Moritz Seider will win Calder Trophy and it's not even close. Period.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
Half the season is a small sample size? What would you define as a large sample size?
Larger than half a season of work off the heels of a coaching change.

For the record, I am not saying the coaching change is the only reason he succeeded, I am saying circumstances may change and his performance immediately after a coaching change may be flawed due to the team/system dynamics in play at that point in time.

Last edited:

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
Yes, the numbers from one portion of a single season seem to imply Caufield could do better. But that is an incredibly small sample size you are working with, there.

Not to mention Raymond is younger and he's not a one dimensional goalscorer. The guy is a legit playmaker and 2-way winger. I can see Raymond hitting 30g 50a 80pts in a season eventually. Zegras also looks like he will eventually become a point per game playmaking center. Who really knew about Sonny Milano outside of Anaheim before this year? Or how about Troy Terry? Their performances were lifted by playing with Zegras.

I don't think Caulfield is going to make that level of impact even if he hits 40 goals a season.

lwvs84

Jan 25, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
Not to mention Raymond is younger and he's not a one dimensional goalscorer. The guy is a legit playmaker and 2-way winger. I can see Raymond hitting 30g 50a 80pts in a season eventually. Zegras also looks like he will eventually become a point per game playmaking center. Who really knew about Sonny Milano outside of Anaheim before this year? Or how about Troy Terry? Their performances were lifted by playing with Zegras.

I don't think Caulfield is going to make that level of impact even if he hits 40 goals a season.

Terry and Zegras don't really play together except mid-line change. They had about 3 games together this season? They're even on different PP units. Zegras played mostly with Milano and Rakell, and rotating wings when one of the two are out. He may have played more games with Derek Grant/Buddy Robinson/Nic Deslaurier/Gerry Mayhew than Terry. Ducks fans can't wait to see what he can do with legitimate top 6 linemates.

Reactions: Leonardo87

Holymakinaw

May 22, 2007
Toronto
I still think Seider will win, I don't think Caufield will be nominated nor should he be based on half a year's performance part of being a player in this league is consistency. But I do think Caufield will end up a better scorer in the long term than the forwards who are nominated, and yes the numbers from the last half of the season bear that out.

Guess reading comprehension isn't your strong suit huh?

What's the point of even bringing his name up then?

As Chris Rock once noted "Talking about Caufield when discussing the Calder, is like me boycotting Rihanna's panties.........I wasn't invited."

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
Tw

That’s a loaded question. It’s hard for a defenceman to win the Calder, especially when 42% of his points come from the PP.

But...that's typically how high scoring players score. Guys at the top of NHL scoring usually have 30+% of their points with the man advantage.

Detroit scored 37 (!!!) powerplay goals and Seider was involved in 21 of them. The fact that Seider got a lot of powerplay points on a team whose powerplay was otherwise atrocious should not be held against him.

Colezuki

Apr 27, 2009
Toronto
What's the point of even bringing his name up then?

As Chris Rock once noted "Talking about Caufield when discussing the Calder, is like me boycotting Rihanna's panties.........I wasn't invited."
Because someone else did? Jesus christ [MOD], go back and follow the thread

Last edited by a moderator:

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
Tw

It’s hard for a defenceman to win the Calder, especially when 42% of his points come from the PP.

Edited because I am dumb
Gotcha.

The benefit for Seider in this instance is he provided solid offensive numbers as a defenseman, WHILE also taking on some of the toughest minutes in the league and playing exceptionally well defensively (room to grow for sure, but way ahead of most defenders his age).

Raymond had a solid offensive season, but he fell back considerably. Between him and Zegras I would take Zegras every time, and I think both don't quite reach the level of Seider for this season.

Gliff

Tank Commander
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Tennessee

Ummm not quite.

Terry was only with Zegras for a short part of the season. He only was when Getzlaf was out, and Terry's best stretch was early in the year when he was with Getzlaf.

Terry was the best player on his line all year, and the best player on the Ducks.
Both players were great for the Ducks, but largely did it on separate lines.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012

Anaheim didn’t even know about Milano… he started in AHL

For what it’s worth terry and zegras play very little together.

Zegras played with known superstars like Derek grant, deslauries, buddy Robinson, Gary Mayhew Milano and Rakell

Reactions: lwvs84

KingPuckChoo

Go kinGs Go !
Jun 24, 2007
I still think Seider will win, I don't think Caufield will be nominated nor should he be based on half a year's performance part of being a player in this league is consistency. But I do think Caufield will end up a better scorer in the long term than the forwards who are nominated, and yes the numbers from the last half of the season bear that out.

you seem angry man, don't worry your montreal media has overhyped him enough

a team will eventually give you Lemieux + Bourque + 1st + 1st + 1st + 1st + 50% retained for him

you can stop hyping now

Colezuki

Apr 27, 2009
Toronto
you seem angry man, don't worry your montreal media has overhyped him enough

a team will eventually give you Lemieux + Bourque + 1st + 1st + 1st + 1st + 50% retained for him

you can stop hyping now
It’s ok byfields about to breakout any moment now, same with turcotte

WF19

Nov 18, 2009
Sieder would not be the #1D in Toronto. He may well be the ROY, but their is no way he would be called on to have the responsibility of such a role on a 115 point playoff team. Morgan Rielly is “the clear number one dman” on the Leafs and that wouldn’t change if Sieder had magically switched teams to play for Toronto this season.
Sieder is probably already a top 10 d in the league. Reilly is not.

Tw

It’s hard for a defenceman to win the Calder, especially when 42% of his points come from the PP.

Edited because I am dumb
Like when Zetterberg stole the Calder from Johnson? Oh wait.

Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

KingPuckChoo

Go kinGs Go !
Jun 24, 2007
It’s ok byfields about to breakout any moment now, same with turcotte

we're literally in the playoffs
your team is literally 32nd overall
that's all that matters :)
thanks for Danault btw
hope you guys are enjoying Clague

you really need to take a course on dissing people lol

Reactions: WingsMJN2965

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
we're literally in the playoffs
your team is literally 32nd overall
that's all that matters :)
thanks for Danault btw
hope you guys are enjoying Clague

you really need to take a course on dissing people lol
Montreal fans are probably the last team that should be criticizing anybody on drafting centers in the top 5 and busting them, anyways.

KK and Galchy say hi.

Panthaz89

Buffalo Sabres, Carolina Panthers fan
Dec 24, 2016
Buffalo,NY

you are defending a guy who got sent down for bad play in the middle of the season lmao.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
I bet you didn't watch a single game of the habs all season outside of when the kings played them, and I bet that your baseless speculation above is not based on any reality but your own pontification to feel intelligent, newsflash all it reveals is that your knowledge of Hockey is limited to your own team.

To even prove it whose game on our team took the biggest jump from last year to this year even with Ducharme? What we're the stylistic differences in our team play? Why did Caufields play not immediately improve under MSL but instead took a couple games to ramp up? When Ducharme took over did we even improve from Julien? Why we're we able to turn it on so strongly in the playoffs? I bet you can't answer a single one of those points. Instead you've speculated throughout based on narratives you read on HF and presented your opinion as a fact.

Fact - Ducharme era the conversation was that Caufield belonged in the AHL, and that the habs rushed him, MSL era he is the 6th ranked scorer in the league in the last half (ish) of the season and is fine where he is.

I still think Seider will win, I don't think Caufield will be nominated nor should he be based on half a year's performance part of being a player in this league is consistency. But i do think Caufield will end up a better scorer in the long term than the forwards who are nominated, and yes the numbers from the last half of the season bear that out.

Cool I can play this game too

Caufield = 23 goals in 67 games
Trevor Zegras = 23 Goals in 75 games
Raymond = 23 goals in 82 games
Bunting = 23 goals in 79 games
Now do assists

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad