Speculation: Morgan Rielly discussion - Time to Trade Rielly?

AvroArrow

Fire Keefe
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
If Reillys aav starts with a $7 his increase is covered by the projected $1m increase and kessel’s 1.2 coming off the books. If he’s looking for a number that starts with 8 or more you have to consider if he’s worth tying up that much cap long term in a guy who’s struggled to lead PP1. You can find a replacement for Reilly for $7-7.5 next year when you need to do that. Rght now, you’re gonna be hard pressed to trade him, and be able to fill his minutes while staying competitive and do so for $5m expiring while gaining any sort of meaningful assets.

Soupy is also going to be up for an extension, if he maintains this level of play he's getting at least 4M as well. But I agree, if it's 8+ that he's looking for, we need to move on from him.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
He's got zero chance to get $9m per from the Leafs. If he gets 9 on the open market, that makes it $63m. If he really wants to be here and gives us a $3m discount, than makes it 8x7,5, 8x8m gives him 64m which is probably his best bet if he wants to be a Leaf and Leafs want him.

Not a bad guess on my part I see. Good to see the kid wants to be a Leaf and is willing to take a discount to get it done. Well done by both sides.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
good timing bud. glad to have MO back... I actually think he took a little discount. he woulda got 8.5 at least on the market imo
ya didn't expect it today but figured it would be any time now.
He gets the extra year here so it's about the same total value, no?

NinjaKick

life as a leafs fan
Dec 5, 2018
Toronto
ya didn't expect it today but figured it would be any time now.
He gets the extra year here so it's about the same total value, no?
I think even if we didn't get that extra year, Mo still would have gotten at least 1 or 2 million more on his deal as a FA.
that said, the extra year is a bonus to me. it's nice to have MO as a career Leaf. Dubas did well here.

cannucky

Aug 18, 2011
Sounds like the perfect time to trade him to me , we might even get a defenseman that can actually play some D instead of taking it .

Reactions: geo25

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Sounds like the perfect time to trade him to me , we might even get a defenseman that can actually play some D instead of taking it .

1.) this would never happen. We aren’t Vegas
2.) his NMC covers this year

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
Everyone sucks. I forgot. There are countless of trades in the NHL that happen every year, crap players are traded all the time, but the Leafs won't be able to trade any of their players I guess. They all suck so much and everything sucks. C'est la vie as they say.
Geepers did you not read the thread Leafs players have ZERO value

I just love that ZERO value idea, the irony just drips off of it.

Reactions: SprDaVE

Thornbury

Dec 29, 2019
The writing is on the wall, Rielly is leaving Toronto. If I have to guess where he ends up, it will be Edmonton.

The best play here is to trade him now. Dubas will end up doing the exact same thing he did with Hyman and get nothing for him.
Oops

geo25

Sep 28, 2017
Yup. I will own it lol. :laugh:

Glad Mo signed and took a discount!
REILLY aint worth that money on an 8 year deal. Terrible defensively, muffin shot, soft as butter, million dollar legs & 10 cent brain. Another nail in the Leafs coffin. When you dont learn from History you're doomed to repeat it. We need new mgmt starting from the President on down. IF, And a big IF, we make the playoffs, this team will not win a round......I'm retired and miss the teams of the 60's~90's...they were likeable, had an identity and were proud of the uniform. Today's team pales in comparison...

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
REILLY aint worth that money on an 8 year deal. Terrible defensively, muffin shot, soft as butter, million dollar legs & 10 cent brain. Another nail in the Leafs coffin. When you dont learn from History you're doomed to repeat it. We need new mgmt starting from the President on down. IF, And a big IF, we make the playoffs, this team will not win a round......I'm retired and miss the teams of the 60's~90's...they were likeable, had an identity and were proud of the uniform. Today's team pales in comparison...

FFS why didn't you call Dubious on Monday and let him know. As the GM this is the kind of stuff he needs to know! Had you been on the ball, you could of saved the Bud's from this embarrassment in the making. Conn is rolling in his grave.

geo25

Sep 28, 2017
FFS why didn't you call Dubious on Monday and let him know. As the GM this is the kind of stuff he needs to know! Had you been on the ball, you could of saved the Bud's from this embarrassment in the making. Conn is rolling in his grave.

griffon1

Feb 14, 2018
Adrift at sea

I did call and leave a message. He got back to me and said unfortunately there were 4,567 from wannabe GMs so he was totally confused until he got to mine, but by then it was too late, she's come undon.

Reactions: therealkoho

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Overpaid who?
It's simple, and applies to anyone.

If you don't think he's overpaid, it's not the time to trade him.

If you think he's overpaid, then he should have been traded before that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad