Most overrated flyer and underrated flyer

trigzter

Feb 3, 2011
PA
I hate to say it but Voracek is overrated. In a few years we will hate his contract...he just isn't giroux. Not a pure playmaker by himself and his shot leaves a lot to be desired.

Underrated has to be cousins. he plays right where he should but I believe he excels in his role and could hold down the 3C spot for years especially with more experience. (obviously rubtsovs development could change this but time will tell)

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Voracek is a better ES playmaker than G. His size and speed let him create goals for the team out of nothing.

BackToTheBrierePatch

Nope not today.
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
On the current roster?

Overrated: Giroux. Pains me to say it, because he's a long time favorite of mine and still a very good player. But he's not an elite even strength player anymore, though I think much of the fanbase still views him as such.

Underrated: Gudas. I'm almost tempted to put Ghost here, but Ghost still gets a lot of hype so I'll refrain even though I'm not sure people realize the full extent of how good he is. Thus I'll go Gudas. He doesn't get much fanfare, but he's a very rare type in today's NHL is he's bruising D who can actually skate and play. Took heavy minutes against top lines often last season which isn't what he's best suited for but still filled in admirably.

Overrated prospect: Morin. I think Myers has passed him. Not that I don't think Morin will be an NHLer, I just think he's a bit overhyped by the fan base.

Underrated prospect: Friedman. I really like his ability and he seems driven.

I do think Giroux gets more free passes from below standard play of what we expect of him. Not sure if that makes him overrated or not.

underrated for me on this roster is still Couturier. Maybe not by this fan base but around the league by fans. He is probably the most important non goalie on this team other than Giroux.

If Morin doesn't live up to the hype he got he will be viewed as overrated. It is one of the reasons I HATE comparing prospects to NHL talent. I mean folks wanted to say he was the next Chris Pronger.
Flyer fans want to say Provorov is the next Lidstrom.
what happens when they don't reach those levels? are they overrated? are they busts? drives me ****ing crazy when prospects are compared to or are supposed to become a generational talent before they play a NHL game.

trigzter

Feb 3, 2011
PA
I cant argue specifically about jake as I dont watch every game because I work at night and dont understand advanced stats....but is their evidence to support he is a better playmaker at ES than giroux? and besides that we cant argue that girouxs shot is much better than jakes right?

YEM

Mar 7, 2010
I cant argue specifically about jake as I dont watch every game because I work at night and dont understand advanced stats....but is their evidence to support he is a better playmaker at ES than giroux? and besides that we cant argue that girouxs shot is much better than jakes right?
last year #28 had 18 assists at EV strength, #93 had 19
I do agree that he is a better playmaker than G @ EV strength but he needs a bounce-back year here to justify his salary and K length
can't be outside the top 60 in points when yr being paid/have a cap hit in the top 15 of the league
that said I think and hope he does have a great season this year

tymed

Jun 11, 2007
British Columbia

My left nut has a harder shot than Jake

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013

Last three seasons, Jake has seven more ES assists than Giroux in four fewer games. There are plays he can make that G can't because Voracek is bigger and faster. Giroux is the better shooter and PP passer.

WestrnPhlyr

Go away or I shall taunt you a second time.
Jul 17, 2015
NW Inland Empire
I would have to say that the most underrated player, at least on the boards (Main boards, not Flyers-land) is Steve Mason, without a doubt. No goalie gets more ignored or poo-pooed when playing well or has every mistake more blown out of proportion than Steve Mason. If you read the main boards Mason is, at best, a serviceable backup in some of the threads I have read. Good gravy, what planet do some of these people live on. :shakehead

hatcher

Sep 30, 2007
Kelowna BC
Last three seasons, Jake has seven more ES assists than Giroux in four fewer games. There are plays he can make that G can't because Voracek is bigger and faster. Giroux is the better shooter and PP passer.
Center has to pick it up then.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia

In fairness, some can be explained if we look deeper.

They have mostly played on the same line. So they have had the same LW. But Voracek gets to pass to Giroux who is a better goalscorer than Voracek. So in a way it makes sense.

If the 2 guys pass the puck to each other a lot, which they do, it sort of makes sense that Voracek could have more assists.....since Giroux has more goals.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad