Most mature, humanitarian, and leader like U-25 players? (Please read warning)

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
This is purely to discuss players who are extremely mature, humanitarian, leader like, that not only demonstrate leadership qualities on the ice and in the locker room, but also off the ice. Players who aren't into your typical mainstream stuff and prefer a peaceful and quiet life when not playing or practicing. Players that rarely to never go out to parties or do anything that gets them into even minor trouble (Like a player could simply get very drunk and say some dumb stuff but not actually hurt anyone and still make themselves look like a fool). All while being 25 or under, as stereotypically NHL players that fit my description tend to be the older veterans.

A warning, please only talk about the good in the players of the following topic, and don't make this thread into a "Who is the least mature", or using immature remarks to disagree with other people's opinions on the most mature U-25 players. Players that fit one of the mentioned criteria above is welcome to be discussed. Simply being a very friendly and kind person doesn't count.

One player that comes off the top of my head is Colton Parayko.

Hockeyisl1fe

Dec 8, 2016
I agree with Aho, but Laine not so much haha.
He actually fits OP's description somewhat. He is an absolutist what it comes to alcohol (has said that himself). After his team Tappara won the final series in the FEL, he went to home to watch Masterchef instead of partying with his team mates :laugh:. He was at a legal age to get wasted back then in Finland too.

NHL Dude 120

Jun 18, 2011
Ottawa
He actually fits OP's description somewhat. He is an absolutist what it comes to alcohol. After his team Tappara won the final series in the FEL, he went to home to watch Masterchef instead of partying with his team mates :laugh:.

wow, tbh when I think about Laine I think he's more the type of guy who goes out to the bars alot.

NHL Dude 120

Jun 18, 2011
Ottawa
Pierre Luc Dubois, from some blue jacket fans one of them said he'd rather spend the weekend watching Game of Thrones.

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006
He actually fits OP's description somewhat. He is an absolutist what it comes to alcohol (has said that himself). After his team Tappara won the final series in the FEL, he went to home to watch Masterchef instead of partying with his team mates :laugh:. He was at a legal age to get wasted back then in Finland too.

Worst part of NHL Combine for Patrik Laine: "Going outside and having to sign those autographs. That was not fun."

Yeah. He fits the non-partying aspect.

Leadership, maturity, and humanitarian not so much.

http://www.arcticicehockey.com/2016/6/6/11870910/patrik-laine-says-a-lot-of-things-winnipeg-jets-nhl-draft

Hockeyisl1fe

Dec 8, 2016
Worst part of NHL Combine for Patrik Laine: "Going outside and having to sign those autographs. That was not fun."

Yeah. He fits the non-partying aspect.

Leadership, maturity, and humanitarian not so much.

http://www.arcticicehockey.com/2016/6/6/11870910/patrik-laine-says-a-lot-of-things-winnipeg-jets-nhl-draft
I agree that he is not a leadership guy, but you say he isn't humane or mature based on that he didn't enjoy to sign autographs during the combine? Thorburn for example has said that he is one of the most mature 18-year-olds he has met and the guys in the locker room listens what he has to say.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
From the Flyers, I'd say Provorov. We have a lot of good young guys who seem mature past their age, but he stands out.

I don't know much about what he does off the ice, as far as charity goes, but every time I hear him talk or read an interview from him it stands out how mature he sounds and what a perfect attitude he has.

Even when dealing with the Philly media, who I believe is at least tied for worst in the world.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Oscar Klefbom to a T. Pretty assertive on ice, oozes confidence and leadership. Off ice hes no issue whatsoever

Carrys himself like a 10 year vet

Patrik Barkov

Jun 25, 2016
Oscar Klefbom to a T. Pretty assertive on ice, oozes confidence and leadership. Off ice hes no issue whatsoever

Carrys himself like a 10 year vet

Didn't he give an interview during the summer where he said it was nice seeing the team lose without him? Made him feel important or something? Also something about Hall not perfoming when it mattered.

MrClutch86

Aug 23, 2013
Tampa
ITT: People name the best U25 players on their favorite team

Lets be real, none of us really know the answer to this question

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
In the mold of Toews?

Someone like Matthews fits the bill, very stern and mature for his age.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
With examples: Dougie Hamilton

Now, I don't know how much leadership you can exude when you're on the ice all the time with Gio, so I'm thinking it's fair to say it's low if someone wants to argue it.

Examples:
1. Dougie bombs. The team gets a kick out of it and he seems well liked as a joker.
2. Often requests on his own to go visit sick kids at the hospital (I think I read an article where management said that). I believe he did so in Boston as well. He likes dressing up in costume when doing so.
3. I don't believe I have heard stories about him partying. Johnny/Mony sure, but rarely do I hear about Hamilton.
4. Won the Bobby Smith award for on ice and off ice excellence while playing for Niagara.
5. Gave credit to Gio for his season. Seems humble.

There's probably better then him, but I think there's enough external evidence to suggest D Hamilton is a top option per OP.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad