Most overhyped prospects in recent memory?

cheechoo

˗ˋˏ ♡ ˎˊ˗ Tomas Hertl #48 ˗ˋˏ ♡ ˎˊ˗
Dec 13, 2018
suspended in gaffa
Rundblad, Dal Colle, Gormley, Filatov, Burmistrov

Is this just a list of prospects that didn't pan out, or did they not pan out because they were overhyped? How can we seperate the two.

Gormley (and Fowler) ended up falling hard that year, but he was always viewed as a safe bet to end up top four D.

Rundblad is a decent shout.

Burmistrov is the classic case of a young player being rushed. He wasn't exceptionally dominant in his DY and the Thrashers had that habit. They did the same thing with Kane the year prior, but Kane was a much better prospect and was also much more physically developed that he ended up solidifying himself regardless.

Last edited:

Sweetpotato

Jan 10, 2014
Edmonton
Good call on Soderblom.

I'll say Patrik Laine was quite overhyped and was claimed to be the heir apparent to Ovechkin. They play nothing alike and for some reason Laine has peaked at age 19. I hope he gets back on track when he returns to the NHL.
Had Laines head been on straight from the get go and he went to a team that had a playmaker at the level of Backstrom, Marner, McDavid, Draisaitl, etc I think he'd be at minimum the 2nd best goal scorer in the league right now. Unfortunately I think there was a lot of self sabotage and coaches trying to make him something he's not.

GreatSaveEssensa

The Dark Side Of The Goon
Feb 16, 2016
Manitoba
Casey Mittelstadt was at one point considered the best drafted prospect outside of the NHL. Both Button and the Athletic writers (Pronman) had him ranked number 1 on lists. I wrote an article in 2016/2017 comparing him and Ryan Poehling (born 40 days apart) about how they were closer in projection than most people realized and to expect middle six production from Mittelstadt not top 6... I got over 200 comments on it and nearly everyone disagreed with me because Mittelstadt was going to be so good.
And look at him now. Some kids just take longer to develop. I really don't think Mittelstadt fits what the OP is asking at all.

GreatSaveEssensa

The Dark Side Of The Goon
Feb 16, 2016
Manitoba
Had Laines head been on straight from the get go and he went to a team that had a playmaker at the level of Backstrom, Marner, McDavid, Draisaitl, etc I think he'd be at minimum the 2nd best goal scorer in the league right now. Unfortunately I think there was a lot of self sabotage and coaches trying to make him something he's not.
Laine scored 36 at 18 and 44 at 19. He played on the Jets who at the time were stacked, and had great players feeding him the puck. The get go was when he was at his best, so I’m kind of confused at your points.

EXTRAS

Jul 31, 2012
Lafreniere was hyped and rightly so. He dominated the world juniors the year before being drafted. He could still get there as he's looked good lately, but he obviously wasn't the straight to top line player many expected.

Reactions: pi314 and Bubbles

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018

Mostly self sabotage by Laine, in my opinion. The reason in Columbus why he can't be put with great playmakers like KJ or Gaudreau is because Laine thinks he should be the one with the puck on his stick all night.

The person most resistant to just putting Laine in position to score goals is none other than Patrik Laine himself. He loves to carry the puck and will often lose it rather than letting teammates set him up.

Coaches did force him to become a better two way player but he did become that, he's a great backchecker and none of that takes away from his scoring ability. It's the overhandling the puck that costs his team possession and costs Laine scoring opportunities.

Laine scored 36 at 18 and 44 at 19. He played on the Jets who at the time were stacked, and had great players feeding him the puck. The get go was when he was at his best, so I’m kind of confused at your points.

I'm kind of confused by Laine's inclusion in this thread. 80 goals as a teenager is not hype, that's reality.

He also played two of the best seasons of his career just prior to this one (some say the best). 108 pts in 111 games and great two way play driving.

Very injury riddled career and a player who can be absolute garbage when he isn't feeling it, but that's for a different thread not this one.

Judas Tavares

S2S (Sundin2Sandin)
Sponsor
Feb 9, 2007
Rundblad is a great one. The way he was being described, it's like people confused him with Karlsson at the time.

The hype for Granlund was off the charts. He turned out to be a great player, but the hype here was insane.

Stefan Elliott had a small but loud fan club.

Eric Tangradi and Daniel Sprong were going to be superstars on Crosby/Malkin's wing.

To add insult to injury to the Kessel trade, Jared Knight was going to be a 30-goal, 60-point 2nd line winger.

I've been on these boards for a long time. Will add more when I think of more.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Svechnikov had injury problems lately, and he's still almost PPG, while look at where Kakko is.
I'm not denying that Kakko has been a real flop but in his draft year he did look really really strong.

As for Svechnikov sure he is close a PPG player but I expected him to be a consistent 40ish goal guy and maybe flirt with 50 but his deployment on the canes team and injuries have altered that path.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
Travis Sanheim. He turned into a solid top 4 D for sure.

I watched the Hitmen with regularity. I remember the consensus was that he’d be better than Scott Niedermeyer. I remember getting absolutely lambasted on here for telling people to temper their expectations for him.

Reactions: Just Linda and ello

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
No clue why people are naming NHL’ers, including some good NHL’ers.

I guess the question is open to interpretation, but there are plenty of very hyped players who never played in the NHL or stuck in the NHL.

And I also think too many of the names I’m seeing weren’t overhyped, regardless of how good they ended up. Overhyped isn’t synonymous with eventual outcome.

Reactions: Mitch nylander

Wintersun

Jan 15, 2013
Montreal
Travis Sanheim. He turned into a solid top 4 D for sure.

I watched the Hitmen with regularity. I remember the consensus was that he’d be better than Scott Niedermeyer. I remember getting absolutely lambasted on here for telling people to temper their expectations for him.
I don't remember Sanheim being that hyped at all...

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Good call on Soderblom.

I'll say Patrik Laine was quite overhyped and was claimed to be the heir apparent to Ovechkin. They play nothing alike and for some reason Laine has peaked at age 19. I hope he gets back on track when he returns to the NHL.
Dunno, Laine's 18yo and 19yo seasons mostly lived up to the hype. Him peaking at 19 is pretty much impossible to predict. Also, I think Laine's rookie season concussion took a toll on him and permanently changed his play style more timid, making him more one-dimensional than he looked like as a prospect. The one I'm referring to:

Laine was a rather physical presence in u-20s and Liiga as a prospect but didn't really maintain that ever since that concussion.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I’d still trade for him. I think Buffalo botched his early development. There is still something there.

He's their leading scorer and leading 5-on-5 scorer so yeah, there is something there. They ironed out the early Botterill mistake of keeping him around and he's put in the work to get his strength and conditioning where it needs to be.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Laine and Mittelstadt don't belong here at all.

The hype around Cody Hodgson in Vancouver was insane for a guy with Daymond Langkow upside.

Lafreniere to me was a guy who would have been a #5 overall-ish pick most years and got hugely overhyped because of #1 overall.

Kravtsov.

Generally, it's guys who have a big WJC which doesn't represent their overall development.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad