Most likely to least likely team to reach the finals in the Western Conference? Rank them

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Dallas
Edmonton
Colorado
Winnipeg
Vancouver
Vegas
Nashville
Los Angeles

I am putting Dallas as the favourite here, because I expect they will face LA, and I expect that will be the most lop-sided first round we see in the west this year. They'll have a larger challenge against the winner of Colorado and Winnipeg of course, but I still consider them the favourites, and I expect Col/Winnipeg will be a long and hard series, giving Dallas the edge in round 2.

Assuming we get Vancouver/LA and Edmonton-Vegas I expect Vancouver to go through, but LA will make them pay for it, and I expect Edmonton to outlast Vegas as well. I have Edmonton going over Vancouver because of playoff experience, although goaltending could be Edmonton's downfall in that series as well. I don't expect a lot from Nashville or LA in the playoffs this year, and while Vegas are the defending champions, their goaltending doesn't look good right now, so unless Hill remembers what he has to do to play like he did last spring, I don't like their chances this year, despite their depth.

Okay so Edmonton wins the xGF% season series 3-1.

Vancouver wins the win/loss season series 4-0.

Fair enough, but ultimately only one of these matter.
Ultimately, neither of them matter anymore. All that matters is the games in front of us.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
We outscored them 21-7. Good as McDavid is, he isn't making up that massive a difference. If we're going to cherry pick though. Drai and co. couldn't score on our backup Saturday night.
It's really only a one game sample size. Both teams were different at the start of the year. If you think the Oilers team heading into the post-season is the same as the directionless, clueless team struggling without their top defensive defenseman and the best player in the world, I think you're in for a surprise. I hope the Canucks players feel as confident as their fans do going into the playoffs though. They won't make it far if they underestimate the other teams like that.

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
It's really only a one game sample size. Both teams were different at the start of the year. If you think the Oilers team heading into the post-season is the same as the directionless, clueless team struggling without their top defensive defenseman and the best player in the world, I think you're in for a surprise. I hope the Canucks players feel as confident as their fans do going into the playoffs though. They won't make it far if they underestimate the other teams like that.

Oh, I don't. Edmonton is a completely different team and full marks to their huge resurgence. I was more responding to the notion y'all deserved to win those games. And that it was only McDavid playing through an injury that caused problems. They almost certainly wouldn't have been so comically lopsided but Edmonton didn't "deserve" to win anything back then.

Same logic to the Canucks when we got spanked around by LA or Minny. We can blame all bad calls or Demko being injured all we want. We didn't deserve anything and simply got outplayed.

I'm under no delusion if we do match up in the playoffs at some point, we're not coming anywhere close to our season success against you guys. :laugh:

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Oh, I don't. Edmonton is a completely different team and full marks to their huge resurgence. I was more responding to the notion y'all deserved to win those games. And that it was only McDavid playing through an injury that caused problems. They almost certainly wouldn't have been so comically lopsided but Edmonton didn't "deserve" to win anything back then.

Same logic to the Canucks when we got spanked around by LA or Minny. We can blame all bad calls or Demko being injured all we want. We didn't deserve anything and simply got outplayed.

I'm under no delusion if we do match up in the playoffs at some point, we're not coming anywhere close to our season success against you guys. :laugh:
It's a flawed notion, we didn't deserve to win anything the way we started the year. But none of those games matter come playoff time. :) Thanks for the chat!

Reactions: Bourne Endeavor

Cup or Bust

Oct 17, 2017
Dallas
Edmonton
Las Vegas
Winnipeg
Colorado
Vancouver
Los Angeles
Predators

You never know how different teams style of play will transition to playoff hockey sometimes. Vancouver I have a hard read on right now. I could just as easily see them have a strong playoff showing depending on how they play in a more physical and intense environment. How will Pettersson perform, Demko. Boeser as well. Winnipeg is another team. They always look like they have good depth, defense and goaltending and it hasn't seemed to translate to much playoff success but they are another team I would not be surprised if they had success. Honestly the margin in playoffs is slim, I could see a number of these teams have success and not be very surprised.

TheUnusedCrayon

Apr 12, 2018
Gonna go with...

1. Dallas
2. Vancouver
3. Jets
4. Oilers
5. Vegas
6. Colorado
7. Kings
8. Preds

I think Dallas is the best team in the West.
Vancouver if they get on a run will be very very very difficult to handle.
Jets the same as Vancouver.
Oilers have flaws but if their offense runs heavy, they will do this and do it easily. I just question their defense when it comes to playoff hockey still.
Vegas I don't think is the same team and don't have the same chemistry but obviously could find it.
Colorado I don't think has it this year.
Kings run a risky defensive game and depends entirely on matchups.
Preds have a chance but just lack scoring depth. Could very well surprise.

They all have a chance. The West has phenomenal parity this year and all of these teams are capable of winning the cup this year. Very very exciting playoff hockey to look forward to. Not one series looks like it's a runaway that I'd bet money on.

McSomnii

why u no change oil
Nov 3, 2012
Little Houston, AB
1) Vegas
2) Dallas
3) Colorado
4) Vancouver
5) Winnipeg
6) Edmonton
7) Nashville
8) LA

Vegas is the biggest question mark for me here, but I expect that the defending champ isn't going to go down easily no matter who they end up facing.

Part of me feels as though they'd prefer to get the Oilers in round 1, since they'll then get one of Nashville or Vancouver in round 2 and won't have to worry about running into Dallas or Colorado (or perhaps Winnipeg, certainly can't write them off) until the West finals.

Of course, the Canucks could end up being as as tough of an out as Dallas or Colorado, but I want to see how they handle playoff hockey first against the Preds before I fully get on board with them being one of the elites in the West.

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008
Bettman got his Wet Dream last year with his expansion baby winning the cup and the other baby pulling a major upset.

This year he gets his nightmare - Edmonton vs Winnipeg Conference Final.

Matty Sundin

Jul 18, 2006
I think the Canadian teams will have a lot of success this year in the west. I can totally see the west conference finals being Edmonton/Vancouver vs Winnipeg.

WPGDEVILS

Jan 3, 2018
Not that the regular season matters anymore but the jets went undefeated against the Avs and match up real well, betting against Mack and Makar is scary tho

Dallas
Edmonton
Winnipeg
Colorado
Vancouver
Vegas
Nashville
LA

Reactions: Pucklington

Coffey

☠️not a homer☠️
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
Phase 4 HMV
Everyone down on the Kings but would be hilarious if they went on one of those 2012 runs.
Impossible without Brown, Carter, Richards, Williams or Quick. That team had so much veteran defensive-forward talent.

And Quick going god mode.

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
Everyone down on the Kings but would be hilarious if they went on one of those 2012 runs.

It's more so the teams around them than anything else, the Kings having Kopitar and Doughty still being massive contributors could also be looked at as a slight considering they're 34+. Wonder how they measure up the youthful superstars they'd have to see on route to a Cup

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Now that the matchups are set.... There's absolutely no excuse for the Oilers this year if they dont make it out of the West.

The Central side of the West is an absolute gauntlet of arguably 4 of the best teams in the conference, and 3 of them will be eliminated in the first 2 rounds.

Oilers have an absurdly easy path tbh. As long as they dont choke, they're in great shape to make a run.

• Haha
Reactions: Paddys Pub

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
Everybody should be waiting until the end of game 1 in the Dallas/Vegas series to make their lists. Need to know how many Knights are about to rise from the dead before we can judge.

Turbonium

Aug 21, 2020
Spain
All depends on health and what matchups happen (any team in the West has a decent chance) with that said

1) Dallas - have depth scoring - good D - good Goalie - no real weaknesses
2) Edmonton - high scoring - good D - only suspect is goaltending but Skinner has been decent this year
3) Winnipeg - depth scoring - good D - Great Goaltending
4) Las Vegas - which team will show up - the Cup winning team or the regular season one
5) Colorado - scoring - decent D - ok Goalie - some inconsistences - no real weaknesses
6) Vancouver - surprising regular season - is Demko ready? ( if yes they would be higher)
7) Nashville - late season surge into the PO's shows how good they can be
8) Los Angeles - frustrating to play against - goalie is a concern
The Avs wish they had an ok Goalie.

Reactions: TatteredTornNFrayed

TatteredTornNFrayed

very angry indeed
Jan 15, 2008
I interpreted the question as likeliness to reach the WCF.

Haven't read the whole thread, but if the question was supposed to be likeliness to reach the SCF, then swap Dallas and Edmonton.

1. Edmonton
2. Dallas (I think Dallas has the best team, but also the tougher path through the brackets.)
3. Vancouver (Again, slightly because of being in the less deadly half of the Western bracket.)
4. Winnipeg
5. VGK (May be several slots higher, depending on how the "injured" come back.)
6. Colorado (Goaltending is not playoff caliber.)
7. Nashville
8. LA

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad