Most Iconic NY Islander of All Time?

majormet

Nov 12, 2009
Dix Hills, NY
I can see why you picked Nystrom as the "goal" in 1980 is the most iconic moment... I went with Potvin, because he probably was the best Islander player of all time.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
I went with Billy Smith, because I used to love how he slashed players in his crease

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
I voted for Bobby Ny. I'm the biggest Clark Gillies fan I know but if I think of one player who signifies what the Islanders were about it was Bobby Nystrom.

19 in a row

Jul 19, 2011
Long Island
Just need to look at my av.. To me no one epitomized hard work and all around game more than 19.. He could do everything, and do it well, in a businesslike manner without the flash.. Most points, best plus/minus and I think most games in Islander history, not to mention his two way grit. A lot of great choices but to me, among the greats we have had, he is the greatest and most iconic Islander of all time and IMHO it is not even close but I am sure the Potvin and Bossy fans may say the same about their guy.. The only number I have ever worn on an Isles jersey is 19, I can be stubborn that way.

Richie Daggers Crime

Boosted 9 times double masked they/them
Mar 8, 2004
Boise
Nystrom. Guy has been an Islander for 40+ years. The other guys went and did other stuff with other teams or ****ed off from hockey entirely.

enigmatic

Fire me please
Jul 7, 2009
nyc
wasn't alive for the glory yrs.....healy for the 93 team and JT for now....but if I'm gonna pick one from what i have heard, potvin all the way

i hope they chant how much JT sucks 30 years from now

ScaredStreit

May 5, 2006
Tampa, FL
Has to be between Potvin/Bossy/Trottier. Nystrom's not an icon outside of the franchise. Bossy/Trottier/Potvin are all icons to the game as a whole. Went with Bossy.

Poll fans out west and ask them who the top 5 iconic Isles ever are, and Nystrom doesn't make the list. Trottier/Potvin/Bossy come in at 1-3 (in any order).

edit: I will admit I'm biased against Nystrom mainly because he was a total d-bag to me when I was like 7 years old. LOL

Sparksrus3

Jun 2, 2012
When you average 60 goals per 80 games played for a ten year period the choice is easy.

Pnut

John_Tavares_2013-05-09.JPG

soon.

Strummergas

Regular User
Sep 3, 2006
Queens, NY
The original DP for me. The captain, one of the best defensemen of all time, the first to have his picture taken with the Cup, and they still hate him in MSG.

OlTimeHockey

Dec 5, 2003
home
A guy was an original Islander, played a hard nosed tough game during the lean years, but worked haRd....improved his skating and came every night to play, improving his game and there was rarely anyone as tough as him. The complete package.

As he grew, the team grew. As his status grew, we saw great players come in.....and the team rocketed. But....

It needed something....Butch Goring.

A tight nit group fought and lost until we got 91. But Ny and Clark did the dirty work in a cast of heros all that time until a pass from Tonelli.

Yeah, I picked Ny. His story just explains our Dynasty. He's not the best......but he is the most symbolic of the rise from doormat to dynasty. IMHO.

redbull

Boss
Mar 24, 2008
When you average 60 goals per 80 games played for a ten year period the choice is easy.

he's known for "the 50 goal seasons" but averaging 60 goals per 80 games over a career is pretty astounding. There' s a huge difference between scoring 60 goals compared to 50 goals (I know, ten is the difference - smartasses) - and to be that prolific in every game, in the playoffs, in winning cups, is pretty special. I think playing his whole career as an Islander and still being a prominent Islander, years after retirement, puts Boss on top.

Trottier continuing his career with a few other teams doesn't hurt his Isles-icon much, to me, but probably a little bit for some.

Potvin is my next closest because he was the first to come along and simply dominate, even before the team was good, let alone great.

Hard to choose....too many great ones.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad