Prospect Info: Morgan Barron

LokiDog

Get pucks deep. Get pucks to the net. And, uh…
Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
IMO the gap re. hands is not big. It’s interesting overall players comparison that should indicate that Duby is better than medium expectations for Barron since Brandon was a second liner for a good chunk of his career. Don’t see any particular area where Duby is head and shoulders above Morgan (again just my opinion) so just figured he’s just a little better across all areas: hands, sense, speed, front of the net, board play and physicality). Shot quality is where they’re probably at least equal.

I know it’s an old post but Duby was pretty much a perennial 40+ point player who hit 50 a couple times and could have more times but almost always missed games due to injury. Which is what eventually torpedoed his career and why people probably don’t remember that he was a pretty legit two-way physical force who paced for 47 points per 82 games throughout his entire prime.

That would be pretty amazing if we got that with Barron.

44 in 69 (52 pace)
20 in 29 (57 pace)
36 in 47 (62 pace)
48 in 75 (52 pace)

that’s everything but those last two years where he fell apart. He was a damn good player.

Matt4776

May 8, 2009
Please forgive my ignorance.

Is Barron looking like a C at the NHL level? If not, would he play on the left or the right?

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Please forgive my ignorance.

Is Barron looking like a C at the NHL level? If not, would he play on the left or the right?
Ha, depends on who you ask. I think most like him as a LW, where he has primarily setup in college, but there's one guy who knows his family who also likes to remind you he grew up as a C and was drafted as a C. :laugh: And it's true, Barron can play C and is a good FO guy. So, we'll see how it works out.

Khodorenko and Rueschhoff also played W and C, so they're building some versatility. And Richards, like Barron, is a defensive beast.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
He’s just so smart and good on faceoffs people like the idea of him at center and I can see that but he’s probably a winger. His head though might make him a center. His skating is the only thing that hurts him there but he keeps improving

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
He’s just so smart and good on faceoffs people like the idea of him at center and I can see that but he’s probably a winger. His head though might make him a center. His skating is the only thing that hurts him there but he keeps improving

So you're saying a 21-year old prospect can still improve his skating? :sarcasm:

Reactions: One Winged Angel

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's
I'll take the majority's word that his abilities align better with being a winger, but I fully expect that given our lack of centre depth he gets every opportunity to find his niche as a 3C or 4C before we move him to the outside.

Reactions: nyr2k2

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
I'll take the majority's word that his abilities align better with being a winger, but I fully expect that given our lack of centre depth he gets every opportunity to find his niche as a 3C or 4C before we move him to the outside.
Yep he'll be handled like Hayes, or Dubinsky, or Miller. They'll give him every opportunity to succeed at C, but he'll also see time on the wing. I expect, anyway.

The Sweetness

Jul 15, 2010
Stockholm
Re: the Dubinsky comparisons. When Dubinsky was Barron's age now he was in the middle of putting up 40 pts in his rookie season, followed by 8 pts in 10 playoff games.

I honestly haven't seen Barron play but I'd be shocked if he's as good as Dubinsky was at the same stage in his career.

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
Maybe it’s because we follow Rangers prospects and maybe it’s because we don’t have many forwards to talk about, but I feel there’s a ton of low-key hype around Barron. If that sentence makes sense. I just mean, no one is saying he’ll be an all-star in the NHL but lots of people seem to be talking about him.

he’s solid. Saw him live for two days in Stamford. He could have put some of our hustling prospects through the boards if he wanted too. Heavy on the puck and just gets it. Solid built when compared to the surrounding kids, He’s not for those looking for fantasy numbers or an electric european highlight reel vs 16 yr olds.

Reactions: egelband

usekakkorightquinn

Oct 18, 2019
Dubinsky was lazy with his fitness. He got fat his first big pay day and then his game went to garbage. Shame he didn't understand how to train better. He could have been a 55-60 point guy. Stepan was similar. Went to crap when he got his big pay day. Barron being a late round pick should have plenty of motivation for his career to prove people wrong.

Reactions: McSauer

smoneil

Jul 14, 2004
Arkansas
Re: the Dubinsky comparisons. When Dubinsky was Barron's age now he was in the middle of putting up 40 pts in his rookie season, followed by 8 pts in 10 playoff games.

I honestly haven't seen Barron play but I'd be shocked if he's as good as Dubinsky was at the same stage in his career.

Duby is one of my favorite Rangers of that era, but you can't really compare him to Barron based on this. The bottom line is that it was significantly easier for a good prospect to break into the Rangers roster back then. The quality AND depth of the Rangers prospect pool are quite a bit better now compared to then.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Dubinsky was lazy with his fitness. He got fat his first big pay day and then his game went to garbage. Shame he didn't understand how to train better. He could have been a 55-60 point guy. Stepan was similar. Went to crap when he got his big pay day. Barron being a late round pick should have plenty of motivation for his career to prove people wrong.

Do you have some evidence of this? The Rangers moved Dubinsky pretty much because they wanted Rick Nash so bad. Brandon was a good player--Anisimov was a good player. Neither of them could or would ever carry a team's offense or even be a legit 1st liner. They've also gotten older and more injury prone. It happens. Stepan is also a good player but his game kind of caught up to him and his offense has tumbled--his issue is he was always a mediocre skater. That hurts more now than 3/4 years ago. Some guys also fit better with certain teams as well. He's a heady player and good defensively and smart with the puck.

I don't know whether Barron walks into an NHL job and if he does he'll be in the bottom 6. He's likely to spend at least some time in Hartford.

Reactions: egelband

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad