Most Iconic NY Islander of All Time?

Quicklime

Sep 25, 2006
Denver, CO
John_Tavares_2013-05-09.JPG

soon.

I couldn't decide between Trottier and Bossy.

Went Bossy.

rikker

Jun 6, 2003
Visit site
picked Potvin, but it was not easy.

actually, i read an article about the entire team, in a Maclean's magazine, in 1975. after reading about Arbour, Torrey, Bossy, Trottier and especially Potvin, i decided to become an Isles fan. at the time, i was 14 and a life long Habs fan, only because it was my dad's team. i decided then that i needed to exert some independance, and i have been a fan since. mostly because of the Potvin writeup.

so yeah, Potvin.

Al Arbour

Aug 18, 2014
New York
In the OP I said I was duplicating a poll that was on Newsday's site. Obviously if you want Arbour you'd vote Someone Else.

I voted for Nystrom. Took the poll as most iconic Islander player even though it wasn't stated. But in my mind Arbour is synonymous with the Stanley Cup, and I think he deserves to have been an option in the Newsday poll.

scott99

May 13, 2005
Bossy is the greatest Islander talent ever, but I think the best overall player was Potvin, so he gets my vote.

19 in a row

Jul 19, 2011
Long Island
What about Al Arbour?

His opinion for best player in the league was for #19 IIRC but seriously in a poll like this, I would find it very difficult to argue against any of 5,19,22, 23, 31 or Arbour (throw Torrey in if you like). All icons... and makes it all the more difficult if we are talking most iconic which is different from best player.

19NYSports91

Feb 1, 2012
Long Island
Bryan Trotter>Mike Bossy

I would probably say either Bryan Trottier or Denis Potvin.

How the hell did Nystrom have the same amount of votes as Trottier before I voted? :shakehead:help:

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
I voted for Trottier because he was THE guy on the Cup teams. Most valuable player on the ice, leader by example, and emblematic of the team's personality.

My only hesitation is that in the years since the dynasty, Bossy has been more of a presence in the organization. And Nystrom deserves consideration despite his 3rd line status since we're talking "iconic" and he's pretty much "Mr. Islander".

I would not consider Potvin despite his greatness on-ice only because he was maybe the only Isles' player who did not live on LI (he lived in Manhattan) and I always heard he was maybe a bit more distant from his teammates off-ice.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Bryan Trotter>Mike Bossy

I would probably say either Bryan Trottier or Denis Potvin.

How the hell did Nystrom have the same amount of votes as Trottier before I voted? :shakehead:help:

He was known as Mister Islander. Next question. :yo:

BossyMVP

Die SABRES die
Jun 27, 2011
Long Island
Potvin was best player most likely. If you can draft one player now it would be him or Trottier. But as a little boy who watched the miracle that was Mike Bossy, if we talk iconic, it was him. He would do things that would leave you in awe. And Mick Vukota. It's a tie.

scott99

May 13, 2005
Bossy may have been the 2nd best sniper (behind Gretzky) in NHL history. In fact, he is still #1 in goals per game average. He also has the most 60 goal seasons (tied with Gretzky), scored 50+ goals 9 seasons in a row (another record). Also holds the record for most points in a season for the Islanders (147 points). He was just an amazing player and huge part of that Dynasty. If I had to rate in order

1) Potvin
2) Bossy
3) Trottier
4) Smith

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010
I ask non-NYers who they remember when they hear "Islanders." Guess who they tell me.

Yup, Spano. That sucks, and no, I am not joking. :(

scott99

May 13, 2005
I ask non-NYers who they remember when they hear "Islanders." Guess who they tell me.

Yup, Spano. That sucks, and no, I am not joking. :(

You can only laugh. Just an amazing story, and it was a great 30 for 30 film. The fact that he just got arrested again is priceless. Probably was doing whatever he did to get arrested, while he was filming that film. Can't make that story up. I'm not offended when people mention Spano, it's a fascinating story, and it's part of our history. It is a negative, but you can't change history.

Also, you can throw it back in their faces that Bossy, Trottier and Potvin were better than any RW, center and defenseman in Ranger's history.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad