Most improved team in 2021-22?

summer tooth

Aug 10, 2020
Blue Jackets will likely improve from this year. They had a lot of nice efforts at the beginning and were playoff contenders early on. Would be hard to be worse than they looked in the 2nd half of the season even if they tried. Yes I think the Jackets could make the playoffs next year if they can get their old form back.

letsgrowcactus

Jan 21, 2017
Ottawa is going to shock people. Don't be surprised if they make the playoffs as a WC team - or even knock off Toronto/Boston for the #3 spot in the division
Not sure I'd go that far but they are on the rise. The Atlantic looks like it will be tough next year and in the years to come.

Tampa (will they lose pieces in the offseason? And when has that ever stopped them?)

Then in no particular order:
Florida (can they build on this year's success?)
Montreal is having this great run (and while Price is the biggest part of it, it's never "just" the hot goalie)
Toronto (what changes do they make? Can they beat the Game 7 curse?)
Boston (seem to be on the decline, but they do have some young intriguing guys... and can you ever count them out with guys like Bergeron and Pastrnak?)

Then Ottawa looks like a young arriving team
Detroit is still a couple years away from thinking playoffs but their prospect pool looks pretty amazing
...at least Buffalo is a mess? Sorry Sabres fans

The Metro is no pushover either so you can't even hope there's five playoff spots in the division. It'll be interesting to see how things turn out.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Blue Jackets will likely improve from this year. They had a lot of nice efforts at the beginning and were playoff contenders early on. Would be hard to be worse than they looked in the 2nd half of the season even if they tried. Yes I think the Jackets could make the playoffs next year if they can get their old form back.

Let's see what team they put on the ice first. It really depends on what the FO does.

I think the Metro is going to be a murderer's row so the Jackets are going to have to go for an ultra retool to make it back in the playoffs. If they're trading big pieces for prospects then they're not going to make it. I do think they'll be better than this year either way, too much talent not to be, but playoffs is a big ask at this point.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Not sure I'd go that far but they are on the rise. The Atlantic looks like it will be tough next year and in the years to come.

Tampa (will they lose pieces in the offseason? And when has that ever stopped them?)

Then in no particular order:
Florida (can they build on this year's success?)
Montreal is having this great run (and while Price is the biggest part of it, it's never "just" the hot goalie)
Toronto (what changes do they make? Can they beat the Game 7 curse?)
Boston (seem to be on the decline, but they do have some young intriguing guys... and can you ever count them out with guys like Bergeron and Pastrnak?)

Then Ottawa looks like a young arriving team
Detroit is still a couple years away from thinking playoffs but their prospect pool looks pretty amazing
...at least Buffalo is a mess? Sorry Sabres fans

The Metro is no pushover either so you can't even hope there's five playoff spots in the division. It'll be interesting to see how things turn out.

The whole Eastern Conference is going to be loaded. There should be several playoff caliber clubs just missing the playoffs.

Reactions: letsgrowcactus

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
I see this but wonder why? Potential deals including Eichel, Reinhart and Risto with likely returns being picks/prospects being a significant step back for next year.

Its just a team that’s been better on paper than it has on the ice. You’d think that has to correct at some point.

Also, even if they do elect to burn it down, I could see it being one of those weird NYI-after-Tavares situations where they inexplicably get better. They’re already at the bottom. Can’t really get worse.

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
Vancouver.

2 years ago finished 3rd in the Pacific.

Don’t know exactly what happened this season, but I can guess. Bad goalie. COVID. Too much travel. Match up badly with Montreal (they haven’t beaten Montreal in 60 minutes since 2015).

On paper they weren’t as bad as they played. They scored the fewest points and gave up the 2nd most in the North.

They’ll return to the Pacific which has more teams they can beat. They’ll play a lot more games in their time zone. They won’t play Montreal a lot. They might figure out the goalie situation. They might not have a massive COVID break out. Pettersson will probably play more than half the season.

Ottawa is a team I would bet on going forward. They look like they have done the rebuild right. But I think they are still another year away from a good run. They will be a fun team to watch. They have a really good long term outlook. They have used high draft picks on defense as well as offense.

AvroArrow

69 for Papi
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
What are they gonna do, go to triple overtime of game 7 before losing in round one

They'll obviously blow a 3-0 series lead before that point but yes.

Sens will be the most improved because most of the league didn't take notice to the strides they made. After the 1st month, they were a very good team. Their young guys are only going to get better, they are a darkhorse to make the top 3 in the Atlantic IMO. Not getting nearly enough respect as they deserve. In reality they aren't the most improved next year, because they actually made those massive improvements mid-way through this season. But they'll put the whole league on notice next year, so for that reason I say Ottawa.

Zeeker

Feb 15, 2016
According to that other thread, Rangers are a lock to win the 2024 Cup. So they better get started improving next year

Beukeboom Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Chicago, IL
Visit site
Its just a team that’s been better on paper than it has on the ice. You’d think that has to correct at some point.

Also, even if they do elect to burn it down, I could see it being one of those weird NYI-after-Tavares situations where they inexplicably get better. They’re already at the bottom. Can’t really get worse.

You haven't watched the Sabres if you think things can't get worse. I didn't even mention that Ullmark is a UFA who wants out and was actually almost .500 win% last year.

IMO, the Sabres are starting from almost scratch. They might not get worse, but someone else is actually going to improve.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad