Most hated habs player

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rosso Scuderia

Jun 30, 2012
Damn dude... you are on a mission in this thread. Literally none of your other examples (even Gomez) come close to the amount of hate DD has. We all know he's misused and it could get frustrating, but holy **** man. New levels of hate.

This just brings up the problem with HF Habs. I feel a lot of great posters have not even bothered to post anymore because it's just become a DD and Therrien **** fest. Literally every thread (minus the Impact thread THANK GOD!) has nothing but DD and Therrien hate (even the Pateryn thread which has literally nothing to do with either guys), to the point where I go to the General boards to read something positive about the habs :laugh:.

This team is in first place, but you wouldn't know it reading these boards. It's a shame really. This team finally has a solid core that can go far but no one wants to enjoy it. It's all because of Carey Price... not the team (even though he's paid to be one of the main contributors to the team's success:laugh:).

I never hate DD tbh. He could be frustrating to watch at time but I never deny that he's an NHLer, with very good vision and passing skill. I never blame him for playing the role his playing. That's the point here. Like everyone is pointing out, the criticism is directed to the organization/coach for using him in a role that is too big for him.

Like I said, if he plays the first center role, he needs to be prepare to get bash from the fans if he doesn't do the job even if he didn't chose to play that role. Every first center that played for the Montreal Canadiens in the past 20 years got their share of criticism. Koivu was blamed for not talking french, for not winning the cup.. Gomez was bashed by 99% of the fans for sucking while making 7.3M$.

Koivu didn't get the same amount of hate than DD. You know why? Because he is a better player. He is a better producer (0.81PPG vs. 0.63) and he is a better playoffs performer (0.89PPG vs. 0.37PPG) despite not having a 35-40 goals scorer to play with.

DD has one job with the Montreal and its to produce. We don't ask him to be a 2 ways players, we don't ask him to be physical player, we don't expect him to be a leader.. all we ask from him is to produce, the coach gives him absolutely everything to make him produce. So it's normal that the expectations are high we all that considered yet.. the last time DD had a productive season was the season we finished dead last. Every other seasons and playoffs, considering he played mostly with Pacioretty, he's been a disappointement.

That's why Koivu, Plekanec, PK, Markov doesn't get as much hate, its because they do their job and they are more versatile. DD has one job and barely do it properly.

Last edited:

Capitaine Subban*

The only players to always have a thread bashing them on page one:

Ribeiro
Boullion
Brisebois
DD

It's mostly a language thing. There is about 10-15 people here that never do anything but attack french players and coaches.

Pretty much

DangerDave

Mete's Shot
Feb 8, 2015
T.O
I'd have to vote Spacek. Didn't hate the guy personally and actually thought he was pretty funny but he was so bad during his tenure with the habs!

Still can't believe we got Kaberle lol.

Right now though I don't really hate any of the players. Gilbert and Emelin are pretty inconsistent and that bugs me a lot. Eller is pretty fussy and wish he would accept that his skill set would make him a better winger but his play is OK. Toker has had a few rough games recently but he did so well for us earlier in the season. Over all I would say Gilbert since he was highly touted when we got him but he has disappointed.

gillyguzzler

Jan 21, 2007
Ontario
On HF, by far, the most hate (pure spiteful hatred) is directed at DD, it's not even close.

Perfect example - Saturday, DD scores the winning SO goal to beat the rival Leafs. On the PGT, about 75% of the posts bash DD. It's an obsession for SO many haters here.

But it's mostly limited to HF. Having seen my fair share of games live, DD is loved and appreciated by the fans in attendance. Plus, he really seems to be very popular with his teammates.

Yes, the french media loves and defends him non stop. Yes, he's a diminutive french guy. Yes, he shouldn't be a #1 center. But, Galchenyuk isn't ready and doesn't want to play there. I like Eller a lot but he'll never be the centerman that Patches needs. If they were to trade for Toews and DD was still #1 center, then MT should get fired on the spot. But we have no Toews for now.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Not the biggest fan of DD but don't get how out of hand some of the hate for him has become. I voted Brisebois or Breezeby. Dude was in his own world so often.

S Bah

Nov 7, 2010
victoria bc
During my time here, I have seen a lot players come and go. But some players stand out in getting more heat than others.

Who do you think go was the most hated player on HF? I'm probably forgetting some guys but I listed a few players here who at least have played or are playing for a significant period of time.

Feel free to list other players though.

If it was in their history, probably John Ferguson & Chris Nilan by other teams. On the HF Habs Board without any doubt David Desharnais takes more abuse here than any player ever including Scott Gomez, which seems truly inane for a Hab fan IMHO.:nod:

Forum93

Feb 16, 2015
Never hated any of the players mentioned in the poll- just didn't like them.:D
Haven't seen Mark Recchi mentioned yet. Always like him as Hab Recchi but hated him as Dr.Recchi. turned out to be a real ****** with the Bruins.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
Checkmate!!! DD isn't even hated by the general fanbase. Just the social media polarized keyboard warriors. Everything with social media is either a love it or hate it debate.......no middle ground or grey areas.

Players like Gomez, Bourque, Kovalev, Cole, Richer, Malakhov, the Kostitsyn brothers etc. desrved to be criticized for lack of effort at times. Tired of hearing the over the top whining and personal attacks on Desharnais because he does the best he can. It is ok to want him replaced but the hate is more like infantile tantrums because the child wants a different toy than it is currently stuck with.

We are not looking the same games. Not at all.

When DD did 60 points he was doing the best he could. This season he is coasting. Coasting a lot i would say. We saw that when he was demoted on the 3rd line. He was putting much more effort in his play and he looked good.

Really i'm dumbfounded by people who think any guy with any kind of talent can do 48 points on a first line while putting any level of effort (DD is on pace for a 48 points season in 82 games).

If the best DD can do on a first line with a sniper like Patch is 48 points then he doesn't have much skills and should be on a 3rd line. Plekanec did better on a 2nd line playing with Darche, Moen, Blunded and such the year we missed the playoffs.

DD is coasting. Anyone who can't see that are looking at the game with rose tinted DD glasses.

Rosso Scuderia

Jun 30, 2012
On HF, by far, the most hate (pure spiteful hatred) is directed at DD, it's not even close.

Perfect example - Saturday, DD scores the winning SO goal to beat the rival Leafs. On the PGT, about 75% of the posts bash DD. It's an obsession for SO many haters here.

But it's mostly limited to HF. Having seen my fair share of games live, DD is loved and appreciated by the fans in attendance. Plus, he really seems to be very popular with his teammates.

Yes, the french media loves and defends him non stop. Yes, he's a diminutive french guy. Yes, he shouldn't be a #1 center. But, Galchenyuk isn't ready and doesn't want to play there. I like Eller a lot but he'll never be the centerman that Patches needs. If they were to trade for Toews and DD was still #1 center, then MT should get fired on the spot. But we have no Toews for now.

This is not true and DD supporters always do this to whine about DD being hate.

Nobody criticized DD for scoring his SO goal, nobody bash him for that. There was a discussion on DD because he was named the first star for doing what Galchenyuk did in the SO. Some thought it was BS DD was named despite not having that good of a game despite having 0 g, 0a, -1, no shot. It's not because we don't agree with the first star mean that we are hating on DD. You guys are ridiculous and wayyy overused the word hate.

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
Please add Traverse, Popovich , Ronan, Dionne, Berezin, Bure and Audette.

Not The One

Feb 28, 2002
Montréal, Qc.
Please add Traverse, Popovich , Ronan, Dionne, Berezin, Bure and Audette.

Most of those weren't around here when HF existed.

If you could add pre-HF players I would go with:

Richer (the 80's Latendresse: under appreciated, but great trade)
Malakhov (IMO his bad rep was somewhat exagerated but like Richer he would have been hated here)

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
For me it's Ribeiro and its not even close. He's a special combination of being a terrible person and teammate all rolled up in one.

gillyguzzler

Jan 21, 2007
Ontario
This is not true and DD supporters always do this to whine about DD being hate.

Nobody criticized DD for scoring his SO goal, nobody bash him for that. There was a discussion on DD because he was named the first star for doing what Galchenyuk did in the SO. Some thought it was BS DD was named despite not having that good of a game despite having 0 g, 0a, -1, no shot. It's not because we don't agree with the first star mean that we are hating on DD. You guys are ridiculous and wayyy overused the word hate.

All you have to do is go back and read... then you may retract your accusation that I am lying.

Rosso Scuderia

Jun 30, 2012
All you have to do is go back and read... then you may retract your accusation that I am lying.

So you're telling me DD was criticize for scoring a shootout goal? :laugh:

You know if DD didn't play a good game, he deserved to be criticize right? Even if he scored a SO goal.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada

Malakhov (IMO his bad rep was somewhat exagerated but like Richer he would have been hated here)

The problem with Malahov is i feel he never wanted to be a star. He just wanted to do his job defensively. Looks at his stats in russia. He was a defensive d man back there. Konstantinov and Kasatonov was producing more than him in russia. He was a 2nd pairing d man with the CSKA.

Then he can to NA and he had a good shot. Like all russians back then he had good hands (even the guy playing 3rd line in russia had good hands). Teams in the NHL tried to make a qb out of him and gave him big offensive duties.

In his prime Malakhov was an underrated defensive d man. He did well in this role when he won the cup with the Devils. He also made Barnaby turtle in a fight which alone is worth all the pennies we paid him.

Habs 4 Life

No Excuses
Mar 30, 2005
Montreal
I honestly never really hated any Habs players to be honest, some got me nervous and frustrated me more then others but hate? I mean they're Habs and that's my team

In recent years those players

Traverse, Brisebois, A. Kostitsyn, Berezin and Samsonov

I'm not a DD hater, I really just ignore the media when it comes to him. Can't hate a player just because of the Pejorative Slurs on RDS and Radio

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal
This thread is thin ice. The topic is interesting, will keep it open for now, but it's on a short leash. No more accusations.

JLP

Refugee
Aug 16, 2005
It is NOT about language. Habs fans here and everywhere love Beliveau, Lafleur, etc. but we don't have these guys anymore. Recently we had Bouillon playing top-pairing minutes and PP (!) and an absurdist drama where coach has cast Desharnais in the role of #1C. This is the same situation as Gomez was in, he was pretty widely disliked.

Of course some bad people dislike PK because he's black, some bad people dislike DD because he's french Québécois some bad people dislike Emelin because he's Russian. And some bad people disliked Koivu because he didn't speak French.

But they are bad people. Most of us here are better than them. And thanks Andy for your patience.

Rosso Scuderia

Jun 30, 2012
I think some people doesn't understand what hate mean. Criticize a player after a bad game is not hating.

You want to know what hate is? I hate Stephane Langdeau, I hate Gaston Therrien, I hate Francois Gagnon, I hate Alain Chantelois.. these people I really do hate. It's not the same thing with Habs player.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007

Richer? No way. People LOVED that guy.
Everyone hated Gomez, I can't think of a single supporter...not one.
Coldplay was one. Mathman liked him.
For me it's Ribeiro and its not even close. He's a special combination of being a terrible person and teammate all rolled up in one.
Yeah, Ribeiro... man I never want to see him near Montreal again. Not even at an oldtimers game. Just can't stand that guy. Only time I've ever been embarrassed being a Hab fan was that pathetic display of being hurt and rolling around, then going to the bench and laughing. To me he should've gotten a misconduct for it. The sideways ballcaps and gold chains didn't help either. Just glad he's gone.

lxzred

Sep 10, 2008
Victoria
Is this like that time I called that guy an idiot for being an idiot and he called me racist? Or that other time...well really many times that idiots/ a-holes called me racist for calling them out for terrible behavior?
I'm not saying that there is 0% of that going on but come on, being French is far from the biggest reason to dislike DD as a #1 center.

Habs10Habs

Retired
Sponsor
Aug 22, 2006
I think some people doesn't need what hate mean. Criticize a player after a bad game is not hating.

You want to know what hate is? I hate Stephane Langdeau, I hate Gaston Therrien, I hate Francois Gagnon, I hate Alain Chantelois.. these people I really do hate. It's not the same thing with Habs player.

I agree with you, but some posters here go beyond criticizing and take it to a more personal level. You know it's bad when you're reading a topic (thread) that has nothing to do with DD, and his name pops up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad