Confirmed with Link: Moss re-signed (1 yr, $800k)

KG

Sep 23, 2010
Board is officially split between fire Tippet/GMDM and status quo crowds

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
Yea because taking shots at others always debunk the arguments of others.

:sarcasm: :sarcasm: :sarcasm:

Debunk? Okay, first, who's better out there that's obtainable? Tippet does more with less than any coach that I know. Want Torts? he's good for a sideshow, but that's about it. Want Noel? I didn't think so. Want a rookie NHL coach in this difficult market? I don't.

Much as I don't like some of Maloney's moves, in all fairness he needs a few years with stable ownership to show his worth, and to sell it to prospective players.

ClassLessCoyote

Staying classy
Jun 10, 2009
Debunk? Okay, first, who's better out there that's obtainable? Tippet does more with less than any coach that I know. Want Torts? he's good for a sideshow, but that's about it. Want Noel? I didn't think so. Want a rookie NHL coach in this difficult market? I don't.

Much as I don't like some of Maloney's moves, in all fairness he needs a few years with stable ownership to show his worth, and to sell it to prospective players.

I'm not in favor of Tippett or Maloney getting fired at this point as I have and will continue to not take a Pro or Anti Tippett and Maloney position but rather remain somewhere in the center with regards to these 2.

GiveAFlyingPuck

Boring hockey aficionado
Sponsor
Jun 19, 2011
NW Valley of the Sun

There is no other option. They continue to work under their contracts or they are fired. If you fire them don't they still get paid. Not a sound move for a budget team especially after Ribiero's buy-out. The owners like Tip and Obi Don. I doubt it matters what we think since we're not writing the checks.

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
I can't really think of anything positive to say...low money and term I guess?

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville

Meh. If the team fails to make the playoffs for a third straight season, and fails to appear to have any cohesion or effort level of any kind for the third straight year, I'd be fine with firing the entire front office and coaching staff. Ownership probably won't. And that'll be okay too. Provided Maloney understands it's his ass if he doesn't lay down the goddamned law with Tippett, and shove a youth movement down his ****ing throat. "You WILL teach these youngsters to be Dave Tippett players."

RABBIT

wasn’t gonna be a fan but Utalked me into it
I don't know if I would fire Maloney if we don't make the playoffs this year, but I'm not sure about what I would do with Tippett.

After missing the playoffs 2 years in a row, it's easy to forget what these 2 men did for us when they took over.

Maloney has made maybe 2 bad trades and 1 bad signing in his 7 years of being here. One if those trades his hands were tied and he didn't really have much to work with, and the singing was a risk pretty much any GM in the NHL would've taken. He may go dumpster diving a little more often than we'd like to see, but he's never been afraid of being active, which I like. He's very well respected league wide, too. Maloney gets a free pass in my book, as long as he promises to be more like his old self (acquiring a number one center in Olli Joke, acquiring 8 players in one day, ect.)

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
It will depend on how they lose and by how much. If the Coyotes play respectable hockey, I could see them escaping the firing squad one more time. However, if the team plays like last year, they are both going to be under the gun. Maloney's tenure almost works against him here, as ownership will be looking for change. Tippett is sort of digging his own grave by personally recommending players (Ribeiro, Moss), and by saying stupid things about youth.

I really wouldn't shed any tears if, at the end of the year, this team is looking at a top 10 or even top 5 pick and fires them both. Replace them with Regier and Ulf, who will probably jump at the chance to coach his own son.

Regier is the guy you want to start a rebuild with. Look at the Vanek trade. When he is forced to act, he's pretty good at trades. Arguably better than Maloney. He's the guy I'd want cracking open a roster with the intention of retooling.

Give it one more go for the sake of Doaner. If they can't do it by the deadline, blow this mother up. Everything over 25 goes.

WJF

Jul 19, 2007
Los Angeles

I wanted Laviolette. Preds were smart enough to pick him up. We'll see what he does, but one thing I'm sure off, he's not going to hand-cuff his young players like Tippet or Trotz would.

WJF

Jul 19, 2007
Los Angeles
Regier is the guy you want to start a rebuild with. Look at the Vanek trade. When he is forced to act, he's pretty good at trades. Arguably better than Maloney. He's the guy I'd want cracking open a roster with the intention of retooling.

Regier scares the hell out of me. I reside in Buffalo and watching him make his boneheaded moves here was pretty crazy. He's the guy responsible for bringing in Ville Leino and Ehroff at bloated contracts when the owner opened his wallet one year.

letowskie

Aug 16, 2002
In your worst nighmare
Visit site
All the clowns on this forum really crack me up.

Thank God none of them work for the team and can implement their ideas! :laugh:

Oh yes;

I see that Tippett die-hards are really good for two things these days. Calling other ppl names, and be thankful that Tippett is still in power to this day. Not really out of character though, since these guys love pluggers like Mossy and Klink to death, and wouldn't lift a finger to keep someone like Vrby in town. He scores, who needs that, all we need are more pluggers and grinders.

Fyreman

Ret FD Batt Chief
Jul 19, 2013
I don't know if I would fire Maloney if we don't make the playoffs this year, but I'm not sure about what I would do with Tippett.

After missing the playoffs 2 years in a row, it's easy to forget what these 2 men did for us when they took over.

Maloney has made maybe 2 bad trades and 1 bad signing in his 7 years of being here. One if those trades his hands were tied and he didn't really have much to work with, and the singing was a risk pretty much any GM in the NHL would've taken. He may go dumpster diving a little more often than we'd like to see, but he's never been afraid of being active, which I like. He's very well respected league wide, too. Maloney gets a free pass in my book, as long as he promises to be more like his old self (acquiring a number one center in Olli Joke, acquiring 8 players in one day, ect.)
This is a BUDGET MINDED team. With what they've had to work with, I can see them not making the playoffs a third straight year and both jobs being saved. The fourth year is the true key I guess for the 5 year out plan.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
Not really out of character though, since these guys love pluggers like Mossy and Klink to death, and wouldn't lift a finger to keep someone like Vrby in town. He scores, who needs that, all we need are more pluggers and grinders.

If I'm the ownership, I like Moss for < $1 mil on a 1 year contract and Klinkhammer for just over a mil on a short term deal more than I like Vrbata for $4 mil plus term and a NMC.

A pro athlete's peak production time is between ages 25 and 30. Vrbata was on the wrong end of that equation.

And yes, Vrbata is a natural goal scorer. But he's not the kind of player who takes a team and puts it on his shoulders.

I'm fine with him in Vancouver.

ClassLessCoyote

Staying classy
Jun 10, 2009
This is aBUDGET MINDED team. With what they've had to work with, I can see them not making the playoffs a third straight year and both jobs being saved. The fourth year is the true key I guess for the 5 year out plan.

"Budget minded", "budget team" or whatever is being thrown around way too easily as of late, especially with this notion of a "free pass" (which I'll admit I'm guilty in the past of using) that is granted with a "budget team".

The only way a true non-budget team can exist is if the NHL didn't have a salary cap and the owner is willing to throw down every dollar made in the past, now and in the future towards getting the players needed to win. Every team has a budget to work with considering the salary cap is in place. What we are is a team that has that a tighter budget put on by the current owners on top of the imposed salary cap by the league. Not to mention, our budget would be tighter than what it is now if we didn't have a cap floor.

But regardless if the purse strings are tied or not, any functional business is supposed to have accountability for all. Tippett and Maloney should never have this "free pass" especially since both before have managed in the past to do well while working under a tight budget. However, both are treading downwards even while continuing to work under the same set of budget circumstances and many of these screw-ups came as a result of where the budget is not the issue.

WJF

Jul 19, 2007
Los Angeles
If I'm the ownership, I like Moss for < $1 mil on a 1 year contract and Klinkhammer for just over a mil on a short term deal more than I like Vrbata for $4 mil plus term and a NMC.

A pro athlete's peak production time is between ages 25 and 30. Vrbata was on the wrong end of that equation.

And yes, Vrbata is a natural goal scorer. But he's not the kind of player who takes a team and puts it on his shoulders.

I'm fine with Vrbata in Vancouver. I'm even fine with Ribeiro becoming an expensive mistake.

What I'm not fine with is putting an aging Doan on our first line and our first PP unit.

What I'm not fine with is us have having two 2Cs, one of them good for only 65% of the games.

What I'm not fine with is burying our young players behind the likes of Dave Moss and Dave Schlemko.

What I'm not fine with is us having three 3rd lines.

What I'm not fine with is letting players like Rundblad go for a 2nd without ever giving him a fair shot.

Kaizen

Sep 30, 2004
Prince George B.C.

Klink only cashes in to the tune of $625K.

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
I'm not a Moss fan, in fact he's the one guy I was really not wanting them to bring back but honestly I don't understand the extreme uproar here. He didn't cost a lot and it's only a 1yr contract, what's the big deal? :dunno:

KG

Sep 23, 2010
I'm not a Moss fan, in fact he's the one guy I was really not wanting them to bring back but honestly I don't understand the extreme uproar here. He didn't cost a lot and it's only a 1yr contract, what's the big deal? :dunno:

The problem is: David "Thousand Yard Stare" Moss.

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
The problem is: David "Thousand Yard Stare" Moss.
Yeah I get that but it's not like this move really does anything. Moss has sucked as a Coyote, doesn't seem to give two ***** about playing in the NHL much less for the Coyotes and I'm skeptical he'll return to his Calgary form but again it's a 1yr deal and it's super cheap so why is this thread 15 pages?! You'd think Domi was traded to acquire Moss the way so many here have their panties in an uproar.

KG

Sep 23, 2010
It's because we don't want that attitude infecting the locker room.

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
I think DT and DM knows more than us about Moss's attitude. None of us knows what goes on behind those closed doors.

Of course. But there's only so much added value being a good locker room guy can bring. LaBarbera and Morris by all accounts were good, likable veterans in the room too - but (especially in the case of Babs) it didn't make up for their mediocre-to-lackluster play on the ice.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
^Coaches and GMs get things wrong on occasion too. In taking that stance there is basically no reason to question anything.

Sin, the reason for the 15 page thread is it sprouted into a philosophical discussion over the direction of the team. With sprinkles of rage included of course.

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona

The big deal is he's going to take the minutes a talented young scorer could be playing. At the end of the season I'm much rather have a Domi or Lessio with the games and minutes Moss will play under their belt helping us push for a playoff spot. At least then we'd have a shot at a more talented and exciting player. With Moss we know exactly what we're going to get and it's nothing near talented or exciting and there will be little to no scoring to be found.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad