Most Misspelled Name on HFBoards?

idiroft

Sep 21, 2012
Lisboa
The most mispelled name on HFBoards is by far Ribeiro. And it's not even close. I would say his name gets butchered more than 50% of the times.

Ribiero?
Riberio?
Riebero?
Rebiero?
Reibiero?
Ribero?

No! It's just *** RIBEIRO.

LiveeviL

No unique points
Jan 5, 2009
Sweden
And as you pointed out the "sson" names in Swedish are quite simple, Take the name Karlsson for ex. It means son of Karl = Karl's son, then just merge it. Or Ander's son etc, etc...

This is often a sources for misspelling on these boards. Native English speakers seems to know that there is some double letter in the name and make one up based on whim e.g. "Nillson". it is a bit strange that you get these kinds of misspelling as English in general (as in Swedish) have a genitive S but not in the -son names for some reason.

Perhaps English dropped the S in -son names as it has an apostrophe for genitive which Swedish do not use. Then it became more natural in English to drop the genitive S in -son names, even tough it would be quite natural to have double s in English -son names too.

So basically I find it strange that many English speakers have trouble with the Swedish genitive S in -son names.

Last edited:

Kojo

Nov 22, 2013
He's highly underrated on here but it took me awhile before I could spell Pacioretti.

Edit: Pacioretty

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
In the past it was "Federov" and "Broduer" :shakehead

These days it should be Byfuglien but surprisingly not, as many probably know they don't know it so google paste it or just say Buff.

Dr John Carlson

Dec 21, 2011
Nova Scotia
John Carlsen
John Karlson
John Carlsson
John Karlsson
John Karlsen
John Karlssen

John Carlson

Also, seeing "Federov" makes me a lot more annoyed than it should.

Apr 28, 2010
Patcioretti, Patcioretty when it's Pacioretty

Pleckanec, Plekanek when it's Plekanec

It annoys me when even some Habs fans can't even spell them right. Like cmon, you watch them on TV all the time and they are the players from your favorite team.

JS91

May 14, 2014
All Finnish names with ä or ö in them. I think that the Canadiens are the only team who use ä and ö in their jerseys for Finnish players, other teams just use a and o.

Remix

Oct 22, 2013
Has to be Määttä. Maatta is understandable but all the other versions are just :laugh:

uncleben

Global Moderator
Dec 4, 2008
Acton, Ontario
Most people misspell Carlo Colaiacovo
You'll often see Coliacovo, without the first 'a'

However, you don't often see his name written around these parts, and when he is referred to, its usually with some jest, like "Glass man" instead of his name.

Personally, I way too often forget the first 'h' in Ehrhoff's name. I always seem to write Erhoff for some reason...

Ralphy*

I personally have to second guess myself when typing these names:

Morgan Rielly
Ryan O'Reilly
Mike Ribeiro

Those IE combinations, man. I can't deal with it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad