Moritz Seider will win Calder Trophy and it's not even close. Period.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Weztex

Feb 6, 2006
Also, Caufield will likely never score much. He's too small. Teeny guy like him will be injured a lot in his career.
You also said that he wouldn't stick to the NHL...
...then that he would go 2nd round in a re-draft.
...then that Kotkaniemi was a better player.
...then that he had 10-15 goals potential.
...then that he was a streaky player.

Don't you ever get tired of being wrong and wrong again about the same player?

TheOtherOne

Jan 2, 2010
Seider was 35th in the league in average ice time playing over 23 minutes a game (all 82) and 9th in blocks on top of his 50 points. His impact on the game as a whole was greater than the rest of the field IMO.
We probably could have leaned on him for even more minutes too if we really wanted. But it was probably good that we didn't.

Reactions: golffuul

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
6th in league scoring since MSL came in, Seider should win because he was a dominant player for the year, but all this shows is you look at NHL.com at player stat lines and call yourself informed.

this is just flat out not true

he was 49th in points between February 9th and the end of the season which is what most people(even that tweet you posted) mean by "scoring" and even if you meant specifically goals he still wasn't 6th but tied with 5 other players for 9th

cjeagle

Jul 10, 2016
Chicago
It is not even close in HF boards voting. Seider is getting 86% of the vote for the Calder Trophy with other players getting only single digit votes percentage wise.

Reactions: Henkka

NoName

Bringer of Playoffs!
Nov 3, 2017
Regardless of which player you think is better, it is really weird that you posted their straight stats without acknowledging their environment (Rielly having significantly more defensive/offensive help than Seider) but brought it up in the next paragraph as another way to knock Seider.

Also, you brought up CF%/FF% but didn't think to include CF% rel/FF% rel? Seider is 4.3/4.6 while Rielly is 4.4/3.2, so it "not being particularly close" doesn't bear out if you are going by your own standards.
You have a boatload of stats in favour of Rielly, both traditional and advanced and very little in favour of Sieder. You have a guy who is a proven 1D on a top-4 team this season vs a rookie on a team going nowhere.
If you want to say that that Sieder right now is better then Rielly, you are free to do so, but that claim flies in the face of the actual evidence. No way around that.

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
Seider
Zegras
Bunting
Lundell
Raymond
Drysdale

Order changes everytime I think about it.

Last edited:

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
You have a boatload of stats in favour of Rielly, both traditional and advanced and very little in favour of Sieder. You have a guy who is a proven 1D on a top-4 team this season vs a rookie on a team going nowhere.
If you want to say that that Sieder right now is better then Rielly, you are free to do so, but that claim flies in the face of the actual evidence. No way around that.
Did you read my post at all?

NoName

Bringer of Playoffs!
Nov 3, 2017
Did you read my post at all?
Yes, you found one advanced stat that favours Sieder and another that slightly favours Rielly. You can add those two too all the others I previously posted that favour Rielly, and you get the end result that as of right now Rielly is clearly the better player.

So tell me what is your actual evidence that Sieder right now is a better player then Rielly aside from the fact that he plays on the team you cheer for? Because Rielly has all the scoring stats and most of the advanced stats in his favour as well as being the top defender on a really good team, so if you want to credibly claim Sieder is better right now, you have to have some real evidence to back that up.

ArGarBarGar

Sep 8, 2008
Yes, you found one advanced stat that favours Sieder and another that slightly favours Rielly. You can add those two too all the others I previously posted that favour Rielly, and you get the end result that as of right now Rielly is clearly the better player.

So tell me what is your actual evidence that Sieder right now is a better player then Rielly aside from the fact that he plays on the team you cheer for? Because Rielly has all the scoring stats and most of the advanced stats in his favour as well as being the top defender on a really good team, so if you want to credibly claim Sieder is better right now, you have to have some real evidence to back that up.
I never said Seider was the better player, I was contesting your argument that Rielly is better and that "it isn't even close". I provided statistics that actually included context like the strength of the team/opponent.

Your didn't address any of that. You just repeated the same post again in slightly different words.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
Seider was 35th in the league in average ice time playing over 23 minutes a game (all 82) and 9th in blocks on top of his 50 points. His impact on the game as a whole was greater than the rest of the field IMO.
I tend to agree - but TOI is a coaching decision and our coach was an idiot - so I can't put too much stock in that.

Lundell is the one guy who I think deserves consideration.

I don't see Raymond as a legit top 3-4 candidate.
GUys like Boldy, Jeannot, Drysdale, Zegras and Caufield all impressed me more.
Lot's of guys could have put up Ray-Ray's numbers with his line.

NoName

Bringer of Playoffs!
Nov 3, 2017
I never said Seider was the better player, I was contesting your argument that Rielly is better and that "it isn't even close". I provided statistics that actually included context like the strength of the team/opponent.

Your didn't address any of that. You just repeated the same post again in slightly different words.
You only provided two new advanced stats CF% and FF%, which I did address, but lets go over this all again and summarize the cases for both players. The stats you quoted: relCF% favors Rielly, relFF% favors Sieder. Straight Corsi%, Fenwick% both strongly favor Rielly. So Rielly has the edge in advanced stats.
Traditional scoring stats (goals, assists, points, =/-) all strongly favor Rielly: (10/58/68, +16) vs (7/43/50, -9) with Rielly logging 41 seconds ice time.

And lastly, again, Rielly is a proven 1D on a team that just put up 115 points. The Leafs aren't doing that without him anchoring their blue line. Seider is a rookie on a lottery team; he has a ton of potential, but he hasn't yet led his team to anything yet.

So yes, Rielly right now is pretty clearly better then Sieder. Could this change as Sieder develops? Absolutely. But for today Rielly is the better player.

ArGarBarGar

Sep 8, 2008
You only provided two new advanced stats CF% and FF%, which I did address, but lets go over this all again and summarize the cases for both players. The stats you quoted: relCF% favors Rielly, relFF% favors Sieder. Straight Corsi%, Fenwick% both strongly favor Rielly. So Rielly has the edge in advanced stats.
Traditional scoring stats (goals, assists, points, =/-) all strongly favor Rielly: (10/58/68, +16) vs (7/43/50, -9) with Rielly logging 41 seconds ice time.
I provided stats that put CF% and FF% into context. You attempted to use them by themselves to show that Rielly was "clearly better", but when actually accounting for context like the strength of linemates/opponents it was shown that your argument was incredibly flawed, in that based on your own standards they are roughly in a similar boat in terms of impact on possession.
And lastly, again, Rielly is a proven 1D on a team that just put up 115 points. The Leafs aren't doing that without him anchoring their blue line. Seider is a rookie on a lottery team; he has a ton of potential, but he hasn't yet led his team to anything yet.
Please explain to me why you think this argument is in any way reasonable or persuasive.
So yes, Rielly right now is pretty clearly better then Sieder. Could this change as Sieder develops? Absolutely. But for today Rielly is the better player.
I am still waiting for you to demonstrate the bolded.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009

You can’t seem to grasp that almost every stat you posted is heavily influenced on the team you play for?

Reactions: RedHawkDown

NoName

Bringer of Playoffs!
Nov 3, 2017
I provided stats that put CF% and FF% into context. You attempted to use them by themselves to show that Rielly was "clearly better", but when actually accounting for context like the strength of linemates/opponents it was shown that your argument was incredibly flawed, in that based on your own standards they are roughly in a similar boat in terms of impact on possession.

Please explain to me why you think this argument is in any way reasonable or persuasive.

I am still waiting for you to demonstrate the bolded.
This is getting silly, the evidence for Rielly being better then Sieder right now is what I have stated: better advanced stats, better traditional stats and those numbers actually translating to helping his team be successful, while he is playing one of the most important on-ice roles for siad team (ie. 1D). If you don’t want to acknowledge any of these obvious facts then I don’t know what else there is to say.

Last edited:

NoName

Bringer of Playoffs!
Nov 3, 2017
You can’t seem to grasp that almost every stat you posted is heavily influenced on the team you play for?
Look, there is one stat in the whole pile that has been bandied about so far that favours Sieder which is relative FF%. Literally every other stat favours Rielly. It is absurd to suggest that the stats don’t paint Rielly as the better player this season.

But hey, if relFF% is indeed the be all end all at least you can at least say that this means Dylan Larkin is a better player then Leon Draisaitl. Then again Anthony Mantha beats both these guys in relFF% this season. Guess the Wings accidentally lost a franchise superstar there.

Last edited:

ArGarBarGar

Sep 8, 2008
This is getting silly, the evidence for Rielly being better then Sieder right now is what I have stated: better advanced stats,
He has better raw CF% and FF% numbers, but when accounting for context those numbers show that they are both in a similar boat. I'm not saying it, as a matter of fact, I am using your own reasoning. I am also saying that the gap between the two isn't nearly as wide as you claim.
better traditional stats and those numbers actually translating to helping his team be successful, while he is playing one of the most important on-ice roles for siad team (ie. 1D).
When you take into account the teams they play for you understand that this argument is ridiculous.
If you don’t want to acknowledge any of these obvious facts then I don’t know what else there is to say.
I addressed them in my first post. Did you not read it?

Reactions: newfy

NoName

Bringer of Playoffs!
Nov 3, 2017
He has better raw CF% and FF% numbers, but when accounting for context those numbers show that they are both in a similar boat. I'm not saying it, as a matter of fact, I am using your own reasoning. I am also saying that the gap between the two isn't nearly as wide as you claim.

When you take into account the teams they play for you understand that this argument is ridiculous.

I addressed them in my first post. Did you not read it?
You seem to be willfully ignoring evidence. In almost every stat both traditional and advanced paint Rielly as better player right now then Sieder, but your method of "addressing" this so far has been to say that "well he is on a better team, thus all the statistical evidence that favors Rielly is invalid", while also ignoring the fact that Rielly being a very good defenceman is an essential reason the Leafs have been such a good team this year.

If you don't want to accept the evidence then that is fine, but the fact remains that I have a litany of evidence to back my argument and you do not.

ArGarBarGar

Sep 8, 2008
You seem to be willfully ignoring evidence. In almost every stat both traditional and advanced paint Rielly as better player right now then Sieder, but your method of "addressing" this so far has been to say that "well he is on a better team, thus all the statistical evidence that favors Rielly is invalid", while also ignoring the fact that Rielly being a very good defenceman is an essential reason the Leafs have been such a good team this year.

If you don't want to accept the evidence then that is fine, but the fact remains that I have a litany of evidence to back my argument and you do not.
It is clear after several posts you can’t even understand my position.

I am curious: how do you think Rielly performs if he played in Detroit this season instead of Seider? Do you think he has the same stat line? Does Detroit become a playoff team, or even as good as Toronto?

NoName

Bringer of Playoffs!
Nov 3, 2017
It is clear after several posts you can’t even understand my position.

I am curious: how do you think Rielly performs if he played in Detroit this season instead of Seider? Do you think he has the same stat line? Does Detroit become a playoff team, or even as good as Toronto?
It is clear after several posts that you are discounting the statistical evidence while also not offering anything of substance to actually refute it and back your counter-argument.

I will say this for Seider: He has had an impressive rookie season, especially as a defenceman given they generally take longer to become NHL ready and he would be a worthy Calder winner, if he does end up winning it. No, I don't think he was as good in his rookie season as one of the better veteran #1Ds and multiple sources of evidence back that up, but I don't want to dump on him either; almost no rookie defenders enter NHL and immediately play at that kind of level. I wouldn't be surprised if he develops into a franchise cornerstone caliber player.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad