Most overrated and underrated players on the Florida Panthers

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver
Got this from the main board but figured I would see what opinions are like around these parts.

Here are mine, crucify away!

Overrated - Ekblad - he had a great rookie season, but he was sensibly partnered up with Brian Campbell. So he was protected to an extent. A very exciting talent and has the potential to be one of the premier Dmen in the league. But he still has a lot of work to do to reach such a status. Fingers crossed!

Underrated - Campbell - he doesn't score the same amount of points as he used to, and he does have his flaws, but he's still at worst a number 3 Dman. Garrison, Gilbert previous partners should give him some money, because they got bigger contracts than they should have, due to being partnered up with him. He elevated their play, and made their stats look better than their actual talent.

Underrated -Brad Boyes - I think fans expect him to be a 1st line winger. He doesn't produce like a 1st line winger, but he doesn't get paid like a 1st line winger either. He gets paid what a 3rd liner does, and produces like a 3rd liner.

BeezKnees

Jun 4, 2010
Orlando, FL
Got this from the main board but figured I would see what opinions are like around these parts.

Here are mine, crucify away!

Overrated - Ekblad - he had a great rookie season, but he was sensibly partnered up with Brian Campbell. So he was protected to an extent. A very exciting talent and has the potential to be one of the premier Dmen in the league. But he still has a lot of work to do to reach such a status. Fingers crossed!

Underrated - Campbell - he doesn't score the same amount of points as he used to, and he does have his flaws, but he's still at worst a number 3 Dman. Garrison, Gilbert previous partners should give him some money, because they got bigger contracts than they should have, due to being partnered up with him. He elevated their play, and made their stats look better than their actual talent.

Underrated -Brad Boyes - I think fans expect him to be a 1st line winger. He doesn't produce like a 1st line winger, but he doesn't get paid like a 1st line winger either. He gets paid what a 3rd liner does, and produces like a 3rd liner.

Crucifying you for Ekblad. How can an 18-19 year old calder candidate dman be overrated??? Have you even seen his hair? ;)

My picks:
Overrated= Gudbranson (I get how important his role is/will be, but people are way too scared of parting with him)

Underrated= Huby dooby doo. This kid is turning into a stud but gets lost underneath the well-deserved Barkov/Bjugstad/ Ekblad love. He is no longer some weak pushover who gets knocked off the puck while trying to dangle through everyone. He is a legit #1 left wing, who is playing with grit.

PanthersHockey1

South by Southeast
Mar 11, 2010
Palm Trees
Shocker coming from me but...

Overrated-Kulikov AINEC. If you gave me one word to describe him it would be clumsy. Nothing he does seems intentional. His hockey IQ and maybe overall IQ is really low the way he plays.

Underrated-Mitchell I guess. He is the best defensive defensemen on the team by a large margin imho.

barkovcanfinnish

remember to breathe
Sep 22, 2014
Chicago, IL
Overrated - Ekblad a bit; but honestly the season he just had warrants a little overrating. He's being compared to Bobby Orr because he almost reached Orr's rookie point totals. I love Ekblad but.....comparing him to the best defenseman in NHL history in any regard already sounds like he's being overrated.

Underrated - Kulikov; Despite his past years of on-and-off play, I think this year was his most consistent and best year yet. He was a LOT better defensively and I feel his offensive game is starting to get better too. Some might not recognize it because of his past struggles and what not.

Big Bjugs

Amat Victoria Curam
Jan 9, 2013
Canada Eh
Overrated are Guds, Kulikov and Trochek.

Underrated is Boyes. This guys gets so much flack for a 3rd line winger, 3rd line pay and does a damn good job.

IM Clutcm

Jun 20, 2014
Miami, FL
Overrated - Trocheck; Went ice cold in the second half of the season and did not look good in his own end, especially when paired with Pirri and Hayes (though neither one of those two helped much). Top six potential, but hasn't brought it consistently enough yet. Still time though, as he's young and developing.

Underrated - Bolland; He gets a lot of hate for his contract, but he's still a good third liner and penalty killer. The penalty kill took a hit when he wasn't playing. Much prefer him in the bottom six over Trocheck, who's skillet is better served in an offensive role.

Android 16

Jun 23, 2011
Florida
Overrated:
Pirri - "Finally, we got a goal-scorer" - What about his game other than scoring? Yeah.
Barkov - "He's only 19." / "Guaranteed to be elite" - I believe it when I see it.
Hayes - "Size, strength, grit, character, effective" - Only when he wants to be.
Kulikov - "But he's so skilled" / "He has great intangibles" / "Just wait.." - I'm still waiting and I don't see it.
Gudbranson - Drafted 3rd overall in 2010. Enough said until we see more. More of what I have no idea. Just more.

Underrated:
Campbell - Hasn't missed a game since he became and Panther. Guy gets ripped for being lazy, but behind the scenes is one of the hardest workers on the team.
Huberdeau - Probably the best combination of grit, skill and character on the team. Gets too way too much flack.
Luongo - He will always be underrated until you remove him from the lineup for a whole year and see the result.

Just right:
Montoya
Kampfer
Mitchell
Jagr
Jokinen
Boyes
Mackenzie
Thornton
Bjugstad
Ekblad
Bolland

Last edited:

Android 16

Jun 23, 2011
Florida
Overrated are Guds, Kulikov and Trochek.

Underrated is Boyes. This guys gets so much flack for a 3rd line winger, 3rd line pay and does a damn good job.

Could be due to the fact he was used as a top-sixer for parts of the season. We didn't have Jagr yet and it was Boyes and Jokinen in that spot on occasion.

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
I'd add Jokinen on the underrated category. The main reason why he drove people nuts was his missed scoring chances, his shooting % was really bad this season and I don't expect it to be as bad next season. JJ brought some much needed secondary scoring and he's pretty good defensively / on the PK.

bolland way overated.
campbell underated.
How can Bolland be overrated when 75% of this board hates him. :laugh:

He's more underrated than overrated.

FlaPanthers11

Cats Are Coming?
Aug 30, 2013
I'd add Jokinen on the underrated category. The main reason why he drove people nuts was his missed scoring chances, his shooting % was really bad this season and I don't expect it to be as bad next season. JJ brought some much needed secondary scoring and he's pretty good defensively / on the PK.

Exactly.

ZamBroni

Dec 15, 2014
Ft. Lauderdale

I believe his impact is overstated by fans in order to justify his absurd contract.

FinlandPanther

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 16, 2009
Florida
Barkov in the overrated category :laugh: this board is quite hilarious at times. Didn't see Ekblad either. Wow.

Last edited:

Android 16

Jun 23, 2011
Florida
Pirri is far from overrated as well. Finally get some good young players and people can't see the talent.

If Pirri follows last year up with at least 25-25, I'll believe. Same thing with Barkov.

Other than that, it's just all a bunch of bogus talk and speculation. Both receive way too much of it on here. I'm guilty of it myself. I attribute that to me starving for some talented Florida Panthers.

Android 16

Jun 23, 2011
Florida

Bolland is overrated by the coaching staff, upper management and Dale Tallon. And I guess underrated or just right in the fans' perspective.

The OP stated Most overrated and underrated players on the Florida Panthers. He didn't specify whose perspective.

I changed my post so it reflects my perspective.

FinlandPanther

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 16, 2009
Florida
If Pirri follows last year up with at least 25-25, I'll believe. Same thing with Barkov.

Other than that, it's just all a bunch of bogus talk and speculation. Both receive way too much of it on here. I'm guilty of it myself. I attribute that to me starving for some talented Florida Panthers.

Barkov has shown flashes of brilliance that no one on our team has. I believe Pirri will even out somewhere with more than his 2 assists. He was told to shoot it everytime and I sure as hell couldn't care if he had 0 assists if he keeps putting the nasty shot in the back of the net. Barkov has both the seeing eye test of skill and things that don't show up on the score sheet unless you watch him closely. He will EASILY become a top 5 defensive center. I believe he will be putting up 70+ points as well when he breaks that shell of his.

harv33173

Oct 5, 2003

i was responding to the post before mine!!

Gentle Man

09/12
Nov 15, 2011
Ontario, CA
Overrated- trocheck, Luongo (yea I said it, he looked very leaky at times, and those times were terrible.

underrated - soup and Petro, Boyes too

CanadianPantherFan

Cats are Here!
Jun 6, 2004
Calgary
Overrated - Juice Jokinen. His points seem to be "empty" style points. You look at the end of the year and think to yourself "how the hell he get all those points?" Not in a good way either.

Campbell a candidate too from his last two seasons. I don't like his body language with this young group. He only seemed to be enjoying himself and jumping up into the rush and getting back hard on pinches post Jagr, not pre Jagr.

Underrated - Barkov. Outside of 8-12 games this year this guy was a stud. The work ethic is there 90-95% of the time , points are starting to follow. I tell all my friends you need to watch this guy on tv/in person ... The scoresheet does not do him justice.

Last edited:

gudzilla

Aug 9, 2012
ekblads season is not overrated, but the step people believe he'll take next season is overrated

trocheck/pirri/hayes/petrovic/kampfer/etc are overrated, we decide to see their potential justifying their mistakes

i just hope we see the huberdeau/barkov we saw late in the season

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad