Morgan Rielly

NarcoPolo

Jul 16, 2012
Left with Left has been an issue.

Granberg is a stay at home, capable of playing well under pressure in big games.

Haven't seen Granberg play so I can't really comment, but rielly is more than capable of playing on the right side.

Beleafer4

Apr 4, 2010
Well, outside of the leafs + the media, a lot of people were able to tell that rielly's rookie season wasn't all too special last year just by using the eyeball test. And yes he didn't show anything last year that was 1D worthy.

The reason I think he is 1D worthy is because what I saw in juniors. He has a skillset that he kept hidden last year, and that's his amazing puck control. Last year the puck was always on and off his stick which is good, but also a 'safe' way of playing the game. The day Rielly feels confident to free-wheel with the puck, you will see something special. This is because rielly is *REALLY* good at drawing multiple defenders to him and then dishing it to the open man. He will create a LOT of scoring chances.

And yes, I know randy gave rielly "the green light" last season, but its hard for rielly to ignore all the **** his roomie gardiner received for trying to move the puck up himself, so he took the safe route and stayed back instead. And when gardiner was finally being appreciated for his ability to lead the rush, rielly slowly began to take more and more risks.

Despite what the leafs try to make us believe, rielly never struck me as mr confident (just as nylander doesn't strike me as modest). So rielly will probably take a bit longer than others to come around, but when he does- oh man.

Point being, Im willing to wait.

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
Long term, I see him being outstanding, a #1 dman. Short term, I see him showing flashes of brilliance mixed with lots of rookie-esque issues (mistakes in the defensive zone, mistakes on the breakout, weak shot, etc.). This season I see him continuing to play primarily on the bottom pairing, but that doesn't take away from my long term optimism about his game at all.

I expect us to go with something like:

Phaneuf - Robidas
Gardiner - Polak
Rielly - Granberg

Jul 10, 2003
KW
Long term, I see him being outstanding, a #1 dman. Short term, I see him showing flashes of brilliance mixed with lots of rookie-esque issues (mistakes in the defensive zone, mistakes on the breakout, weak shot, etc.). This season I see him continuing to play primarily on the bottom pairing, but that doesn't take away from my long term optimism about his game at all.

I expect us to go with something like:

Phaneuf - Robidas
Gardiner - Polak
Rielly - Granberg

Can't see Carlyle partnering Rielly with a rookie...

Jul 10, 2003
KW
I definitely see an ideal partner for morgan. Stu Percy. Both think the game at high levels and Percy is very good at calming things down in the dzone, projects to be more of a stay at home cerebral type. Only thing he really needs to work on is getting quicker, stronger, and more physical in front of the net. Obviously this would be a couple more years down the road.

He's a lefty, plus he doesn't have the offense to play with Rielly. Somebody with a big point shot is needed here.

dimi78

Aug 9, 2008
Well, outside of the leafs + the media, a lot of people were able to tell that rielly's rookie season wasn't all too special last year just by using the eyeball test. And yes he didn't show anything last year that was 1D worthy.

The reason I think he is 1D worthy is because what I saw in juniors. He has a skillset that he kept hidden last year, and that's his amazing puck control. Last year the puck was always on and off his stick which is good, but also a 'safe' way of playing the game. The day Rielly feels confident to free-wheel with the puck, you will see something special. This is because rielly is *REALLY* good at drawing multiple defenders to him and then dishing it to the open man. He will create a LOT of scoring chances.

And yes, I know randy gave rielly "the green light" last season, but its hard for rielly to ignore all the **** his roomie gardiner received for trying to move the puck up himself, so he took the safe route and stayed back instead. And when gardiner was finally being appreciated for his ability to lead the rush, rielly slowly began to take more and more risks.

Despite what the leafs try to make us believe, rielly never struck me as mr confident (just as nylander doesn't strike me as modest). So rielly will probably take a bit longer than others to come around, but when he does- oh man.

Point being, Im willing to wait.

Just about all the issues both Gardiner and Rielly have is on Carlyle's stupidity in how he uses PMD.... Many don't see it or don't understand what their watching in the x's & o's of the team game Carlyle had for this team that flat out parks the bus of the puck moving ability of PMD. He has breaks on them handling the puck limiting them to only joining the rush not carrying the puck. This single handedly is why his teams keep getting worst in puck possession, struggle with predictable breakouts and get a lot of icings do to missed stretch passes. Meanwhile the rest of the league those lucky enough that have pure PMD take advantage of this skill set to drive their teams offensively. PMD in the ilk of Rielly & Gardiner if allowed are a nightmare to forcheck and if used right your team will enjoy playing more in the offensive zone than they do playing defense for 60 minutes like the Leafs do with Carlyle. These guys have the ability to slip checks like it's nobodies business and Carlyle doesn't use these traits that it would give an air of unpredictability in the break out causing the oppositions D men to think twice holding the offensive blue line giving that extra second in space for the winger in tipping the puck out of the zone for that famous safe off the glass and out play to work. When there's no threat of having the puck skated out what's to stop the opposition D from holding the blue line or their forwards to relentlessly check you in your own damn zone?

Stupid! Stupid! Stupid!

#FreeJakeGardiner & MorganRielly

Atomos2

Jun 28, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
I know a lot of people are complaining because Rielly doesn't use a big shot from the point, but its not like he doesn't know how to take a slapshot.

He just needs to get used to using it.

7even

Offered and lost
Feb 1, 2012
North Carolina
He's a lefty, plus he doesn't have the offense to play with Rielly. Somebody with a big point shot is needed here.

I disagree. I don't think his defense partner matters so much offensively, as he almost always works more with the forwards/off the rush anyways.

Actually I think Gardiner would make a pretty good pairing, in the future. Those two can play catch with the puck all day long.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
I disagree. I don't think his defense partner matters so much offensively, as he almost always works more with the forwards/off the rush anyways.

Actually I think Gardiner would make a pretty good pairing, in the future. Those two can play catch with the puck all day long.

Maybe they could employ a 1-2-2

Bozak-Kessel
Gardiner-Rielly
Polak

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I am going to go against the norm here.

Rielly's ideal defence partner next season or one day will be Petter Granberg.

Infact I see Rielly, Granberg, and Percy as being our best D men one day on this team.

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
I know a lot of people are complaining because Rielly doesn't use a big shot from the point, but its not like he doesn't know how to take a slapshot.

He just needs to get used to using it.

Of course he knows how to take a slapper, but in general, when he does, it comes off at pretty low power (compared to most NHL offensive dmen). Being a real threat with your point shot is all about being able to consistently get off a very hard, fairly accurate slapper - Rielly isn't there yet. This is definitely something he can work on with time, but you look at the slappers from the top offensive dmen in the league (Karlsson, Subban, Chara, Weber, Doughty, OEL, Phaneuf, Letang, Mike Green, etc.), they have WAY better shots. Rielly's slapper right now is Kaberle-esque, improving on this will be key towards Rielly developing into a better offensive dman, and being a guy you really want out there on the PP.

Jacquestrapless

Jun 5, 2011
Mississauga

Infact I see Rielly, Granberg, and Percy as being our best D men one day on this team.

Why stop there? I could potentially see half our pairings having swedes on them.:naughty:

Jul 10, 2003
KW

It's helps to have some kind of point shot presence from your top pairing imho. Rielly himself doesn't have that, but he does have an incredible feed, just needs a worthy recipient.

TieClark

Jun 14, 2011
Of course he knows how to take a slapper, but in general, when he does, it comes off at pretty low power (compared to most NHL offensive dmen). Being a real threat with your point shot is all about being able to consistently get off a very hard, fairly accurate slapper - Rielly isn't there yet. This is definitely something he can work on with time, but you look at the slappers from the top offensive dmen in the league (Karlsson, Subban, Chara, Weber, Doughty, OEL, Phaneuf, Letang, Mike Green, etc.), they have WAY better shots. Rielly's slapper right now is Kaberle-esque, improving on this will be key towards Rielly developing into a better offensive dman, and being a guy you really want out there on the PP.

Karlsson's slap shot really isn't that good. He scores with his wrister more often than not

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
Karlsson's slap shot really isn't that good. He scores with his wrister more often than not
His slapper is fantastic, very hard and very accurate. He has a great wrister too, but that doesn't take anything away from his excellent slapper.

Community

44 is Rielly good
Oct 30, 2010
The Darkest Timeline

I definitely think Finn will be better than both Percy and Granberg... Finn seems to have more natural upside.

EastVan

Jun 25, 2014

I want to share your optimism on Granberg.

How is he projected to max out potential wise?

I guess you never know until the player starts getting minutes.

Didn't Jake Muzzin surprise people in LA?

snizzbone*

Rielly just needs to continue working on his shot. Gardiner's shot was terrible before last year, but he spent the summer taking something like 1000 shots a day, and now hes got a pretty good one.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad