Confirmed with Link: Morgan: Coyotes, Tocchet agree to part ways

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Morgan updated his story with possible candidates.

If you’re looking for some names who might be in consideration, here are four:
  • St. Louis Blues assistant coach Mike Van Ryn, who won a Stanley Cup with Armstrong in St. Louis in 2019. Van Ryn was the Coyotes development coach in 2016-17, and he coached the Tucson Roadrunners from 2017-18, giving him familiarity with many players in the system.
  • Providence College coach Nate Leaman, who guided the United States to a gold medal at the 2021 World Junior Championship with a 2-0 win over host Canada.
  • Ottawa 67s coach André Tourigny
  • Columbus Blue Jackets assistant coach Brad Larsen

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
It won’t be Tourigny. He has too much stuff going on with Hockey Canada.

His time with the Avs wasn't good either. D coach.

I think it will be between MVR and Leaman (if he even wants the job).

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Leaman is an extremely good speaker and has the developmental track record. He believes in volume shooting and making every player an option on the attack. I would be stoked if he actually wanted the job.

Reactions: Dead Coyote

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
His time with the Avs wasn't good either. D coach.

I think it will be between MVR and Leaman (if he even wants the job).
I’m personally not a big fan of hiring Leaman. I wouldn’t do it. NCAA guys with no professional or especially NHL coaching experience of any kind don’t excite me. Makes me think of Dave Hakstol. His former players all say the same thing about him. Nice guy, in over his head, used to dealing with kids. Didn’t know how to work with the pros.

It’s especially worrisome for me if they never played at any high level, like excelling in minor pros or even getting cups of coffee in the bigs. And NoDak was a much bigger program than Providence.

A guy like MVR just has such a superior resume of experience in terms of how well-rounded it is. His level of exposure to all levels and situations. Think of how much he’s learned. He played in the NCAA and OHL and AHL and NHL and coached in the OHL, AHL, and NHL. He’s had a ton of success in all of those roles at all of those levels.

Leaman is the flipside of the Tocchet coin for me. Tocchet didn’t have anywhere near enough coaching experience or experience outside of the NHL. But Leaman doesn’t know Jack shit about the pro game, let alone the big leagues. He’s got the opposite problem as Tocchet. But for me, in term as of absolute value, it’s equally concerning.

If we can’t afford a name brand like Gallant, Boudreau or Julien, I want a journeyman like Nelson, Laxdal, or MVR.

Last edited:

JasonDemersWasOkay

Nov 14, 2018
Smart guys like Leaman or Lambert excite me until I remember that Tocchet excited me too. I wish we would bring in a veteran coach with a history of coaching teams the right way.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
I’m so, so much more confident in BA today. He didn’t even wait one day. This is a fantastic sign for our future under BA’s leadership.

Any mention of Housley?

Agreed. This is an important offseason. No time to f*** around.

I hope we talk to a good number of candidates but move just as quickly in the HC search.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Smart guys like Leaman or Lambert excite me until I remember that Tocchet excited me too. I wish we would bring in a veteran coach with a history of coaching teams the right way.
I’d love to hire Boudreau or Gallant. I really don’t think we’re going that route. I think if we’re guessing who it’ll actually be, the list will look something like this as a top 10 candidates list (no particular order):

Jay Varady
Cory Stillman
Mike Van Ryn
Todd Nelson
Lane Lambert
Kris Knoblauch
Mike Vellucci
Rocky Thompson
Derek Laxdal
Manny Viveiros

Ad

Upcoming events