wants to?)

But it's all subjective, and players go from "underrated" to "overrated" all the time. Up until recently Lindros was overrated, and then people started to think he was underrated. Or underappreciated at least.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad