Player Discussion: Morrissey's quiet redemption

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
Man. What a run of game. Josh Norrissey has been exceptional all season long, certainly in terms of mobility, retrieval, transition, offence and ...chutzpah, and he's also been frequently astonishing, regularly making those magical "rewind" plays that bear rewatching and breaking down.

That combination of technical brilliance, creativity and sheer showmanship tend to be in short supply for many NHL teams, and certainly for the Jets on the back end since Buff was in his prime, and pomp.

He's been trending way up since last December 17th, 2021 (coincidence?), so hopefully it isn't lightning in a bottle, but even if it is -- what lightning. What a bottle.

[Cue angel voices....]

1673108507950.png

Last edited:

cg98

Oct 10, 2017
Man. What a run of game. Josh Norrissey has been exceptional all season long, certainly in terms of mobility, retrieval, transition, offence and ...chutzpah, and he's also been frequently astonishing, regularly making those magical "rewind" plays that bear rewatching and breaking down.

That combination of technical brilliance, creativity and sheer showmanship tend to be in short supply for many NHL teams, and certainly for the Jets on the back end since Buff was in his prime, and pomp.

He's been trending way up since last December 17th, 2021 (coincidence?), so hopefully it isn't lightning in a bottle, but even if it is -- what lightning. What a bottle.

[Cue angel voices....]

View attachment 631684
Morrissey has been good for a really long time. He's just finally got the grasp at the NHL level as a TRUE 1D and is running with it.

I remember watching him at those World Junior tournaments in 2014 and 2015 with McDavid, and seeing him rip a bomb past Demko on NYE. I even watched the Rockets run to the Memorial Cup when he and Draisaitl were both traded to them. Magnificent specimen.

kanadalainen

A pint of dark matter, please.
Jan 7, 2017
The 100th Meridian
This is a recent story by Murat Ates... its decent. Thought I would share it, and hope this is within the bounds of whats allowed to be posted. Mods -> if it not, please delete.
-k

By Murat Ates
Jan 31, 2023

Josh Morrissey made the Jets believe.
That’s the simplest story that can be told about Winnipeg’s 4-2 comeback win against St. Louis on Monday night.
After 40 minutes of solid five-on-five hockey, interspersed with the Blues converting on one of two power plays and the Jets missing on six, Winnipeg started the third period in a 1-0 hole. Two minutes and two seconds into Winnipeg’s final frame effort to tie the game, Nikita Alexandrov doubled St. Louis’ lead. The Jets had played well enough to give themselves a shot to win, burned enough opportunities to give themselves a chance to lose and had every reason to believe that their three-game losing streak was on its way to becoming four.

Morrissey refused to accept that.
Less than a minute after Alexandrov’s 2-0 goal, Morrissey picked up a Saku Maenalanen pass in his own zone, kicking off a long two-on-one with Morgan Barron. As the Blues scrambled to get into recover, Morrissey took the St. Louis blue line, looked off a pass and fired a snap shot so hard it made Jordan Binnington forget he was channeling 2019.
“(Morrissey’s goal) just turned the whole game around in our favour,” head coach Rick Bowness said after the game. “That was a hell of a shot and a great rush.”
But it wasn’t enough.
Morrissey, not content with a highlight-reel goal, took his celebration straight to the crowd. Fists pumping, eyes aflame, Morrissey called out to the fans that had been quiet all night after booing the Jets’ listless effort just two nights before this one.
“Let’s f—— go!” he bellowed. “Let’s f—— go!”
The crowd roared. The Jets went. Mark Scheifele scored a beautiful goal, set up by Nikolaj Ehlers and Kyle Connor seven minutes later. Twenty-one seconds after that, Morrissey scored again. Morrissey blocked his third shot of the game off Blues sniper Vladimir Tarasenko. The Blues called a timeout, pulled Binnington and Scheifele blocked Brayden Schenn’s last-ditch effort before rushing down the ice to finish into an empty net.
Winnipeg’s difference-makers? Found.
And Morrissey is the one who found them.
“Josh played frickin’ fantastic tonight,” Scheifele said. “He always does, and he got rewarded. A few big goals by him, and he led us tonight for sure.”
It was the second of two “fricks” that a fired-up Scheifele, the noted non-user of foul language that he is, had unleashed on us in his postgame scrum.
So I asked if Morrissey’s furious, unbridled, eff-bomb-dropping joy had set him off.

“Yeah, I think it was huge,” Scheifele said. “This is what the game is all about. You gotta get excited, you gotta get ramped up and get the crowd into it.”

Four days before scoring the goal which ignited Winnipeg’s comeback against St. Louis, I perceived tension in Morrissey that I had not seen before.
It was a Friday afternoon practice, the day after the Jets’ disappointing 3-2 loss to Buffalo. I’d asked Blake Wheeler if having 40 games or so of good game tape gave Winnipeg more confidence that it would get back to playing “the right way” than it had last season. Wheeler seemed to agree with the premise.
“I just don’t think last year we even had an identity of what it looked like. We’d win a couple games and that was great, but we didn’t know exactly why or what to go back to,” Wheeler said, before adding that this year’s Jets know who they are and what they need to do to be successful.
Morrissey spoke after Wheeler did. He would not have had this context. I was hoping for his insight on the same topic, so I asked him the same question.
“Is there an easier sense of confidence, knowing that for 40-odd games you played to your identify, maybe compared to last year where it was up and down a bit more?”
“Do you mean the last 10, we haven’t been good, in your view?” Morrissey asked.
“Probably since Vancouver, the win, I think (things) probably got away again in the Detroit game to now, is my view,” I said.
“OK. It’s a long year. We’re trying to build all the time and we’re trying to improve our game. As I said, we’re on a busy stretch of hockey. A lot of games, we’ve played a lot of hockey on the road and that’s where the lessons you learn now are going to make you a better team as you go forward. What’s nice is we’ve found ways to win games through that time when we haven’t had our best stuff. It’s just going to make us a better team going forward. We’d like to get back to our identity of aggressiveness, of confidence and of pace and that swagger that we want to be our key attributes.”

Later, when asked what lessons from throughout his career he might take to the Jets’ slide, Morrissey emphasized his confidence in his teammates.
“It feels like we’re sounding the alarm here a little bit. I don’t think that’s the case,” he said. “We have a great hockey team here and we believe in ourselves.”
Do you know what it felt like to hear Morrissey come to the defence of his team while pushing back against the critical comparison of last season?
I could feel Morrissey’s sense of pride, his protectiveness toward his teammates and his wisdom to change the scope of the conversation. Instead of focusing on a day, a week or even a two-week stretch of poor play, Morrissey spoke to Winnipeg’s identity and how he wanted his team to play moving forward. He didn’t sidestep the Jets’ struggles nor did he seem content with them. The moment felt tense, not in a combative way but in a way that highlighted the importance of getting the message right.
More directly: It felt like I was talking to the Jets’ captain.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
top-3 in pts, & in % of pts on team goals-for. he should comfortably getting some norris consideration. Easily top-5 since it's heavily points reliant. i think Karlsson, Dahlin and Fox are going to be the finalists, and then Morrissey in the 4-5 range. of course lots of season left.

but no doubt he's been utterly fantastic this year. after a terrible few years under the tutelage of maurice and huddy. he's been a complete difference-maker for us and one of their premier offensive dmen in the league. that goal the other night.... who couldn't feel the emotion off that? even though the stakes were no where near as high, from an emotions standpoint, kinda reminded me of trouba's PO goal in 17-18.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad