Confirmed with Link: Morgan: Coyotes, Tocchet agree to part ways

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
I like MVR but I think his resume is a little light. No NHL head coaching experience. His CHL and AHL tenures have been very short too. 1 year in Tucson and the only players remaining from that season are Bunting, Crouse, Capo, Garland, Pederson, Hill.

Re: Tocchet. Too many connections to Seattle IMO with not only Francis but Botterill too. If Seattle hires Tocchet that definitely gives us a few more options.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
I’d love to hire Boudreau or Gallant. I really don’t think we’re going that route. I think if we’re guessing who it’ll actually be, the list will look something like this as a top 10 candidates list (no particular order):

Jay Varady
Cory Stillman
Mike Van Ryn
Todd Nelson
Lane Lambert
Kris Knoblauch
Mike Vellucci
Rocky Thompson
Derek Laxdal
Manny Viveiros
I think OHL guys might get bonus points with BA. So maybe Stillman, MVR, Knoblauch, Vellucci, and Rocky Thompson from that list.

rt

May 13, 2004
Todd Nelson is cool because every team he played on for a full season made the playoffs. He won the Calder Cup as an AHL player, too.

Then, every team he was a head coach for a full season made the playoffs. He was two UHL championships as a HC and one AHL championship as a HC and one NHL championship appearance as an AC.

He’s got a smidge of NHL HC experience, too. Oilers players and fans all liked him and thought he got f***ed over when he didn’t get the job.

Kris Knoblauch is interesting because he won a championship as an HC in the WHL and the OHL and the WJC. And has NHL HC experience and AHL HC experience (successful).
---
Mike Vellucci has a super interesting resume. Won a couple of OHL titles and an AHL title as HC. Almost all of his teams made playoffs. He’s only got 1yr of NHL coaching experience and it’s as an AC. But the crazy thing is he’s been President, GM, AGM, and director of Hockey Ops at various levels including OHL, AHL, and NHL.

Guy just has such a crazy unique resume. So much experience doing so many things at so many levels. And tons fo success.

He really reminds me kind of as the Bill Armstrong of coaching. Right down to being a big mean OHL defenseman who used to rack up shit tons of PIMs.
---
Derek Laxdal has an ECHL championship as HC, two WHL championships as HC, and one NHL championship appearance as AC.

Last edited:
Reactions: Matias Maccete

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
From Morgan:

Corey Schwab and assistants Cory Stillman and Jay Varady are also on expiring contracts. Assistant Phil Housley has one more year remaining on his contract.

I assume new HC decides on Housley.

I’m surprised Stillman left Sudbury for a one-year deal.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I like MVR but I think his resume is a little light. No NHL head coaching experience. His CHL and AHL tenures have been very short too. 1 year in Tucson and the only players remaining from that season are Bunting, Crouse, Capo, Garland, Pederson, Hill.

Re: Tocchet. Too many connections to Seattle IMO with not only Francis but Botterill too. If Seattle hires Tocchet that definitely gives us a few more options.
You look at the teams who won the Stanley Cup the last twenty years and I don't think you will find a rookie nhl coach in the bunch. There's a reason for this. It's hard to win in the NHL and it's even harder to be a good NHL coach. I expect us to go on the cheap here and pick a younger coach, but if I'm the owner I would instruct my GM to get the best guy for the job. It might cost more upfront but will more than make up for it over the long haul. I want stability from ownership all the way down to the coaches. Nothing is guaranteed, but I pick the guy that gives me the best chance to win, and not going on a hope and a prayer like the last four years.

AZviaNJ

“Sure as shit want to F*** Coyote fans.”
Mar 31, 2011
AZ
From Morgan:

Corey Schwab and assistants Cory Stillman and Jay Varady are also on expiring contracts. Assistant Phil Housley has one more year remaining on his contract.

I assume new HC decides on Housley.

I’m surprised Stillman left Sudbury for a one-year deal.
his son left Sudbury...wonder if that was part of the reason.

rt

May 13, 2004
Mike Vellucci has a super interesting resume. Won a couple of OHL titles and an AHL title as HC. Almost all of his teams made playoffs. He’s only got 1yr of NHL coaching experience and it’s as an AC. But the crazy thing is he’s been President, GM, AGM, and director of Hockey Ops at various levels including OHL, AHL, and NHL.

Guy just has such a crazy unique resume. So much experience doing so many things at so many levels. And tons fo success.

He really reminds me kind of as the Bill Armstrong of coaching. Right down to being a big mean OHL defenseman who used to rack up shit tons of PIMs.
---
Derek Laxdal has an ECHL championship (and two other finals appearances) as HC, two WHL championships (and another finals appearance) as HC, and one NHL championship appearance as AC.

Last edited:
Reactions: BigJCaRoach

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
This is going to be a very exciting offseason. On par with the year Tippett was cut and Chayka made his big moves. I'm hoping we go for a younger coach over one of the expensive guys out there. I really like MVR, but there are obviously some concerns. Would be ecstatic to get him as an assistant too.

Leaman wasn't on my radar but xx has managed to put him near the top of my want list.

Nelson is still near the top too. Nelson with MVR and Leaman could be an exciting brain think, although I don't want to just give Varady the boot. I think Stillman would be excellent in Tucson.

Reactions: MayDayMayDay

Muppet

7th Round Pick
Mar 13, 2011
Knew it was coming, but god damn it feels good to actually see it.

Tocc needs to go back to being a top tier assistant coach, but somebody will make a dick of themselves and hire him as HC. Good f***ing luck to whoever that is.

rt

May 13, 2004
If I had to whittle it down, I'd guess the top five (realistic) candidates that I can think of right now (off the top of the head) would be (in no particular order):

-Mike Van Ryn
-Todd Nelson
-Mike Vellucci
-Kris Knoblauch
-Derek Laxdal

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
@rt

Housley is still under contract for one more year.

Tocchet is not the only Coyotes coach whose contract is up after this season. Sources said that goalie coach Corey Schwab and assistants Cory Stillman and Jay Varady are also on expiring contracts. Assistant Phil Housley has one more year remaining on his contract.

rt

May 13, 2004
If I had to whittle it down, I'd guess the top five (realistic) candidates that I can think of right now (off the top of the head) would be (in no particular order):

-Mike Van Ryn
-Todd Nelson
-Mike Vellucci
-Kris Knoblauch
-Derek Laxdal

Guys who WAAAY overkicked their coverage under Laxdal in EDM:

1. Michael St. Croix - Was an ELITE WHL player and became a 4th round NHL pick. He never even made the AHL as a full-time player.

2. Mark Pysyk - Top-end WHL D - 1st round NHL pick. He's an okay bottom-pair NHL player (really a 7th/reserve guy on a good team).

3. Travis Ewanyk - Hard-nosed, powerforward prospect and 3rd round NHL pick. Couldn't stick in AHL. Playing in German minor league.

4. Griffin Reinhart - Drafted 4th overall in the NHL draft. Wasn't even a good AHL player. Not even good in KHL. Playing DEL.

5. Curtis Lazar - Elite WHL power-center. Looked like Mike Fischer part two. Topped out at NHL 4th line. Won't be more.

6. Mitch Moroz - Hard-nosed, powerforward prospect and 2nd round NHL pick. Not even a good ECHL player. Has a regular job now.

7. Mason Geertsen - Big, nasty, stay-at-home D. 4th round NHL pick. Shaping up to be a decent bottom three AHL defender.

8. Henrik Samuelsson - Hard-nosed, powerforward prospect and 1st round NHL pick. Not even a good ECHL player. Has a regular job now.

9. Keegan Lowe - Big, nasty, stay-at-home D. 3rd round NHL pick. Shaping up to be a decent bottom three AHL defender.

10. Brett Pollack - Big, skilled forward prospect and 2nd round NHL pick. Couldn't stick in AHL. Good ECHLer, playing in DEL now.

That doesn't even count a bunch of 5th and 6th and 7th round picks that looked great in the Dub and later went on to do nothing.

I'm talking the Edgars Kuldas, Dysin Mayos, Ashton Sauntners, Dylan Wrucks and Martin Gernats of the world. Looked great once.

So, why would I bring up this list of names? Well, the Edmonton Oil Kings were a true CHL powerhouse back in the Laxdal days.

They were not only unbelievably good, but unbelievably fun to watch. They played just like you'd want our teams to play.

Despite looking like they were blessed with all of these elite players, time has shown they ALL overachieved. That's coaching.

Laxdal got a team together quick, got them all to play way over their heads, have tons of individual and team success and WIN.

^ that's all in four years!

Then after four seasons he leaves. The next four seasons they go 34-31-7, 29-36-7, 23-43-6, and 22-42-8 - ZERO winning seasons.

What's more is that during those four years after he leaves there are almost no NHL picks and NONE in the first 4 rounds. None.

rt

May 13, 2004
That's just his EDM days. When he made the AHL finals as the HC for Tex Stars, there were only three guys on his roster who are currently in the NHL; Roope Hintz, Dennis Gurianov, and Jason Dickinson.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Skeptical about U.S. college guys. I’d just as soon wait to see if the Rangers fire David Quinn if we want to go that route because at least he has some good pro experience too, and I bet he could also get the best out of Keller.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Give me Torts. Give the team some soul and identity.

Torts plays defense shield wall hockey. He hasn't adapted to the salary cap era very well. He has changed his approach when communicating with players, but not his overall deployment style.

I want nothing to do with defense first, whether it's Laxdal, Torts, or Nelson if he intends to coach that way. I want someone who worships at the altar of the Corsi gods. Someone who presses, involves all five guys, and plays active defense.

Entertaining hockey that has guys improving should be the order of the day.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Hopefully we don’t go with a low resume guy to give some new body a shot to try and prove something. Just grab gallant and call it. We don’t have time to f*** around anymore.

This. In my opinion he is the top candidate by a good margin. I hope we don't cheap out. Don't forget that Doan and Gallant are together at the World Championships so hopefully the two leave a lasting impression with each other.

Reactions: Jakey53

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
I think Doan is being over-rated here in how much pull he has with hockey ops decisions.

His strength to the franchise is his knowledge of the market.

Reactions: Surfshop

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
Like I said in the GDT the other day, I'd have preferred a proper firing like he deserved but I'll take it.

I want a coach who is capable of improving the existing roster pieces and adapting them to his system not one of these widgetized coaches that just doesn't work with certain players.

The last two coaches were almost the same in this way and it's really frustrating as a fan seeing every player that runs through here at best stagnate.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad