Speculation: Morgan Rielly discussion - Time to Trade Rielly?

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
We don't have the money for him.

He's an Own Rental

It's clear as day

We have 12M in cap space going into next season with only Campbell to really re-sign. We do have the money, but it would take a little juggling. The cap is going up too I think... We don't know how much though.

Rielly has been a warrior and by far one of our best defenseman for a long time. He's had ups and downs but he always puts his head down and generally he's been really good for awhile. Regardless if you think Rielly is a "#1" defenseman or not, at the end of the day, I completely agree that the Leafs need to sign him or trade him before the trade deadline. This is very important.

Reactions: PROUD PAPA

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
I really dont think people have to panic on players like Reilly, Muzzin and Holl. Neither of the 3 are going to be a number 1 but all 3 have value to the Leafs if they play to their potential. Personally I see Muzzin as the one that isnt playing up to par and bringing the pairing value with Holl down. Holl is playing the same game as last season but Muzzin is not.

And I dont know if it is me but the defense is pinching alot more this season, all of them. I think this in itself has cause way too many odd man rushes, penalties taken, which has cause more harm than good. Not sure if this is a change in philosophy by Keefe but it isnt working. They need to go back to their play last season on the backend.

Apex Predator

Jun 21, 2019
We have 12M in cap space going into next season with only Campbell to really re-sign. We do have the money, but it would take a little juggling. The cap is going up too I think... We don't know how much though.

Rielly has been a warrior and by far one of our best defenseman for a long time. He's had ups and downs but he always puts his head down and generally he's been really good for awhile. Regardless if you think Rielly is a "#1" defenseman or not, at the end of the day, I completely agree that the Leafs need to sign him or trade him before the trade deadline. This is very important.

12 million in cap space to resign Campbell and either resign or replace Rielly. If we keep the core 4 intact I don’t know how we improve the team. That’s not much cap space.
We could trade Muzzin but with the way he’s playing he’s going to make it hard on us.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
12 million in cap space to resign Campbell and either resign or replace Rielly. If we keep the core 4 intact I don’t know how we improve the team. That’s not much cap space.
We could trade Muzzin but with the way he’s playing he’s going to make it hard on us.

I didn't say we had a ton of cap... just that we had it.

Teams make trades all the time, a lot of times it's for cap reasons. So yeah... That's what they will likely do regardless of an extension or not for Rielly. The Leafs have a lot of options to clear cap space or to make sideways move to open up cap space.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005

We do know how much cap goes up, it’s a fixed number.
If the league goes over a certain revenue number (in MOU) then cap will go up 1 million.

Reactions: SprDaVE

Apex Predator

Jun 21, 2019
I didn't say we had a ton of cap... just that we had it.

Teams make trades all the time for cap reasons. So yeah... That's what they will likely do regardless of an extension or not for Rielly. The Leafs have a lot of options to clear cap space or to make sideways move to open up cap space.

I don’t think they have as much as you think. It’s either Muzzin or Kerfoot in my opinion and both are looking like we have to add a sweetener. We only have 3 draft picks this year so we would have to use prospects as sweeteners. Muzzin has time to turn it around but Kefoot is looking like he has zero or negative value.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009

12m in cap space with only 14 players signed . i believe they've said the cap is going up by 1m so 13m for at least 6 players , 4m to Campbell and lets say 7m to Rielly if he'll even sign for that and it leaves only 2m for 4 players which isn't enough even at league min

and we're running out of lower end guys to replace with league min players to free up cap to sign our free agents

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I don’t think they have as much as you think. It’s either Muzzin or Kerfoot in my opinion and both are looking like we have to add a sweetener. We only have 3 draft picks this year so we would have to use prospects as sweeteners. Muzzin has time to turn it around but Kefoot is looking like he has zero or negative value.

We really wouldn't need a sweetener for Kerfoot or a Muzzin trade at all. Plenty of teams would likely give a couple picks for 1 year of Kerfoot, especially teams looking to contend. Muzzin is more or less staying but if he is ever traded, I'd be shocked if there wasn't the majority of the NHL lining up to acquire him despite his really tough start this year. I think you're underestimating your teams own assets.

Reactions: geo25

meefer

Jun 9, 2015
Bangkok
Unless they are able to find a player they can plug in to play 23+ minutes per night, and 25+ in the playoffs, the team needs to find a way to sign Rielly. Muzz is slowing down, Dermott hasn’t the confidence of the coaches, and Sandin is not ready with skating and size concerns that could limit his ceiling.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
12m in cap space with only 14 players signed . i believe they've said the cap is going up by 1m so 13m for at least 6 players , 4m to Campbell and lets say 7m to Rielly if he'll even sign for that and it leaves only 2m for 4 players which isn't enough even at league min

and we're running out of lower end guys to replace with league min players to free up cap to sign our free agents

There are so many avenues the Leafs can take to shed probably around 7M in cap space and promote within or sign cheaper alternatives. Kerfoot and Ritchie. Both on 1 year contracts, both likely with moderate value for teams looking to content and load up with mid line players. Push that further and dangle Justin Holl or Peter Mrazek maybe. Leafs could turn around and trade Mitch Marner or William Nylander even. Who the hell knows. There is no immovable contracts on the Leafs right now outside of maaaaybe Tavares.

Re-signing Sandin, Liljegren, Engvall and probably Kase won't be too hard. Spezza likely around the same price. There is probably Amirov coming over, Robertson might be ready to go, Ho-Sang might be on a min league deal etc etc.

Like I said, it'll take some juggling in the off-season, which is typical for a lot of teams that spend a lot of money. Teams make trades all the time.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
We really wouldn't need a sweetener for Kerfoot or a Muzzin trade at all. Plenty of teams would likely give a couple picks for 1 year of Kerfoot, especially teams looking to contend. Muzzin is more or less staying but if he is ever traded, I'd be shocked if there wasn't the majority of the NHL lining up to acquire him despite his really tough start this year. I think you're underestimating your teams own assets.
no one's taking Kerfoot just like no one wanted him the last 2 off seasons we're tried to trade him and if Muzzin doesn't pick it up people will laugh at us if we tried to shop him

Reactions: hudster

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
no one's taking Kerfoot just like no one wanted him the last 2 off seasons we're tried to trade him and if Muzzin doesn't pick it up people will laugh at us if we tried to shop him

A team would easily give up a draft pick for him. The Leafs valued him more than just a draft pick though. If you believe Kerfoot is the worst player in the entire NHL, there's a team that'd give up a career AHLer for him and thus, cap space.

That's the thing. People always assume no one wants our players or no one wants to make trades with us. We always suck and our players always suck. We can't possibly make a trade... what we have is what we have and that's it.

Last edited:

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
There are so many avenues the Leafs can take to shed probably around 7M in cap space and promote within or sign cheaper alternatives. Kerfoot and Ritchie. Both on 1 year contracts, both likely with moderate value for teams looking to content and load up with mid line players. Push that further and dangle Justin Holl or Peter Mrazek maybe. Leafs could turn around and trade Mitch Marner or William Nylander even. Who the hell knows. There is no immovable contracts on the Leafs right now outside of maaaaybe Tavares.

Re-sign Sandin, Liljegren, Engvall and probably Kase won't be too hard. Spezza likely around the same price. There is probably Amirov coming over, Robertson might be ready to go, Ho-Sang might be on a min league deal etc etc.

Like I said, it'll take some juggling in the off-season, which is typical for a lot of teams that spend a lot of money. Teams make trades all the time.
why the hell would anyone take our trash ?

it's all well and good to try to be positive but Ritchie ''moderate value'' ? if Dubas could terminate his contract he'd be gone in a heartbeat , lol

and sure lets trade Mrazek because they'll be lining up to get a meh goalie making almost 4m who can't stay healthy

we have 1 move to actually improve this team and that's to get JT to waive his nmc and then drop to our knees and pray there's a team out there that'll take him even if it's just for futures

A team would easily give up a draft pick for him. The Leafs valued him more than just a draft pick though. If you believe Kerfoot is the worst player in the entire NHL, there's a team that'd give up a career AHLer for him and thus, cap space.

That's the thing. People always assume no one wants our players or no one wants to make trades with us. We always suck and our players always suck. We can't possibly make a trade... what we have is what we have and that's it.
i believe i can get a better player than Kerfoot for 3.5m in free agency

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: geo25

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
1 million increase or stays the same as today.

Edit: found it
upload_2021-10-28_9-52-42.png

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
why the hell would anyone take our trash ?

it's all well and good to try to be positive but Ritchie ''moderate value'' ? if Dubas could terminate his contract he'd be gone in a heartbeat , lol

and sure lets trade Mrazek because they'll be lining up to get a meh goalie making almost 4m who can't stay healthy

we have 1 move to actually improve this team and that's to get JT to waive his nmc and then drop to our knees and pray there's a team out there that'll take him even if it's just for futures

Everyone sucks. I forgot. There are countless of trades in the NHL that happen every year, crap players are traded all the time, but the Leafs won't be able to trade any of their players I guess. They all suck so much and everything sucks. C'est la vie as they say.

justashadowof

Aug 15, 2020
Multiple times in the past I've pointed out that the entire point of assembling your NHL team is to win the Stanley Cup not to maximize asset management. So every time the Leafs have been playoff locks I've argued to add not subtract talent regardless of the contract status of its players. Well, this time is different: this group isn't a playoff lock and I have zero faith that this group has what it takes to win 4 consecutive playoff series. And this will still apply if this team somehow manages to get stuff together and gets on a 100 point pace.

So, yes, now is the time to start shopping Rielly. It'll be a regression but this team isn't a serious Cup contender.

Value in November? Rielly with 50% retained is easily an unprotected 1st, a 1st if re-signed (otherwise a 2nd), a top prospect and an NHL level defenseman.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
Everyone sucks. I forgot. There are countless of trades in the NHL that happen every year but the Leafs won't be able to trade any of their players I guess. C'est la vie as they say.
many of our players do suck , that's why they signed for peanuts as ufa's

Holl and Muzzin have looked like shit and if they don't pick it up we'll just trade them for picks because um ah the rest of the league's GM's are looking to do us a favor , lol . How realistic does that sound ?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad