Player Discussion: Morrissey's quiet redemption

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
Bumping this as JoMo officially finished 5th in Norris voting. He garnered 3 first place votes.

Great season for him and hopefully he can follow it up with a similar campaign next year.

Good timely bump.

JMo carried the team for much of the season along with Helle, and paid for it with a bit of a slowdown on the run to the finish line, but it was a helluva season and hopefully we see a few more like it,

He was absolutely sublime for long stretches -- creative, lethal, unstoppable.

Let's effing JMo...

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
Listening the NHL Radio and they were mentioning that they talked to Morrissey who was saying he is 100% healthy and no ill effects from his season ending injury last playoffs.

Josh Morrissey '100 per cent ready to go' for new-look Winnipeg Jets | TSN

Great stuff. Looking forward to watching Josh N continue to develop -- definitely one of the brightest parts of last season, along with Helle and Samberg's fine play and Perfetti starting to break out as a 2-way threat before injuries.

What an electric season. Pick yer highlight.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
What I am hoping for from JoMo is for him to continue to drive offense while getting his defensive game tightened up a bit. I think he now has enough experience with the offense that he can maintain it while playing good d

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
That’s good to hear. We need Josh to maintain his level. Hoping that wasn’t just a career season.
agreed. both he and demelo had career seasons so far in terms of scoring at 5v5 or efficiency. 2 of the biggest year-to-year increases in the NHL among Dmen. i was looking this up for a different thread both of them surpassed their previous 3-year tally in 5v5 scoring this season.

our defense as a unit really turned it up offensively last year. the difference in goal-scoring contributions last years vs the previous few seasons were night and day.

defensively i think as long as he is with demelo they should be fine. keep Pionk off the top-pair unless they're really down in game and need to desperately push for offense.

Reactions: AlaskaJet and ps241

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
agreed. both he and demelo had career seasons so far in terms of scoring at 5v5 or efficiency. 2 of the biggest year-to-year increases in the NHL among Dmen. i was looking this up for a different thread both of them surpassed their previous 3-year tally in 5v5 scoring this season.

our defense as a unit really turned it up offensively last year. the difference in goal-scoring contributions last years vs the previous few seasons were night and day.

defensively i think as long as he is with demelo they should be fine. keep Pionk off the top-pair unless they're really down in game and need to desperately push for offense.

I like how Morrissey played but it also seemed like he was having one of those seasons, especially early where he was really feeling it. Not saying he can’t repeat but I have seen career scoring seasons before (like KC the season before) and that felt like it might be one for Josh.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
I like how Morrissey played but it also seemed like he was having one of those seasons, especially early where he was really feeling it. Not saying he can’t repeat but I have seen career scoring seasons before (like KC the season before) and that felt like it might be one for Josh.
Perhaps. His sh% doubled from 21-22 and 4x as high from 20-21. Not sure how sticky or repeatable that efficiency is, especially for Dmen. Connor on the other hand seemed to be largely driven on the SOG volume side.

This was one of the higher scoring seasons ever for Dmen at the top end. Id think if that trend sticks, Morrissey with his TOI, along with higher assertiveness offensively should be able to maintain some great point totals.

Montour similarly to Morrissey 2x his previous career high.... I wonder if Maurice gave him the same Bowness-type speech :sarcasm: :laugh:

enuffidiotsalready

Nov 25, 2019
well i hope he didn't tell the media that
1) he doesn't need coaching
2) is your future captain
3) will get big bronze statue right outside this door!

oh Paul

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Perhaps. His sh% doubled from 21-22 and 4x as high from 20-21. Not sure how sticky or repeatable that efficiency is, especially for Dmen. Connor on the other hand seemed to be largely driven on the SOG volume side.

This was one of the higher scoring seasons ever for Dmen at the top end. Id think if that trend sticks, Morrissey with his TOI, along with higher assertiveness offensively should be able to maintain some great point totals.

Montour similarly to Morrissey 2x his previous career high.... I wonder if Maurice gave him the same Bowness-type speech :sarcasm: :laugh:

The really odd one for me was Connor’s shooting volumes going up so much In 2021-22 (317 in 79 GP). By my eye test he looked like a different player that season much more than just his normal lethal scorer and not much else. I thought he looked like he played more assertive when he was with PLD but I have no numbers to back that up. They were a good 1-2 punch with usually not a great third wheel on that line. Then last season Kyle seemed to take a step back again taking almost 50 less shots in 3 more games played and he also suffered from his worst shooting %.

My hope is Kyle finds his way back to playing the game he played in 2021-22 and hopefully he takes about 310-320 shots this season on a better line away from 55 and his shooting % rebounds.

I fully get fluctuations in shooting % but that huge outlier in his shooting volume was a head scratcher.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
The really odd one for me was Connor’s shooting volumes going up so much In 2021-22 (317 in 79 GP). By my eye test he looked like a different player that season much more than just his normal lethal scorer and not much else. I thought he looked like he played more assertive when he was with PLD but I have no numbers to back that up. They were a good 1-2 punch with usually not a great third wheel on that line. Then last season Kyle seemed to take a step back again taking almost 50 less shots in 3 more games played and he also suffered from his worst shooting %.

My hope is Kyle finds his way back to playing the game he played in 2021-22 and hopefully he takes about 310-320 shots this season on a better line away from 55 and his shooting % rebounds.

I fully get fluctuations in shooting % but that huge outlier in his shooting volume was a head scratcher.
yeah and sometimes when the volume increases the efficiency goes down. 6 ENGs help too :laugh: (had only 1 in each of the shoulder years)

Reactions: ps241

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
yeah and sometimes when the volume increases the efficiency goes down. 6 ENGs help too :laugh: (had only 1 in each of the shoulder years)

There you go. That’s a good find.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad