Morgan Rielly

Bardown warrior

Oct 26, 2013
Mississauga
Looks like Morgan will be asked, like alot of our young guns, to play bigger role this upcoming season. With that being said, what do you guys think the ceiling is with this kid? He had a decent rookie year, but do you think he could eventually become a top 2 defender in this league and eventually be groomed to play alongside phaneuf? Certainly seems like he will imo.

Thoughts?

mikebel111*

A lot of talent and also very mature for his age
Potential no 1 IMO in a couple years

Community

44 is Rielly good
Oct 30, 2010
The Darkest Timeline
Looks like Morgan will be asked, like alot of our young guns, to play bigger role this upcoming season. With that being said, what do you guys think the ceiling is with this kid? He had a decent rookie year, but do you think he could eventually become a top 2 defender in this league and eventually be groomed to play alongside phaneuf? Certainly seems like he will imo.

Thoughts?

I am very confident that Rielly will be a top pairing defenseman in the league. He has all the tools, a good frame, and a great work ethic... Barring injuries, he's got all the tools and drive to be a good #1 Dman.

Edit: As for the other part of your question, he'll likely play 2nd pairing EVS and PP time (not sure if 1st or 2nd).

Gardiner - Phaneuf
Rielly - Polak/Robidas
XXXX - Polak/Robidas

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
Scrub. He's been an AHLer from teh second we drafted him. Might as well trade him for a bag of used pucks.

Just kidding. I see a top pairing Yandle type ceiling.

Phaneuffan3

Beleafer
Aug 22, 2011
The HC - Ontario
I am very confident that Rielly will be a top pairing defenseman in the league. He has all the tools, a good frame, and a great work ethic... Barring injuries, he's got all the tools and drive to be a good #1 Dman.

Edit: As for the other part of your question, he'll likely play 2nd pairing EVS and PP time (not sure if 1st or 2nd).

Gardiner - Phaneuf
Rielly - Polak/Robidas
XXXX - Polak/Robidas

From a recent Nonis interview it looks like they are hoping to fill that #6 role with Granberg or Percy. I also agree with your thoughts on MR, he has all the skill to become a top pairing dman. He also seems to have a really good head on his shoulders, pretty mature for a 20 year old.

To the OP, I think MR should see some time on the top pairing if hes playing well just so he can get a feel for it but it would also be a nice tool to see where hes at. He simply may not be ready for the top pairing...yet.

I am also a lot more confident 5v5 in our zone with Rielly as opposed to Gards

Pholus

May 23, 2014

Thoughts?

Imo he's being groomed to replace Phaneuf, not pair with him. By the time he starts hitting his prime Phaneuf will be 34-35, and probably not a top pair dman anymore (hopefully after the Leafs trade him for picks ;))

Community

44 is Rielly good
Oct 30, 2010
The Darkest Timeline
I'd also like for him to play in all situations. Is he moving back to the left side now?

Yep.... Even if Phaneuf moves back to the left, Rielly will still play on the left (I believe Phaneuf stays on the right side though). We have one LHDman that prefers the right side (Phaneuf) as well as 3 RHD (Polak, Robidas, and Granberg).

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
He has the skills, the hockey IQ, and the head on his shoulders to potentially become our best player. Hopefully he can pull it all together.

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
Seriously, if Gardiner ever gets his head truly wrapped around the NHL game, he and Rielly may end up amongst the best 1/2 punch in the league

both of them have superior skating and puck-handling skills, Gardiner will probably be the better of two at offense, but Rielly still hasn't hasn't shown the shot a whole bunch yet so that may change

either way I think they both are capable of 12/38 type of seasons with a pretty good chance of more if the Leafs continue to play the run and gun type of offense

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
I'm really looking forward to seeing how Rielly continues to develop. This was a good first year for him considering he had partners like Franson hanging him out to dry at every opportunity.

Definitely has a high ceiling and hope he can keep working to getting to it. Looks like with the guys coming in he can be partnered with a more reliable defensive guy which should let him push things a little. Not that it was a bad thing for him since he does have the speed to make up for mistakes he might make.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Don't want to put pressure on him by saying this, but if the Leafs have any hope of growing by leaps and bounds this decade, Morgan Rielly will have to be one of the two or three main horses dragging us up the standings. Can't afford to have him stagnate, regress and struggle in the years to come.

Just for giggles:

Player A had a rookie year of

81 GP 6 G 21 A 27 PTS -17 23:49 TOI

Player B had a rookie year of

73 GP 2 G 25 A 27 PTS -14 17:25 TOI

Not going to name names, but if Player B can have a sophomore season even remotely like Player A, we'll be pretty happy in here.

7even

Offered and lost
Feb 1, 2012
North Carolina
Reasonably projects as a top offensive defenseman. Whether he becomes that rare top pairing guy depends on his ability to either improve his defensive game (and defensive growth is notoriously hard to predict), or perfect an elite puck possession game, a la Erik Karlsson.

HarryLime

Jun 27, 2014
Halifax
I'm very excited to see him play and develop.

Hoping and praying he isn't Luke Schenn 2.0. Of course they play totally different games and styles I just mean I'm hoping he doesn't frustrate me constantly and bust.

LeafsTop6

Jan 9, 2009
Markham
Don't want to put pressure on him by saying this, but if the Leafs have any hope of growing by leaps and bounds this decade, Morgan Rielly will have to be one of the two or three main horses dragging us up the standings. Can't afford to have him stagnate, regress and struggle in the years to come.

Just for giggles:

Player A had a rookie year of

81 GP 6 G 21 A 27 PTS -17 23:49 TOI

Player B had a rookie year of

73 GP 2 G 25 A 27 PTS -14 17:25 TOI

Not going to name names, but if Player B can have a sophomore season even remotely like Player A, we'll be pretty happy in here.

Drew doughty

Ace88*

Rielly is one of those players who i think wont have that sophomore slump. He picked it up big time in the second half of last season and i expect him to pick right up from where he left off. 5g, 35a isnt out of the question if you ask me. As long as the d pairings are stable enough that hes comfortable with whoever hes playi g with i think hes gonna become our 2/3 guy pretty quick.

Teeder9

Free rent for Mo?
Oct 14, 2011
Ontario
Rielly is one of those players who i think wont have that sophomore slump. He picked it up big time in the second half of last season and i expect him to pick right up from where he left off. 5g, 35a isnt out of the question if you ask me. As long as the d pairings are stable enough that hes comfortable with whoever hes playi g with i think hes gonna become our 2/3 guy pretty quick.

I agree. Too smooth and too smart to get bogged down for long. His sophomore slump might only be Carlyle's coaching

Atomos2

Jun 28, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Reasonably projects as a top offensive defenseman. Whether he becomes that rare top pairing guy depends on his ability to either improve his defensive game (and defensive growth is notoriously hard to predict), or perfect an elite puck possession game, a la Erik Karlsson.

He needs better role models. From what I've heard, he looks up to Phaneuf, Letang and Karlsson. That's not gonna help anyone with their defensive game.

I hope so. Gardiner has always had pretty good second halves but is usually slow out of the gate. But Rielly isn't Gardiner so that'll probably will be different. He needs to shoot more though.

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010
There's going to be a season where everything just clicks with Rielly and he's going to be a two-way 40-50 point beast. I don't think it's going to be next season, but it's coming. As long as he doesn't take a step back this season I'll be happy. The kid is going to be in the McDonaugh/Ekman-Larsson/Pietrangelo conversation one day.

Green Snow Storm

Jul 22, 2009
Canada
I've never had as much confidence in a prospect of ours as I have in Rielly. I've learned to be cautious with our prospects in projecting them into future roles, but I have no reservations that Rielly will be a top pairing defenceman. Probably a #1.

KrisLetAngry

MrJukeBoy
Dec 20, 2013
Saskatchewan
Scrub. He's been an AHLer from teh second we drafted him. Might as well trade him for a bag of used pucks.

Just kidding. I see a top pairing Yandle type ceiling.

I agree trade him while the rest of the league us fooled by his potential and youth !!!

Oh this is awkward you were just kidding..

TheLeafsBro

Mar 14, 2014
London, ON
Rielly - Robidas will be an awesome pairing! I'm just worried about Gardiner - Phaneuf as our top pairing. We don't have to worry about Rielly though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad