Speculation: Morgan Rielly discussion - Time to Trade Rielly?

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
And as in so many things, if it were a LL led office, we'd feel secure in the silence.

Maybe Dubas has Pridham crunching cap numbers to see how he could overpay Rielly and move out some more depth from the lineup...after all, Dubas likes to tell people that it's up to him to fill around the margins...:sarcasm:

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
Maybe Dubas has Pridham crunching cap numbers to see how he could overpay Rielly and move out some more depth from the lineup...:sarcasm:
Dubie doesn't overpay anyone , if he gives Rielly 9m he'll just get one of the company insiders to float a rumor a team or teams offered him 10m plus so he can spin it like he got him to take a discount , lol .

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I love Rielly...he's my favourite Leaf...I think he is quite easily the Leafs' best defenceman and the team would be even more screwed without him.

However, he's playing like a shell of his former self right now. He can't QB the PP. His shot is a muffin (at least Kaberle had a seeing-eye wrister). He has never nor will ever develop an overly physical game. He is what he is at this point.

Then again, seeing a guy like Jones last night who has always been highly touted but too has regressed, I don't think Rielly is on an island here. We just see him more than all the other players out there.

It's not going to be easy one way or another. I'd love to keep Rielly until he retires but he also probably deserves his piece of the pie and I'm a little skeptical of him being worth it long-term.

ITM

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe...
Jan 26, 2012
Maybe Dubas has Pridham crunching cap numbers to see how he could overpay Rielly and move out some more depth from the lineup...:sarcasm:

I'm not so sure we're worried about overpaying players as many teams do. The anchor is is allocating dollars for three players that should be allocated for one in an ideal situation and two at best.

Besides, I think that market has moved on, hasn't it?

I don't think Reilly will be overpaid and as such I have doubts he remains in Toronto. Ekholm would be a nice comparison. But as with Hyman, it may be that a million more a year and a different location, say, home? will be too attractive to pass up now that he's given all he can at the proverbial "office".

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
You simply have to trade Morgan, unless you feel this a legit cup contender, which it clearly isn’t. Retool now, we don’t have to tear it down but you’ve got to free cap space and get some picks to turn into players.

Unfortunately the current GM seems to believe that things are going to turn around and that this team is a legitimate contender. He's betting his career on it.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Does Shanny have authority and trust of board to trade Rielly? If they can't get a deal done then lets get some assets and snappy. Longer year goes on da harder it will be to trade him for reasonable return.

Reactions: geo25

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
You simply have to trade Morgan, unless you feel this a legit cup contender, which it clearly isn’t. Retool now, we don’t have to tear it down but you’ve got to free cap space and get some picks to turn into players.

100% this, Rielly just never developed into that #1D we hopes very good player but just not going to be a player who will justify the salary he is likely to ask for. And where we are with the cap, its a contract we just cant do for a non elite player

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
100% this, Rielly just never developed into that #1D we hopes very good player but just not going to be a player who will justify the salary he is likely to ask for. And where we are with the cap, its a contract we just cant do for a non elite player
We gave 11M to JT another non-elite player. Rielly will be the better player than JT for the next half-decade

9M I'd walk away from but I'd definitely extend him at 7.5M up to 8M and quickly deal the corpse of Jake Muzzin while he has some value left

Reactions: daveleaf

daveleaf

#FIREKEEFE #MIGHTBETIMETOFIRESHANNYTOO
Mar 23, 2010
Canada
So we move him and have no number 2 or 1. Now we have to find two guys, how do we do that?

I agree with ACC, he is a fine #2. Problem is not Morgan, problem is the system this team employs, the coach and the GM. Get rid of them and watch how sucessful we can become.

Apex Predator

Jun 21, 2019
So we move him and have no number 2 or 1. Now we have to find two guys, how do we do that?

I agree with ACC, he is a fine #2. Problem is not Morgan, problem is the system this team employs, the coach and the GM. Get rid of them and watch how sucessful we can become.

Do you think we should resign him and then trade a core 4?

Reactions: daveleaf

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
We gave 11M to JT another non-elite player. Rielly will be the better player than JT for the next half-decade

9M I'd walk away from but I'd definitely extend him at 7.5M up to 8M and quickly deal the corpse of Jake Muzzin while he has some value left

i highly doubt he signs for anything less than $9M which is my assumption in making the post oyu quoted. $8m you can make work. JT is an entirely different situation, was an elite player and not far removed from it and scored 48 goals with us which is elite. Rielly has never had an elite season let alone a period where he was considered elite. Also the hometown star coming home in FA angle shouldnt count but fanbase has been begging for that to happen for decades now

edit: 47 goals before the pendants get on my case

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
i highly doubt he signs for anything less than $9M which is my assumption in making the post oyu quoted. $8m you can make work. JT is an entirely different situation, was an elite player and not far removed from it and scored 48 goals with us which is elite. Rielly has never had an elite season let alone a period where he was considered elite. Also the hometown star coming home in FA angle shouldnt count but fanbase has been begging for that to happen for decades now
I don't see Rielly getting the equivalent of 9M from anyone on the market personally.

That will be 8 years 72M. To get that on a 7 year UFA deal he'd be making 10+ on his next deal, and I don't see any team crazy enough to offer that much for him. Rielly is a good 1D, a 15-25 1D, and not an elite one, but still the best d-man on the leafs, and a very valuable player.

If some team is offering him 7 years by 63M all the leafs need to do to beat the offer is give 8 years 64. We give more total cash, and no doubt with the leafs financial muscles he'll get a shit load of signing bonuses + the endorsement opportunities in GTA and an NMC

Leafs should bring him back at 8x8 as I don't see him getting more than 63M at maximum on the market, and more likley it will be closer to 56M (8M UFA salary) so think we could get a 8 year 60M deal (7.5M)

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
I don't see Rielly getting the equivalent of 9M from anyone on the market personally.

That will be 8 years 72M. To get that on a 7 year UFA deal he'd be making 10+ on his next deal, and I don't see any team crazy enough to offer that much for him. Rielly is a good 1D, a 15-25 1D, and not an elite one, but still the best d-man on the leafs, and a very valuable player.

If some team is offering him 7 years by 63M all the leafs need to do to beat the offer is give 8 years 64. We give more total cash, and no doubt with the leafs financial muscles he'll get a shit load of signing bonuses + the endorsement opportunities in GTA and an NMC

Leafs should bring him back at 8x8 as I don't see him getting more than 63M at maximum on the market, and more likley it will be closer to 56M (8M UFA salary) so think we could get a 8 year 60M deal (7.5M)

He's got zero chance to get $9m per from the Leafs. If he gets 9 on the open market, that makes it $63m. If he really wants to be here and gives us a $3m discount, than makes it 8x7,5, 8x8m gives him 64m which is probably his best bet if he wants to be a Leaf and Leafs want him.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto

Dont underestimate the NHL when it comes to dmen. Rielly is a good dman there will be a team out there who will offer him $9M i just sincerely hope we arent that team and arent willing to match. WE cant pay Rielly elite Dman money becasue we have no one better thats how you start building up a cache of overpaid players you cant move in the future. If he is willing to take his value (very good #2 good #1 dman) money sure but that's pushing it if its $8M

Mar 26, 2010
The writing is on the wall, Rielly is leaving Toronto. If I have to guess where he ends up, it will be Edmonton.

The best play here is to trade him now. Dubas will end up doing the exact same thing he did with Hyman and get nothing for him.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Unless we are out of it by the trade deadline then we might get something nice.
Yes but at that point he will only get a 2022 1st rounder .. I'd like to see us get that plus a ELC defender with promise and a prospect at C who was just drafted .. we need to start maximizing value .. this is not a Cup contending team .. it is a team hoping for a wildcard spot

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Yes but at that point he will only get a 2022 1st rounder .. I'd like to see us get that plus a ELC defender with promise and a prospect at C who was just drafted .. we need to start maximizing value .. this is not a Cup contending team .. it is a team hoping for a wildcard spot

you are dreaming if you think Rielly is worth all that. I may be misunderstanding your values here but what you are essentially hoping for is 2 1sts and a 2nd for Rielly, never going to happen id be stocked with a 1st and a good D prospect

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
you are dreaming if you think Rielly is worth all that. I may be misunderstanding your values here but what you are essentially hoping for is 2 1sts and a 2nd for Rielly, never going to happen id be stocked with a 1st and a good D prospect
Disagree a supposed Team Canada defenseman only gets a 1st and a D prospect???????? I think a C prospect too. But we can agree to disagree. Rielly can fly and defense who can fly are very very few and far between. He can also play a little defense too even if not great.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008

Just take a look at recent top defenseman that were traded with short-term term left, I think you'll see that they are not just given away. Unless that prospect is VERY good, like a blue chip prospect, this is very not good.

Last edited:
Reactions: JT AM da real deal

leafsfan5

Jun 14, 2014
I love Rielly and wanted him as our captain a few years ago, but it's time to move on

We're not contenders so a self rental is useless. Deal him and begin the re-tool. Like others have said though, Dubas is in survival mode so I doubt he'll throw in the towel

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

Terrible GM

Jul 10, 2013
Maritimes
I love Rielly and wanted him as our captain a few years ago, but it's time to move on

We're not contenders so a self rental is useless. Deal him and begin the re-tool. Like others have said though, Dubas is in survival mode so I doubt he'll throw in the towel

Montreal wasn't a contender last year. Anything can happen if you get into the playoffs. Getting into the playoffs this year with Rielly is better than without. If Rielly leaves next year for the big bucks, so be it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad