Dec 20, 2013
Saskatchewan
Lovejoy is a bottom pairing defender getting paid 1.1

Scuderi is just overpaid #6

Kunitz most likely to come back with a limited role

plaidchuck

Feb 26, 2013
Pittsburgh
There's nothing to come back from with lovejoy, he played as he was paid last year.

Also where's perron in the list?

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
There's nothing to come back from with lovejoy, he played as he was paid last year.

He had a noticeable drop in play. I'm not talking about these guys living up to their pay scale, I'm talking about them getting back to their previous standard.

There's no Perron because he's much younger than the other candidates and would make for an obvious choice.

Penguinator

Kesselator
Sep 17, 2014
Space
Scuds' a dud, The Reverend won't come back, he was just misused with the injuries, will do ok again on a 3rd pairing.

Who's left? :D

plaidchuck

Feb 26, 2013
Pittsburgh
His "standard" was inflated from playing with Fowler. What you saw is what you got from that guy when he doesn't play with a top pair dman.

Mike Lange Version 2

Jun 8, 2015
Houston, TX
Lovejoy was playing as a #2 D-man last year, where he is obviously overmatched. As a #5 he will be fine. I voted for Kunitz though, if the foot injury ordeal is true, then he should bounce back.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
As much as I hate Kunitz and his contract and his rapid decline I think there's a chance (like 20%) that he sorts things out, re-simplifies his game and has a strong season back in the top 6 as the supporting winger he used to be.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
As much as I hate Kunitz and his contract and his rapid decline I think there's a chance (like 20%) that he sorts things out, re-simplifies his game and has a strong season back in the top 6 as the supporting winger he used to be.

For real.

Though I feel it's better than 20% for Kunitz to have a better year this year from last if the team is relatively healthier. Including himself.

I'd say it is 50/50 with a plus to the rebound side. If anything, his stats should climb, and being the true 3rd wheel how can anyone ask for more then production.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
His "standard" was inflated from playing with Fowler. What you saw is what you got from that guy when he doesn't play with a top pair dman.

Lovejoy's 2nd most common partner on the Pens last year was top pairing defenseman Paul Martin. He still looked like crap.

I think he can get back to being a serviceable #4 defenseman.

AjaxTelamon

Jul 8, 2011
Lovejoy's 2nd most common partner on the Pens last year was top pairing defenseman Paul Martin. He still looked like crap.

I think he can get back to being a serviceable #4 defenseman.

If Lovejoy can do that I'd be thrilled. Though I do think he's capable of it. What I think is realistic is hoping he can be the defensive conscience of a third pairing with Pouliot.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
If Lovejoy can do that I'd be thrilled. Though I do think he's capable of it. What I think is realistic is hoping he can be the defensive conscience of a third pairing with Pouliot.

Going with that conscience, who is on the 2nd pair with Cole?

That's putting things in a tricky situation. I'd much rather let Pouliot learn as he goes from the 2nd pair and let the 3rd be Dumoulin & Lovejoy in a much sheltered/reduced role.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006

I'm one of those "split up Maatta and Letang" guys, so I think he *could* complement Maatta nicely on the 2nd if he gets back on track.

PensPlz

Dec 23, 2009
Pittsburgh
Kunitz is going to have a lot of room out there playing with Crosby and Kessel. How can he not turn it around?

Harvey Birdman

…Need some law books, with pictures this time…
Oct 21, 2008
Penguins Legal Office
Even though I voted for him, Lovejoy doesn't belong on this list. He was playing well above minutes he has ever played in the NHL before and he was our #2 Dman at one point put him in repeated match ups that he had never been forced to play before. He is a 5/6 Dman or a #4 in a pinch due to injuries. He was simply forced to play a position well above his pay grade last season.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Even though I voted for him, Lovejoy doesn't belong on this list. He was playing well above minutes he has ever played in the NHL before and he was our #2 Dman at one point put him in repeated match ups that he had never been forced to play before. He is a 5/6 Dman or a #4 in a pinch due to injuries. He was simply forced to play a position well above his pay grade last season.

Lovejoy played too many minutes, but he played as a top 4 in '13-'14, and was told he'd play here in a top 4 role by JR, so it's not like he only played above the bottom pairing due to injury. The org expected him to come in and be a middle-pairing defenseman.

steveg

Jul 8, 2012
Norman, OK
I'm one of those "split up Maatta and Letang" guys, so I think he *could* complement Maatta nicely on the 2nd if he gets back on track.

I am also a "split Maatta and Letang" guy, and I can see your point about maybe Maatta and Lovejoy possibly being a similar dynamic to Fowler-Lovejoy.

Hmm...

While thinking about Maatta leading a second pairing, I hadn't thought specifically of Lovejoy being his partner. In that case, who do you see as being paired with Letang?

Dumo-Letang
Maatta-Lovejoy
Pouliot-Cole

or

Cole-Letang
Maatta-Lovejoy
Dumo-Poo

or something else?

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
I am also a "split Maatta and Letang" guy, and I can see your point about maybe Maatta and Lovejoy possibly being a similar dynamic to Fowler-Lovejoy.

Hmm...

While thinking about Maatta leading a second pairing, I hadn't thought specifically of Lovejoy being his partner. In that case, who do you see as being paired with Letang?

Dumo-Letang
Maatta-Lovejoy
Pouliot-Cole

or

Cole-Letang
Maatta-Lovejoy
Dumo-Poo

or something else?

I was thinking the bolded first, but your first option would actually be my fallback if Pouliot wasn't as comfortable on the right side at the pro level.

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
omg wow! they're players that any team would be lucky to have!
For third line work and spot duty in the top 6? Yeah they are.

To be honest so many people want a role player from the KHL and Perron in the top 6. Are people forgetting that Perron played his way off Sids line in the playoffs? Plus he didn't do much on the PP either.

Kunitz looked good in the playoffs and Sids lines started to work against the Rangers once Kunitz was back on it. Plus Kunitz is a player made to bang and crash along the end boards... he's not made to F3, he's not made to trap or overly play from the high slot.

I hate to say it but when Disco and the Pens got away from "grinding *****es down" they became ineffective as a team and with their players too. I'm hoping that the Pens get beack to offensive zone and end board hockey.

AjaxTelamon

Jul 8, 2011

I would worry about Maatta and Lovejoy to some extent, but if you're going to do that, then you've got Dumo or Pouliot on your top pairing with Letang. So then it would shake out:

Dumo Letang
Maatta Lovejoy
Pouliot Cole

Because you're effectively locked in with Letang, Cole and Lovejoy as your RD's. I'd much prefer Cole playing bigger minutes than Lovejoy though. Keep in mind, he was saddled with Scuds a lot of the time last year, and still managed to play well in a middle pairing role.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Lovejoy because he's most likely to be used in a role he can handle imo. And a comeback for him isn't really asking for him to go very far. Just be a 3rd pairing d-man basically. There's a good chance Kunitz is better than him still though, so it depends what you consider a comeback for him I guess.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad