Speculation: Morgan Rielly discussion - Time to Trade Rielly?

NinjaKick

life as a leafs fan
Dec 5, 2018
Toronto
all I know is that we can't lose MO for nothing... gotta either resign him or trade him.. either way Dubas has to work some magic

Reactions: hullsy47

Super Mega

Jun 29, 2013
This team isn't competing for a cup or a playoff series.

You don't rent a valuable player like Rielly during that time. Either you are planning to extend him and move someone else out or you move him - its that simple

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
all I know is that we can't lose MO for nothing... gotta either resign him or trade him.. either way Dubas has to work some magic
I’ve read it multiple times in here, resign means , quit.
Re-sign, means sign a new contract, in this case.

Reactions: frizzer1

BigGulpsEh

Feb 20, 2017
I think trading him is the best option. I don't think he worth anything more than 6m aav on a longterm deal.

He will walk and want more money so trade and get some assets back

Gotta shake up the core and rielly isn't part of the solution to take this team to the next level

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Montreal wasn't a contender last year. Anything can happen if you get into the playoffs. Getting into the playoffs this year with Rielly is better than without. If Rielly leaves next year for the big bucks, so be it.
WRONG Habs always had a contending playoff team last year .. their issue was purely getting enough points in regular season to make playoffs .. 2 completely different issues

Reactions: Pebble live

Hitemwith4

Jul 1, 2019
Its time to trade him but he's playing so bad i don't know what kind of return leafs would get

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Its time to trade him but he's playing so bad i don't know what kind of return leafs would get

We're not watching the same games at all if he's been bad. I feel like he's playing like his usual self. He's not dominating or anything like that but he's been by far our best defenseman and has been very good. The whole team sucking does make it feel like he's not playing well.

Reactions: Buds17

Pebble live

Oct 17, 2021
We're not watching the same games at all if he's been bad. I feel like he's playing like his usual self. He's not dominating or anything like that but he's been by far our best defenseman and has been very good. The whole team sucking does make it feel like he's not playing well.

I have a hard time putting his play above Brodie. Brodie has been our most steady guy back there for awhile. My problems with Mo are numerous. No shot from the blue line, can't or just won't play physical. He's at best a top 4 dman and we're going to end up giving him top 2 money if he stays around.

It's time for him to go. This organization can't afford to just let him walk though.

Last edited:

daveleaf

#FIREKEEFE #MIGHTBETIMETOFIRESHANNYTOO
Mar 23, 2010
Canada
The idea of Dubas trading our longest tenure dman and asset churns my stomach-I think he is useless. We still have our first rounder this year?

horner

May 22, 2007
I think trading him is the best option. I don't think he worth anything more than 6m aav on a longterm deal.

He will walk and want more money so trade and get some assets back

Gotta shake up the core and rielly isn't part of the solution to take this team to the next level
For 8 or 9 mil we can sign two dman , Muzzin seems to have lost a step and Holl isn't great .
What iam saying is our d needs to be rebuilt.
Our d as it sits won't win us a playoff round .

yubbers

Grown Menzez
May 1, 2013
So we move him and have no number 2 or 1. Now we have to find two guys, how do we do that?

I agree with ACC, he is a fine #2. Problem is not Morgan, problem is the system this team employs, the coach and the GM. Get rid of them and watch how sucessful we can become.
Marner for Doughty with LA retaining 3mil. Age tax

frizzer1

Oct 19, 2013
They absolutely cannot let him leave as a free agent.
They can’t be that stupid.

frizzer1

Oct 19, 2013
They will probably give up a first round pick to get rid of muzzin’s contract so that they can re sign Rielly.

mapleleaf979

Jan 14, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
I have a hard time putting his play above Brodie. Brodie has been our most steady guy back there for awhile. My problems with Mo are numerous. No shot from the blue line, can't or just won't play physical. He's at best a top 4 dman and we're going to end up giving him top 2 money if he stays around.

It's time for him to go. This organization can't afford to just let him walk though.

Agreed. Brodie and Muzzin are more reliable than Reilly. Reilly has a few rushes a game, that seem to wow this board into thinking how great he is. Reilly more often than not has no idea what to do. A #1 offensive guy he is suppose to be, should be able to run the PP. Reilly cant run the PP based on 1 thing, hockey IQ. He is so hesitant to shoot and is very predictable with is passing on the PP. Sandin is a wild card to the defense when he runs the PP, they cant read him and he creates chaos. Reilly is a very very soft Dman who doesnt want to endure any punishment.

Reactions: Puckstuff

ANDI P IS CUTE

Oct 7, 2009
Windsor On
this team wont win anything let alone make the playoffs this year or next, blow it up- serious. Marners gotta go. Def nuts to think we will not win one round with this core lmao.

Reactions: horner

Nylanderthal

Jun 9, 2010
Rielly is getting 7M+ after this. If we trade him, we get some assets but forget any chance of having a playoff run. The asset mismanagement by Dubas is insanely bad, worst I've ever seen.
If Reillys aav starts with a $7 his increase is covered by the projected $1m increase and kessel’s 1.2 coming off the books. If he’s looking for a number that starts with 8 or more you have to consider if he’s worth tying up that much cap long term in a guy who’s struggled to lead PP1. You can find a replacement for Reilly for $7-7.5 next year when you need to do that. Rght now, you’re gonna be hard pressed to trade him, and be able to fill his minutes while staying competitive and do so for $5m expiring while gaining any sort of meaningful assets.

SoftDumpNtheCorner88

Jul 5, 2020
I'd trade him once he starts raising his trade value... What sucks is we don't have the GM with balls to do it.

Reilly has been horse shit this season so far and isn't a game changer in the playoffs for us at any point into he past. Wait till he gets going again and trade him at his highest value this season, Muzzin and Holl have also been horse shit, but I'm hoping they come back around and maybe the trade of Reilly sparks them. Give Lilly or Sandin a shot in that number 1 spot (might as well sink or swim) just for the remainder of the season and then figure that spot out in the off season.

Reilly won't ever be a game changing dman for us, enough with the "he'll be our own rental" and out of respect we play it out crap that's gotten this team nowhere before. 17years of embarrassment, shake it up. Worst case scenario we still suck in the playoffs and Reilly wins somewhere else.. won't matter because we already know he can't do it here so what's the point?

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
I’ll be happy once he’s gone.
I’ll be happy for Rielly. He’s one of the most under appreciated players to play in this market that I’ve ever seen. People slag him for what he isn’t rather than laud him for what he is. It’s so unfortunate.

Would be great to see him land in a better situation and flourish.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad