Most hated habs player

Status
Not open for further replies.

CH25

Self-proclaimed Habs connoisseur
Apr 12, 2010
Montreal
Desharnais is an undrafted free agent who has 195 career regular season points (and counting) in a Habs' uniform.
Apart from Max Pacioretty & Andrei Kostitsyn, that's more than all of the Habs' 1st round drafted players since Saku Koivu (1993).

Haters gonna hate.

Who cares. Look at the draft and you realise our best picks come later than the first. Markov, Plekanec and Subban among those still with the Habs. There's more that played with others teams.

attachetatuque

un gros bonhomme!
Feb 1, 2013
During my time here, I have seen a lot players come and go. But some players stand out in getting more heat than others.

Who do you think go was the most hated player on HF? I'm probably forgetting some guys but I listed a few players here who at least have played or are playing for a significant period of time.

Feel free to list other players though.

I feel like Brisebois takes it...I mean...no one ever booed DD. Brisebois had it bad and that was before twitter/other social media.

pepperMonkey

Aug 2, 2005
Toronto
How can this poll NOT have Ribs? Seriously? The guy with the most bash threads not named DD is Ribs. Had more hate threads than even Breezy. Frankly blows Rivet and the Cube out of the water...

Maliki2

Mar 31, 2005
Saint Albans, VT
Had to go with DD. I have nothing against him personally, sure he is a nice guy and all, but I hate his contract. I hate that MT is in love with this guy.

Breezer is a close second, but he was just a terrible hockey player! :laugh:

Ghetto Sangria

Apr 14, 2009
And in reality, if you guys call what we do on DD is HATE, then every Habs gets hate.

PK is hated (9M$, takes stupid penalties, takes stupid decisions, )
Eller is hated (NO IQ, stupid hockey player, good at nothing, overrated etc..)
Plekanec is hated (playoffs choker, plays like a girl, overrated..)

Price, Pacioretty, Markov all have their haters also then.

DD gets "hate" more because he plays the biggest role in our offense group for the past 3 years.. big responsibilty, big expectations.. and when you don't meet the expectation of a first offensive center, you will get bashed more.. It's simple.

PK doesn't get as much hate because he plays a much complete game, he is a Norris winner, he is a playoffs performer.. same with Plekanec, much more versatile, can be useful when not producing, usually gets the leftover wingers or more defensive one..

Also, let's not pretend DD never deserved some bashing this season. He hasn't been particularly good this season.

Like I said, the first center is the biggest role for the forwards.

Koivu despite being a warrior and a playoffs performer, got a lot of criticisms from the media and fans when he was here.

Same for Gomez, played the 1st center role, sucked, was way overpaid, got bashed by everyone.

So if you expect that we go soft on DD who isn't close to what Koivu and Gomez accomplished, you guys are crazy.

Damn dude... you are on a mission in this thread. Literally none of your other examples (even Gomez) come close to the amount of hate DD has. We all know he's misused and it could get frustrating, but holy **** man. New levels of hate.

This just brings up the problem with HF Habs. I feel a lot of great posters have not even bothered to post anymore because it's just become a DD and Therrien **** fest. Literally every thread (minus the Impact thread THANK GOD!) has nothing but DD and Therrien hate (even the Pateryn thread which has literally nothing to do with either guys), to the point where I go to the General boards to read something positive about the habs :laugh:.

This team is in first place, but you wouldn't know it reading these boards. It's a shame really. This team finally has a solid core that can go far but no one wants to enjoy it. It's all because of Carey Price... not the team (even though he's paid to be one of the main contributors to the team's success:laugh:).

MasterDecoy

Who took my beer?
May 4, 2010
Beijing
Had to go with DD. I have nothing against him personally, sure he is a nice guy and all, but I hate his contract. I hate that MT is in love with this guy.

Breezer is a close second, but he was just a terrible hockey player! :laugh:

you're kinda proving the point that the hate he got was unwaranted. 900 games, all-time 5th in goals and points for a habs defensemen. only robinson, lapointe, harvey and savard have more points than he does

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
you're kinda proving the point that the hate he got was unwaranted. 900 games, all-time 5th in goals and points for a habs defensemen. only robinson, lapointe, harvey and savard have more points than he does

Checkmate!!! DD isn't even hated by the general fanbase. Just the social media polarized keyboard warriors. Everything with social media is either a love it or hate it debate.......no middle ground or grey areas.

Players like Gomez, Bourque, Kovalev, Cole, Richer, Malakhov, the Kostitsyn brothers etc. desrved to be criticized for lack of effort at times. Tired of hearing the over the top whining and personal attacks on Desharnais because he does the best he can. It is ok to want him replaced but the hate is more like infantile tantrums because the child wants a different toy than it is currently stuck with.

brian70

Jul 8, 2012
PAP playing his lowest TOI in years kind of defies the logic of names you brought up though.

Sure. And you can add Bournival and Briere to the lot. But I don't remember the french media praising them as much as they did David. I do know that Therrien spent a year at RDS listening to the talking heads worshiping DD.

I may be wrong about the french connection but I find it hard to justify Therrien's love for Desharnais.

geometrically*

I have never hated a habs player more than Desharnais. Bouillon is second.

NoNachoNoParty

Dec 8, 2011
Montreal
Been fellowing the Habs religiously since 2009, only player disliked was Gomez after a while. Even then, he always was a class act, funny and great all around guy so its hard to say i could hate him, i actually loved the person, but the player irritated me.
Also, while i do love the dude, but Lars Eller's sense of entitlement is quite annoying.

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal
A few points:

1. I never understood the hate directed at Brisebois. As far as the hate itself, it was pretty bad. He was essentially being bullied. Never seen that type of hate since.

2. Gomez was by far hated the most. The biggest difference is that he had almost 0 defenders. The guy was actually despise by 98% of the people who spoke about him. It really isn't close.

3. While DD gets a lot of hate, I've never, ever, seen a player on the Habs get that much rope in all my time watching the Canadiens. As for as his hate goes, 90% of it stems from the favoritism the coaching staff accords him by giving him that role. When DD was taken off the first line this season, the hate almost went quiet outside of a few exceptions, but let's face it, almost any player on the club has haters no matter how well they play. DD's hate is the unfortunate by product of playing in a role he doesn't belong.

4. The player I hate the most in my time watching the Canadiens was Alex Kovalev. Such a waste of talent

vokiel

#MolsonIsntWine
Jan 31, 2007
Montréal
Forgot, A. Kostitsyn got his fair share of hatred from this board when he wasn't breaking up for us. ;)

He never was that super star.

JLP

Refugee
Aug 16, 2005
Gomez needs to be in the poll. Like Desharnais the hate is often not on him personally, but triggered by coaching and management factors (losing McDonagh / contract / overuse / coddling)

Tarasenko

Unregistered User
Oct 11, 2011
Brisebois is the most hated player I've seen in my entire life. He was hated by everybody without exception. Booed everytime he had the puck. ALWAYS.
On HFBoards, Gomez deserves a mention. The hate towards DD is off-limit too.

Uber Coca

Apr 23, 2003
Montreal
Voted Desharnais by mistake. Desharnais is hated over here, but Brisebois was really hated and booed constantly at home. Gainey once appeared on the jumbotron and asked people to simply stop that. Thinking about it... people were more sympathetic to Brisebois over here (at that time, I thought that people on HFBoards had more knowledge about the game than the population in general). So yeah, it's quite the opposite now. Desharnais is hated over here (by a vocal minority, still) but the general opinion is that he's an honest guy, a hard worker and Quebecers love that type of people.

Brisebois could never deliver what was expected of him. Desharnais is asked to be a #1 and somehow delivers.

crystal ball

Mar 30, 2007
Personally, I've always liked DD. He's a scrappy little guy who made it when nobody except him and his mom thought he would. Some days, his mom didn't even believe it. He does have skill too, even though he falls a lot and doesn't shoot very much. But I really hate the way MT treats him like a superstar. There's no way he should be back with Max after the team's best scorer looked so good with Pleks.

Gomez is the one I hated the most. He couldn't help getting his big, fat, terrible contract traded to Montreal for a guy who turned out to be an excellent D. But he could help looking like he didn't care most nights, and laughing it off whenever anyone asked him about why he was sucking. That smirk. Yuck.

Someone mentioned Samsonov earlier. I hated him too.

Beatnik

Sep 2, 2002
Québec
Visit site
The only players to always have a thread bashing them on page one:

Ribeiro
Boullion
Brisebois
DD

It's mostly a language thing. There is about 10-15 people here that never do anything but attack french players and coaches.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad