Most overrated and underrated players on the Florida Panthers

Mogo

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 26, 2002
Over-rated:
BOLLAND, Kulikov

Bolland I think all know my opinion here :laugh:
Kulikov will have a stretch when you feel like he's finally got it to only get injured or have a kulifart moment and make you wonder why haven't we already traded him

Under-rated:
Mitchell, Luongo, MacKenzie
Mitchell team falls apart without him in the lineup
Luongo does not get enough praise for bailing us out
MacK Best center at faceoffs, plays solid PK and never takes a shift off

batting1k

Mar 3, 2013
Overrated - Juice Jokinen. His points seem to be "empty" style points. You look at the end of the year and think to yourself "how the hell he get all those points?" Not in a good way either.

Was 2nd on the team in primary assists with 18 and 2nd in secondary assists

FlaPnthrsPunk

Apr 17, 2006
Coral Springs, FL
Overrated:

As much as I like his leadership as a likely future captain of this team, I'm going to go with Gudbranson. Although, he did show us more promise in his game this past season. Fans have high expectations from him since he was a 3rd overall pick, but it does take 4-5 years to get into the game that we might see for years to come.

Campbell I think is overrated too over the last two seasons. I thought he was incredibly valuable in the past on the blue line. Now, his head just doesn't seem to be in the play most of the time, which leads to mistakes to help the opposition. I wouldn't be surprised at all if he wanted to be traded, but knows his contract won't let that happen.

Underrated:

I'll go with Pirri. If he can stay healthy, I think he's definitely considered part of our core. However, most don't include him yet within Huberdeau, Barkov, and Bjugstad as far as forwards.

Barkov too. I think he's likely going to be a real beast down the middle when he develops further. What he's brought to the Panthers over the last few years at such a young age and coming into the NHL knowing no English has been pretty amazing.

Jan 19, 2006
I'm assuming that we are referring to this board when we talk about overrating and underrating.

Underrrated:

1. Campbell - a minute chewing solid PMD that Ekblad has praised as being key to his development and many are ready to trade for a bag of pucks

2. Mitchell - was it a coincidence that the team took a nosedive when he was out of the lineup?

Overrated:

1. Drew Shore - a minor league center who could not crack the NHL roster, but whose trade led to a great deal of wailing and gnashing of teeth

2. Everyone* - because this is a Panthers forum : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Endowment_effect

* Except Bolland because he makes so much money he uses stacks of Benjamins instead of Charmin... so he sucks :sarcasm:

Last edited:

vendetta

#CatsAreComing
Mar 22, 2011
Edmonton
Underrated is campbell... gets basically no appreciation for the little unnoticed things he does on the ice that allows his partners and most everyone else on the Ice to succeed and drive the puck forward...

Overrated trocheck. As of now he's very mediocre and Inconsistent quite bad defensively and away from the puck... coukd be a gem if he can successfully find a way to transfer to wing and make a impact which he has the tools and skill set to do

spacemanatee

May 18, 2014
overrated: many but especially bolland & kulikov.
underrated: -, no one, this is the panthers board.

CanadianPantherFan

Cats are Here!
Jun 6, 2004
Calgary
Was 2nd on the team in primary assists with 18 and 2nd in secondary assists

I had a feeling the primary were high but how many of those were PP? I remember guys in high slot ripping those open space passes on a tee, teams would give him that space. I get if people disagree with me here, but I feel there were a lot on the anti Jokinen boat during the year. His 5 on 5 play was very uninspiring to me on a top end 5 on 5 style of team.

Laus723

Paradise hockey
Sponsor
Jan 27, 2006
Wellington, FL
It's like you guys forgot how the team was when Guds was drafted. You've all forgotten his injuries, oh and his defense partners. He gets knocked enough, dunno how anyone can say he's overrated.

Ekblad overrated? Are you joking?? Other teams would kill to have this kid and you're saying he's overrated?
Then again, so many of you knock Soupy I really shouldn't be surprised.
Luongo is on some people's lists? I was his biggest critic in his original stint with the team, but he looked good most of the year. Oh, later on, after his injury? Yeah he faded...but he was injured. Tough for a goalie.
Barkov did great with Jagr, it's like you guys forgot he didn't have an elite guy with him.

Board is turning into garbage. It's like you don't watch games, or pick apart every second a guy is on the ice and just target the negative.

Every player has flaws and areas they need to work on. I've even back off of my criticism of Kuli, cause he's earned my doing so.

Ekblad on people's lists?? Really???

Last edited by a moderator:

gudzilla

Aug 9, 2012
It's like you guys forgot how the team was when Guds was drafted. You've all forgotten his injuries, oh and his defense partners. He gets knocked enough, dunno how anyone can say he's overrated.

Ekblad overrated? Are you joking?? Other teams would kill to have this kid and you're saying he's overrated?
Luongo is on some people's lists? I was his biggest critic in his original stint with the team, but he looked good most of the year. Oh, later on, after his injury? Yeah he faded...but he was injured. Tough for a goalie.
Barkov did great with Jagr, it's like you guys forgot he didn't have an elite guy with him.

Board is turning into garbage. It's like you don't watch games, or pick apart every second a guy is on the ice and just target the negative.

Every player has flaws and areas they need to work on. I've even back off of my criticism of Kuli, cause he's earned my doing so.

i dont think people overrate his season this year, but the success he's pegged in to have next season - being a top 5-10 d-man in the league and a norris winner before 21.

Catsfan7

Jun 6, 2011
Coral Springs, FL
Overrated on our team
Pirri, Hayes, Tro.
I love Pirri but that pace is likely unsustainable for next year, but if he stays healthy and performs at around 75% of that pace he's a 30 goal scorer which would still be awesome.

I'm one of the biggest Trocheck fanboys around but let's be real, his overall game needs some work, keeping guys like him and grimaldi, et. all in the AHL and using the Detroit method to let youngsters grow is the best thing to do.

Hayes is number one here. He is Holmstrom-esque in front of the net but 5 on 5 it shows how many deficiencies are truly in his game. He was getting bundles of top-six time with Bjugstad and he brought the line down, he doesn't use his size well enough, but there's still hope for him.

Underrated:
Bolland, Petro/Kampfer
Our #6 d-man spot was fantastic down the stretch, both of them exceeded expectations by far and made Tallon look like a genius for demoting Olsen.

We can argue about Bolland until his contract is up but he's here like him or not. His contract is absolute garbage but he is a good hockey player, just ridiculously overpaid. We all saw down the stretch as the games get bigger he makes more of an impact. If he can cut down on the stupid penalties and we can just stop using money we didn't spend to evaluate a player, we'll see how he can help the team.

RatKingBolland*

I would like to think Bolland as underated but it's hard to see past that contract of is.

WilliamNicol9

Jun 18, 2015
Hollywood, FL
Overrated:

Obviously Bolland..... Sadly, up to this point in his career, being the 3rd overall pick and still being a bottom 6 defender, Gudbranson. I like the guy, but he leaves much desired of him

Underrated:

BRAD BOYES.... If you watch this guy closely off the puck, hes a fantastic hockey player that doesnt get enough credit for the little things. He has a great mind set in regards of play progression. Im happy with this guy rotating between the 2nd and 3rd lines on the wing. Solid guy night in night out.

Tranq

Dec 13, 2008
I'd like to pose a question. In Florida Panthers history who were better defensemen than Brian Campbell? Svehla, Bouwmeester, Ozolinsh?

CHGoalie27

Don't blame the goalie!
Oct 5, 2009
SoFLA

Thank you.

And me too about Kulikov.

16Skippy

Sep 12, 2009
Overrated:
Bolland, Bjugs

People are going to kill me for saying Bjugstad but man I wish he had more consistency. Don't get me wrong I am a fan of his, I just don't think he's as good as some people think he is. Yet.

Underrated:
Bolland, Jokinen

People complain about Jussi's invisible assists and his contract but he is a decent complimentary piece and better defensively than I expected.

spacemanatee

May 18, 2014
Overrated - Rocco Grimaldi!

we'll see. he wasn't overrated last season imo. most of us knew he needed more time in the ahl. seems like he's dominating the camp so, as i said, we'll see if he'll be overrated this upcoming season.
he wasn't last season tho.

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver
we'll see. he wasn't overrated last season imo. most of us knew he needed more time in the ahl. seems like he's dominating the camp so, as i said, we'll see if he'll be overrated this upcoming season.
he wasn't last season tho.

Yeah he was. He scored one goal in seven games, and people were acting like he's the second coming!

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver
haha no. everyone here knew he wasn't ready.
call up? - yes.
full time duty with the big boys last season? - hell no

There were people here were freaking out. One of them is a big Henrik fan. Can't remember his username though.

Another poster today, is already laughing that it would be ridiculous of him to get less than 14 goals next season.

Anyways, I think he is overrated.

spacemanatee

May 18, 2014
There were people here were freaking out. One of them is a big Henrik fan. Can't remember his username though.

Another poster today, is already laughing that it would be ridiculous of him to get less than 14 goals next season.

Anyways, I think he is overrated.

haha yeah that sound a little over the top tbh.
however, i don't think he's the/one of the most overrated players on our team. but hey, mabye he'll be

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad