Most likely to have a comeback '15-'16

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
Begrudgingly voted Lovejoy, because of the place he'll hopefully be playing (bottom pairing).

Scuderi is a beer league player. Kunitz is only going to get worse than the garbage we've seen, and while he ideally won't be allowed to leech in the top six and bring his line down, I don't think he'll do a damn thing without Sid or Geno centering him.

However, the correct, off the board pick is Perron.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
I would worry about Maatta and Lovejoy to some extent, but if you're going to do that, then you've got Dumo or Pouliot on your top pairing with Letang. So then it would shake out:

Dumo Letang
Maatta Lovejoy
Pouliot Cole

Because you're effectively locked in with Letang, Cole and Lovejoy as your RD's. I'd much prefer Cole playing bigger minutes than Lovejoy though. Keep in mind, he was saddled with Scuds a lot of the time last year, and still managed to play well in a middle pairing role.

From my understanding, Cole can play both sides, which opens things up a bit. Pouliot played a fair bit on the right side in his last run up to the Mem Cup IIRC, so he may work there on the bottom pairing.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
It all depends on how they're used (between Lovejoy and Kunitz, Scuderi has no business being in this poll). If Lovejoy is used as a bottom pair guy with spot duties as a #4, I think he'll do fine. If Kunitz is used as a 3rd liner with spot duties in the top-6, I think he'll also do fine. I just don't think either of those are going to happen, Lovejoy will end up being a lock on the 2nd pair and Kunitz will be glued to Crosby and Kessel.

Harvey Birdman

…Need some law books, with pictures this time…
Oct 21, 2008
Penguins Legal Office
Lovejoy played too many minutes, but he played as a top 4 in '13-'14, and was told he'd play here in a top 4 role by JR, so it's not like he only played above the bottom pairing due to injury. The org expected him to come in and be a middle-pairing defenseman.

Yes... But he wasn't playing as a middle pairing defenseman when the wheels really fell off. He was playing as a top pairing defenseman.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
It's easily Kunitz because if he gets put with Crosby and Kessel then even he should have trouble screwing that up.

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
Only one of these players, when he's playing his best, has the capability to make regular contributions to the team's success. The other two, when they're playing their best, you don't notice them. Their best is avoiding mistakes / not being a liability.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
Lovejoy, but if Perron was an option, I'd have voted for him. Him and Lovejoy were brutal for roughly the same amount of time.

Asuna

Lvl 94 Sub-Leader
Apr 27, 2014
Pittsburgh
Only one of these players, when he's playing his best, has the capability to make regular contributions to the team's success. The other two, when they're playing their best, you don't notice them. Their best is avoiding mistakes / not being a liability.

Yes, I agree. Scuderi is a big part of the Penguins success.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Yes... But he wasn't playing as a middle pairing defenseman when the wheels really fell off. He was playing as a top pairing defenseman.

Yep, I got that. What I took issue with was when you said:

He is a 5/6 Dman or a #4 in a pinch due to injuries.

He wasn't considered a #5/6, or a #4 "in a pinch". His expected role was as a middle pairing guy when we were healthy, not bottom pairing.

turd

Feb 1, 2013
most likely to have a comeback: beau bennett

A comeback from injury, you mean?

I voted Kunitz. He's in the best position to have success than the other two. Playing with Sid and Kessel should be a boost for him. With Lovejoy and Scuderi, they probably end up either playing with each other or Dumo, which could be a nightmare. I'm a little nervous about the D corps this year.

steveg

Jul 8, 2012
Norman, OK
I would worry about Maatta and Lovejoy to some extent, but if you're going to do that, then you've got Dumo or Pouliot on your top pairing with Letang. So then it would shake out:

Dumo Letang
Maatta Lovejoy
Pouliot Cole

Because you're effectively locked in with Letang, Cole and Lovejoy as your RD's. I'd much prefer Cole playing bigger minutes than Lovejoy though. Keep in mind, he was saddled with Scuds a lot of the time last year, and still managed to play well in a middle pairing role.

You know I'm looking at your D, there, and then thinking about what you are saying about maybe preferring Cole playing bigger minutes that Lovejoy, which I think I agree with, at least before seeing them in action early this coming season. While I do think it's possible that Maatta could be Lovejoy's Fowler, that would remain to be seen. So, going with Lovejoy on the bottom pairing...

Dumo-Letang
Maatta-Cole
Pouliot-Lovejoy

As I think about that lineup, and how my mind expects them to perform this year both individually, as well as within those particular pairings, I think this might be the D lineup I'd like best -- at least to start the year with (barring no surprises in camp). Even zooming in from the overall picture, and thinking about the possibilities of each of those specific pairings individually, and the minutes they'd receive, this seems like our best bet, to me...

Sorry, I'm derailing the thread. I'll vote Lovejoy, as most likely to have a "comeback;" same reasoning as Ogre.

Last edited:

Harvey Birdman

…Need some law books, with pictures this time…
Oct 21, 2008
Penguins Legal Office
Yep, I got that. What I took issue with was when you said:

He wasn't considered a #5/6, or a #4 "in a pinch". His expected role was as a middle pairing guy when we were healthy, not bottom pairing.

What Lovejoy is, and what he gets used for are two different things. And I get you are saying what has been put out in pressers. This was a predictory thread... If this organization truly views Ben Lovejoy as a #4 and were not just doing a partly line wash down then we as fans and a teams are quite ****ed on the back end.

Where the guy "rebounds" is a 5 through 7 slotting in a roster. And raises for breath above that only when there is not one else to fight for air.

Klifton

May 30, 2014
Wahoo, Nebraska
Of those 3, I think it is Kunitz. If you add Perron to this, I think it's still Kunitz. He is going to have the biggest bounce back if for no other reason than he will be given the best opportunity to do so. Given the talk about balanced top to bottom scoring, and the hint that we could see Perron on the 3rd line RW. I think there is a better chance than most that Kunitz will end up with Sid's line. Also, judging from the way he has been skating, it seems clear that his foot is a lot better. Remember, he was a damn near point per game player before he got hurt last year. And NO ONE takes advantage of playing with Sid the way that he does. His return to health, coupled with the major improvement on the other wing will combine to make this an excellent comeback year for Kunitz.

As far as Lovejoy, I think he will have a decent year playing as a number 4/5. I think he will start the year off playing on Cole's right side on the second pair. Though I do kind of like the idea of Cole - Letang and Maatta - Lovejoy. The thing is, I could see Rev loosing his spot to Pouliot at some point in the season. And it could be Pouliot's step forward that damages Lovejoy's bounce back more than Lovejoy's actual play.

Scuderi would shock me if he bounced back AT ALL. It's hard to imagine a stone that dense bouncing even a little bit.

MetalheadPenguinsFan

Sep 17, 2009
Canada
The Koon.

Why would we want Scuds or Lovejoy to make a comeback?? They can (and need to) stay far far away. Can we strand them on an island somewhere. :sarcasm:

Just let those two Bozos continue to suck and trade em' when ya can JR!!! ;)

Greeneye

May 17, 2006
Golden, CO
I reluctantly chose Lovejoy...if the Pens can play him as the 5th or 6th D I think he can be ok. If he plays a higher role he will look bad, just like last season. He's not as bad as he is made out to be. I have zero faith in Scuderi, to me he looks like the worst defenceman in the nhl.

I also have little faith in Kunitz. I suppose if MJ sticks him on the third line it would minimize his negative impact.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
For all of our *****ing about Kunitz's decline he had the same number of goals and points as Perron in fewer games, more points than Neal and a number of others, and all of that in a down year. His 17 goals puts him 118th in the NHL, which considering that there are 30 teams and 180 top six players on those teams (I realize doing it that way is sketchy at best, but still) then the desire to jettison him baffles me.

Is he the same player that he was a couple of years ago? No. Is he likely to return to being that player? No. But even as is he is a hell of a lot better than most reasonably obtainable alternatives.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Problem is, he has no place on our PP, and his production last year at ES was a joke. Most of it was on the PP in the first couple months.

That money can be better spent this season and longterm.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Problem is, he has no place on our PP, and his production last year at ES was a joke. Most of it was on the PP in the first couple months.

That money can be better spent this season and longterm.

Granted to a degree, but we are not signing him to this deal merely keeping him. With the Pens injury history he will be playing a much more significant role that you imply I would think. And he could play on the second PP, no reason to think he will get zero PP time. Finally he was injured for the time after that fast start and should be healthy now.

My 'defense' is luke warm, and for good reason. I merely think that people have gone off the deep end the other way is all.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Granted to a degree, but we are not signing him to this deal merely keeping him. With the Pens injury history he will be playing a much more significant role that you imply I would think. And he could play on the second PP, no reason to think he will get zero PP time. Finally he was injured for the time after that fast start and should be healthy now.

My 'defense' is luke warm, and for good reason. I merely think that people have gone off the deep end the other way is all.

Id rather a player with a future get his spot. Bennett, Perron, Sundqvist, Plotnikov.

Use him as insurance for now. Hope he has a good start and then move him for value or to fill a hole.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad