Morgan Rielly Appreciation Thread.

Albus Dumbledore

Master of Death
Mar 28, 2015
TOI is a bad argument, like really bad.
Hedman from 2013-2016(3 year period), had low end 1d mins at 22-23 mins a game, yet was top 10 in norris 2/3 times would have been 3/3 if he didnt miss time in one of those seasons. He was a undisputed 1d then just like Mo is now. Now Hedman did lead in ice-time tbf but it wasnt by much similar to how Mo isnt leading in ice time but it isnt much of a difference either way.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
You come off as very antagonistic here, I wonder why.

"Rielly can not force his coach to play him more."

This makes no sense. Watch the games, we desperately need defensive stability. If Rielly provided the legit defensive stability needed, he would be played more. Babcock is a complete moron with the forward lines but he's very savvy with deployment our defense with the limited resources provided to him. If playing Rielly more would solve some issues, it would have been done.
So you are complaint about me speaking the truth. Rielly is our best D man on both sides of the puck. Saying otherwise is in my opinion is wrong.

So in your opinion Babcock only makes poor choices on the offensive side of the puck and not the defensive side of the puck when he played Gardiner more minutes then any D man in game 7 against Boston when Gardiner was beyond bad that game. Proof positive beyond a doubt that his decision about ice time is questionable on both sides of the puck. I believe Rielly will see an increase in ice time as this season goes on as he simply put is heads and shoulders above every other D man on our Team defensively.

Reactions: kb

Polaris1010

Mar 23, 2017
grandma's cellar
So, everything on the table: Do you consider Rielly a true elite #1D?
Morgan Rielly is Phil Housley, the same player for different generations.

Neither is the go to guy for the big penalty kill or empty net when closing out a game.

There was an empty net tonight, I think I remember 22 and 2 on the ice.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Well ok then. How come Rielly doesn't get tasked with more minutes, specifically on the PK? Babcock is a safety-first coach, you know this.
his idea of safety isn't exactly normal though. that's why he loves Hainsey, Polak, Gardiner, and Zaitsev so much even though none of those guys are very steady. I don't know why Babcock doesn't play Rielly and Dermott more, but he doesn't. He also liked playing Komarov more than Marner even while he was bleeding chances against

Reactions: ToMaLe

hector morrison

Apr 1, 2018
Well ok then. How come Rielly doesn't get tasked with more minutes, specifically on the PK? Babcock is a safety-first coach, you know this.
Why do you want him on the PK ? Who cares,it's maybe too taxing,could affect his quality of play. It's not as if the Pk was terrible last year. Why mess with a good thing? He is offensive elite,heading into his prime on an offensive juggernaut of a team.Likely gonna set a Leaf record!

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
You come off as very antagonistic here, I wonder why.

"Rielly can not force his coach to play him more."

This makes no sense. Watch the games, we desperately need defensive stability. If Rielly provided the legit defensive stability needed, he would be played more. Babcock is a complete moron with the forward lines but he's very savvy with deployment our defense with the limited resources provided to him. If playing Rielly more would solve some issues, it would have been done.

Just like playing Matthews more on the PP would have solved issues (as this year has proven early) but was never done.

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton
Offensively he might already be top 10 in the league. But let's be honest, defensively he's not even the best on our team. I see the opponents getting grade A scoring chances in the slot very often. Also he's second on the team in TOI.

If you put Pitrengaelo or OEL with Hainsey how much better would it be?

Phion Keneuf

Bang Bang
Jul 4, 2010
Offensively he might already be top 10 in the league. But let's be honest, defensively he's not even the best on our team. I see the opponents getting grade A scoring chances in the slot very often. Also he's second on the team in TOI.

Defensively he’s definitely the best on our team.

Rielly
Zaitsev
Dermott

kb

Aug 28, 2009
Just stop with the minutes argument. It's asinine. Why didn't Matthews play 21-23 minutes every game like other #1C's last year? Is he weak defensively?

The TOI BS has to stop.

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
Here it is: Rielly's a terrific D-man. But let's discuss things a little further than one would read in the appreciation thread.

Now we all know Rielly's offensive game is top-notch, but let's look at the other aspects. When you look at the true elite #1D in the league, the minutes played is obviously where we see the biggest discrepancy between them and Rielly. He was 65th in ice-time last year with 21:10 ATOI.

Rielly does not play the PK as much as other #1D's and he doesn't provide the same steady element they do either in the form of playing big minutes. Rielly drastically outperforms the majority of them offensively, but defensively it really is another story.

Now if Rielly truly is an elite #1D, why is our coaching staff not icing him for 25+ minutes a game when we're having a rough night and the other team has us under siege? The truth is, Rielly cannot bring the same defensive element that a guy like Pietrangelo, Doughty, Keith, Chara or that lesser names like Hjalmarrson (of old), Slavin, Morrisey, McDonagh, Orlov, etc...

Rielly is 24 years old. Last year he was 23. He too has been tasked with development plans. All in good time.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016

I wonder if OEL is even considered very good if he plays on the Leafs. Guy has a cush existence. He hies in the desert and never wins anything and gets zero criticism all all acclaim.

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
Want the x factor? Rielly plays less so that we don't burn out Hainesy.
Rielly just happens to Be the partner.

If Rielly played with a legit partner, his toi would go up significantly

Reactions: Ziggdiezan

Skin Tape Session

Oct 7, 2017
Morgan Rielly is Phil Housley, the same player for different generations.

Neither is the go to guy for the big penalty kill or empty net when closing out a game.

There was an empty net tonight, I think I remember 22 and 2 on the ice.

Phil hously was a good freakin Hockey p!ayer, ill take that. Speaking of the jets tavares reminds me a lot of hawerchuck.a lot

Hogan86

Jun 21, 2016
Here it is: Rielly's a terrific D-man. But let's discuss things a little further than one would read in the appreciation thread.

Now we all know Rielly's offensive game is top-notch, but let's look at the other aspects. When you look at the true elite #1D in the league, the minutes played is obviously where we see the biggest discrepancy between them and Rielly. He was 65th in ice-time last year with 21:10 ATOI.

Rielly does not play the PK as much as other #1D's and he doesn't provide the same steady element they do either in the form of playing big minutes. Rielly drastically outperforms the majority of them offensively, but defensively it really is another story.

Now if Rielly truly is an elite #1D, why is our coaching staff not icing him for 25+ minutes a game when we're having a rough night and the other team has us under siege? The truth is, Rielly cannot bring the same defensive element that a guy like Pietrangelo, Doughty, Keith, Chara or that lesser names like Hjalmarrson (of old), Slavin, Morrisey, McDonagh, Orlov, etc...

We have a young, smooth skating, offensive defensemen, who us putting up historical numbers and breaking records, but we still have to complain about his shortcomings. No one ever really expected Rielly to be a shutdown defenseman. Do we need one? Sure. But do we have to debate whether Rielly is a true #1 elite dman? No because there are only a handful in the whole league.

I'm starting to jump in board with other fanbases, and despise Leafs fans. Heck I probably dislike more Leafs fans than any other fan base, yet I love the buds. We just got to stop complaining and overanalyzing. About EVERYTHING.

Reactions: kb

Voodoo Child

Jun 16, 2009
The points make the D.

If Morgan Rielly gets 70 points, yes he is an elite number one D, and right now he's a good one.

He's 24 years old, and what's the common agade that D usually peak from 27-32?

I have confidence that he can learn how to efficiently PK within the next 3 years.

But...

He does need some help back there.

Keith had Seabrook and Hjalmarsson.

Doughty has one of the best defensive centers ever and a very solid Martinez-Greene-Muzzin-Voynov group when they last won.

There will never be another Z. Hedman is another extreme physical outlier.

Petro and Slavin are good but they haven't won a damn thing.

I think Jake is probably gone, because Rielly has distanced himself that much. We can't pay our second best LD 5.5 at least when we need to pay the boys, and we have Dermott who could probably fill a similar role (#2 LHD), Sandin in the pipes and Borgman and Rosen on the cusp.

On RD we're stuck with Zaitsev but while I don't like the term (who does?), if he can pull it together and be a second pair right D, which I think he can, its market value with term.

Then there's Liljegren who is a year to a year and a half from making the team but also 4-5 years from being a finished product, and that's what makes him exciting.

I think Morgan can lead a D corps, but I think he could certainly use a good lieutenant.

BAM

Nov 21, 2016
Because he has guys like Hainsey, Zaitsev and last year Polak to put on the pk. It's been top 10 the past few years, why change that and risk your best defensemen getting hurt blocking a shot or something? I'd rather have a pk unit that can be top 10 without our best defensemen so that when the pk is over Rielly is the first d-man on the ice.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad