Player Discussion: Morrissey's quiet redemption

SUX2BU

User of registers
Feb 6, 2018
Canada
Looping the clip... With every swipe of JoMo's stick, the pitch of the goal horn changes, and in my minds' eye reflects a rapid shift in impedance, lending a cartoonish quality to the entire debacle.

good; first bit of emotion from a Jet in the last 3 games

Reactions: sipowicz

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
Man, it's great to see Morrissey playing like a legitimate Norris candidate. That's huge for the team. Almost every team (Letang missed the 2017 playoffs) to win the Cup since the Jets came back (and probably before, that's just as far back as I went) had a legit 1D. We hadn't had one since Buff left but it appears we do now.

Cup winners since 2012:

2012 Kings: Drew Doughty
2013 Blackhawks: Duncan Keith
2014 Kings: Drew Doughty
2015 Blackhawks: Duncan Keith
2016 Penguins: Kris Letang
2017 Penguins: None (Letang was injured)
2018 Capitals: John Carlson
2019 Blues: Alex Pietrangelo
*2020 Lightning: Victor Hedman
**2021 Lightning: Victor Hedman
***2022 Avalanche: Cale Makar

*Asterisk Cup, COVID season.
**Asterisk Cup, $18 million over the cap plus COVID season.
***Asterisk Cup, Avalanche had an unsustainable run of good luck that we can't count on having (first two opponents missing their starting goalie, an unprecedented third round bye, and then playing the Bolts without Point)

Hope he keeps it up all year! :thumbu:

Reactions: RabidOne and GNP

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
has he sold his soul to the devil this offseason? he has been playing like josh NORRISsey recently.
I heard he bet a fiddle of gold against his soul because the devil said "I'm better than you."

Apparently this golden fiddle also helped him become even better at hockey.

• Haha
Reactions: buggs and UFO

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
I'll eat crow on this. I was one of those seriously considering that maybe the Jets should think about exposing Morrissey in the Seattle expansion draft and protect both Stanley and DeMelo... oof that take aged like sour milk left festering in a 30 degree hot July day.

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
This new Josh is unbelievable. He had been a player who always took the easy outlet pass, played the safe game and created no offense. This just isn't the same player. Reminds me of the Wheeler 180 degree turnaround 8 or 9 years back.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
This new Josh is unbelievable. He had been a player who always took the easy outlet pass, played the safe game and created no offense. This just isn't the same player. Reminds me of the Wheeler 180 degree turnaround 8 or 9 years back.

I always hoped there was another level to Josh’s game but when the other 5 D men left in the same off season and his dad got sick I was starting to think that ship had sailed. Really happy he is playing so well, our team really needs it.

Last edited:

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Not quiet anymore. He's firmly in the mix for the Norris with Karlsson, fox or dahlin.

I do think makar will have to turn it up immensely based off pure team necessity with all their injuries so i am expecting a push from him to start entering the discussion.

Well see how the rest of the season plays out.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

scelaton

Jul 5, 2012
Not quiet anymore. He's firmly in the mix for the Norris with Karlsson, fox or dahlin.

I do think makar will have to turn it up immensely based off pure team necessity with all their injuries so i am expecting a push from him to start entering the discussion.

Well see how the rest of the season plays out.
The nice part in comparison with those 3 is that Josh's AAV is $6.25M for 6 seasons (including this one), as compared to Karlsson's bloated 11.5M or Fox's 9.5M.
Dahlin is on a cap-friendly contract but only for another 2 years, at which point he will command a small fortune.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
The nice part in comparison with those 3 is that Josh's AAV is $6.25M for 6 seasons (including this one), as compared to Karlsson's bloated 11.5M or Fox's 9.5M.
Dahlin is on a cap-friendly contract but only for another 2 years, at which point he will command a small fortune.
yea for sure we're reaping the benefits. karlsson did sign his as an eligible-UFA, and id say at the time of signing both him and Fox had superior resumes comparatively so it's not all that surprising they got more money.

WolfgangPuck

May 12, 2012
I'll eat crow on this. I was one of those seriously considering that maybe the Jets should think about exposing Morrissey in the Seattle expansion draft and protect both Stanley and DeMelo... oof that take aged like sour milk left festering in a 30 degree hot July day.
I thought he was overrated and overpaid too
Prove me wrong Josh has turned it around this season. I’ve seen his impressive numbers in junior but didn’t think he could bring that offensive into the NHL

WpgSteve

Nov 5, 2018
That contract looked like an albatross two years ago. Glad to see him turn things around.

Reactions: Channelcat

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012

All part of Maurice/Huddy's master plan to hold him back so that he could be signed to an offerdable long term deal :sarcasm:

scelaton

Jul 5, 2012
yea for sure we're reaping the benefits. karlsson did sign his as an eligible-UFA, and id say at the time of signing both him and Fox had superior resumes comparatively so it's not all that surprising they got more money.
Yes, but that is the beauty of accurately projecting into the future, as the Jets did with both Scheifele and Morrissey prior to signing them to 8 year deals.

Morrissey actually signed a year in advance so the Jets had him for 9 years from the signing of the extension in 2019.

Signing players to long-term deals before they have broken out can be risky for GMs, but the rewards can be huge in a capped environment. Paying retail price for already-established stars in today's NHL is not a recipe for ultimate success.

WiscoJet

May 3, 2016
Couldn't be happier for Josh, one could say the young man had to go through a lot on the ice. Everything was on his shoulders after Trouba and Buff left. That was minuscule compared to what he went through and is still going through with the passing away of his dad. Really proud of him.

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
Interesting thread to skim through - really highlights how our coaching lost its was since the Vegas series

He was never as good as everyone hoped he would be, I only understood when Pionk came around and and he turned out to be so much smarter and better player. Morrisey is quite the average player in my opinion.
This one is especially nice

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Yes, but that is the beauty of accurately projecting into the future, as the Jets did with both Scheifele and Morrissey prior to signing them to 8 year deals.

Morrissey actually signed a year in advance so the Jets had him for 9 years from the signing of the extension in 2019.

Signing players to long-term deals before they have broken out can be risky for GMs, but the rewards can be huge in a capped environment. Paying retail price for already-established stars in today's NHL is not a recipe for ultimate success.
ok that's fine and all. all im saying is morrissey's stats, trophy-case compared to karlsson at the time of signing (and the fact he's ufa) and Fox's is pale in comparison. so those 2 would get paid more. karlsson and fox deserved to get paid at the time with norris wins or ppg (or close to) years. not sure what you mean by retail prices. ive never heard this term in NHL context. if it's high-$$$ for contracts, every team has this including cup ones (ie: Makar, and Rantanen making 9M+ last year, Landeskog's new deal at 7m, Erik Johnson making 6M on a contract he signed 7 years ago). players over-performing their contracts is nothing new when they sign as a younger RFA (staying with COL ex. last year: Mackinnon, toews, nichushkin)

Last edited:
Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad