Most likely to least likely team to reach the finals in the Western Conference? Rank them

Three On Zero

Deranged Oreo Dolphin Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
Dallas
Winnipeg
Vegas
Colorado
Edmonton
Vancouver
Nashville
Los Angeles

Canucks played 0 games against the Oilers that featured a remotely healthy McDavid and still probably only deserved to win 1 of them. Not to say that Demko still couldn't end up stealing a series anyways.
Vancouver pretty easily deserved to win all 4, it really wasn’t close.

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
Canucks played 0 games against the Oilers that featured a remotely healthy McDavid and still probably only deserved to win 1 of them. Not to say that Demko still couldn't end up stealing a series anyways.

We outscored them 21-7. Good as McDavid is, he isn't making up that massive a difference. If we're going to cherry pick though. Drai and co. couldn't score on our backup Saturday night.

Reactions: eviohh26

Keystone

Apr 30, 2011
Manitoba
The only teams I don’t think could win it are Kings who I think lose in first round, and Nashville who have played great, but I don’t think have enough to run the gauntlet out of the west.

hangman005

Mark Stones Spleen
Apr 19, 2015
Cloud 9
I think it's pretty funny how last year people commonly ranked Vegas around 4-6 while I felt that was their year. While this year I feel like they're going to bomb and there's a lot of people that have them top 3. Not to say I think I'm right (and some genius) and they're wrong necessarily. Just amusing to see the shift.
Yeah I find it funny as well, I think everyone is rating Vegas higher than we are, and lets face it they'd be right if we played that way, and hopefully we do, but yeah last year I thought we were higher than we are ranked and this year like you lower. :laugh:

olafsson

Jun 18, 2017
You haven’t watched an Oilers game in a long time, have you?
I watch them every now and then. Nurse/Ceci will get torched just like last year, Bouchard makes way too many bonehead plays in his own end, and Skinner is a good 1B, but most of the time falls apart after this many games played

Reactions: Three On Zero

theMajor

Feb 9, 2012
Socal
Everyone down on the Kings but would be hilarious if they went on one of those 2012 runs.
this team is too bipolar to do anything substantial. the 2012 kings went on a heater in march all the way up to the playoffs. this team can dummy a playoff team one night and get shutout by a bottomfeeder the next...theres no continuity

IMO, one of dallas/edmonton/winnipeg will make it through to the finals

Reactions: JKG33

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
With all 8 teams set in the west for playoff participation, who do you think is the most likely to reach the finals? How about the least likely?

Rank them in order of most to least likely.

Here's my crack at it:

1. Edmonton. I feel as though this is their year. McDavid missing a few games late in the year can be a blessing in disguise, with him being 100% in shape and rested come playoffs.

2. Colorado. I could see them winning again, after an off-year last playoffs. Fantastic core. I know goaltending is a bit worrisome, but it's not like they had a top goalie 2 years ago either

3. Vancouver. I thought their team/core did really good in the covid playoffs, as underdogs. Very curious to see the likes of EP, Hughes and co get another stab at playoffs - I think entering as a top team they could do quite well. Demko is having a great year too

4. Vegas. This isn't about them being #8, nor about injuries (we all knew they'd be health come playoffs) - I just don't think they will go back to back. They'll likely do damage but be out by round 2 or 3, maybe even round 1 depending on matchups. It's possible they win again, but I don't think they will.

5. Dallas. A lot of people are very high on them, but for some reason I'm just not as sold.

6. Nashville - I think Nashville is dangerous, and so is Saros. They had a slow start but have been among absolute top teams for a while

7. Winnipg Jets. I have no faith in this core. Helle is pretty good, but doesn't matter. I expect they lose to Colorado in round 1

8. Los Angeles. They will also lose in round 1.

How about you? How do you rank them, most to least likely to reach the finals this year?
I love that it is probably going to be Vegas vs Edmonton in round 1.

Nice job last night Wild. Well done.

insomniaddict

Jan 9, 2020
Finland
Y'all who are ranking Colorado high must not realize they've been having massive goaltending issues and are up against Vezina caliber Hellebyuck and a team that's allowed least goals in the entire league. I'd be shocked if the Avs make it past 1st round.

Lacaar

Jan 25, 2012
Edmonton
Hell if I know. I do think it's kind of a 6 horse race with L.A and Nashville being outside shots.

1. Dallas - They won first place. Seem to be strong in pretty much every area.

2. Edmonton - I think the best team in the NHL when they're on. Duh I'm an Oiler fan. But they seem to be a team destined to find a way to lose. Whether it's pressure getting to them etc. Some team will goalie them. The Oilers playoff slogan is "First games free!". Can't win 4 series in a row like that.

3. Winnipeg - A much more skilled Montreal Canadians type team of 2021?. Defensive hockey that usually results in coin flip hockey. Are they a good team or did they navigate the regular season with a lot of teams sleeping on them are my questions. I don't want to find out with my team playing them.

4. Colorado - The hunger is back no doubt. It's just a matter of their defense being able to insulate their goaltending. Their goaltending will require insulation imo. And sometimes I think their forwards have to insulate their defense. Probably the team who's forwards and defense in symbiosis matters most.

5. Vancouver - This team wasn't good last year. I'm a bit suspicious of teams that make a meteoric rise after multiple seasons out of the playoffs.

6. Vegas - Who knows how healthy they are. Last year the stars aligned for them health wise.

7. Nashville - Not sure they really have much of a shot. But I also haven't seen them play lately.

8. L.A - If I thought Winnipeg played coin flip hockey. They can upset a team or two if things go right
for them. I hope Edmonton doesn't play them just so I can see how they do against another team.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
Dallas
Edmonton
Winnipeg
Vancouver
Colorado
Vegas
Nashville
Los Angeles

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
We outscored them 21-7. Good as McDavid is, he isn't making up that massive a difference. If we're going to cherry pick though. Drai and co. couldn't score on our backup Saturday night.
A healthy McDavid and Ekholm absolutely make up that difference. Might want to check the Oilers' record and goal differential since those guys obtained 2 working legs vs. when they could barely skate to start the year.

It's actually really funny how Canucks fans sound exactly like Flames fans did in 2022. Some games in October don't mean anything anymore.

• Haha
Reactions: Regal

avsfan9

Jul 28, 2011
Y'all who are ranking Colorado high must not realize they've been having massive goaltending issues and are up against Vezina caliber Hellebyuck and a team that's allowed least goals in the entire league. I'd be shocked if the Avs make it past 1st round.
Georgiev might not be the greatest but he has more wins than any other goalie the last two seasons. He can be good enough to get the job done. Helle has not been a world beater in the playoffs himself. They will have a tough test but there is a reason the Avs are favourites to win the series. They may lose in 4 or 5 but I have faith in them.

miscs75

Jul 2, 2014
1-7: US teams (in no particular order)
8: Canadian teams (no particular order)

Canadas cup drought will live on and the conspiracy theorists will be out in full force again.

BWJM

Sponsor
Mar 16, 2011
Canucks need to play like how they started the season.

1. Dallas
2. Literally any other team besides... (see below)
3. LA

eviohh26

Dec 19, 2017
Victoria BC Canada
A healthy McDavid and Ekholm absolutely make up that difference. Might want to check the Oilers' record and goal differential since those guys obtained 2 working legs vs. when they could barely skate to start the year.

It's actually really funny how Canucks fans sound exactly like Flames fans did in 2022. Some games in October don't mean anything anymore.
You guys got smoked this year. Go sit in a corner and be quiet.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
Not sure that I would count the Canucks out so easily, since they have in Demko a solid goalie and they are masters at crowding the front of the net for those close-in goals that make the difference in playoffs. I don't think the Preds will match up well to the Canucks at all, and if McDavid truly isn't 100% then I could see the Canucks getting past the Oilers as well. The fly in that ointment would be if the Canucks had to play the Kings, since the King's system seems built to keep the Canucks from scoring, but I'm skeptical that the Kings will make it past the Oilers.

Yea, it’s funny how sometimes these things come down to matchups. LA is a bad matchup for Van but Edmonton seems to have their number. Vegas also seems to give Van fits. Playing Nashville then potentially Edmonton (who I think they play well) would be their best case scenario imo. Though obviously every team would be a tough out.

As for me, I think the Stars, Avs, Knights and Oil all have the best shot at going far. I think it’s hard to pick a favourite.

Then probably Winnipeg and Van, then LA, then Nashville.

Reactions: VivaLasVegas

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad