Prospect Info: Morgan Barron

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
How about Janny Erixon?

I say a poor man's Anders Lee. Style wise, same type of player, but productivity might be somewhere between a third to half of what Anders does because the hands aren't as good. An industrious winger with size that plays a strong north south game that can compliment higher skilled players.

What I mean by that is, a guy who cycles and protects pucks down low, and is a good net front presence. Not a great playmaker, but is big and strong enough to win a lot of battles to be an effective forechecker who can park himself in front of the net.

Reactions: leetch99

mrmovies779

The Greatest Teacher,Failure is.
Feb 5, 2013
If he turns into a Boyle/Maroon type,that would be fantastic.Moore type is great too and either would be a big win.

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
always good to have a perpetual Selke candidate;
watching Janny disrupt Mario shift after shift ...
back then the strategy was to match a F vs a star F, in last 20 years coaches worry more about matching their D
There was actually a pseudo position designation called “Shadow” back then. I had a modest hockey card collection in the 90s, this was one of my favorites and for some reason the most memorable:
View media item 7523

Reactions: bobbop

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Erixon IMO was the best defensive and penalty killing forward our team has had or at least as long as I've been watching them. That guy use to get the puck on the penalty kill and take it into a corner and kick it around between his skates for half a minute--45 seconds at a time with 3 guys all over him and they couldn't get the puck away from him. He'd do that all the time. I don't know if there's ever been a forward who killed penalties better than him.

Blue Blooded

Most people rejected his message
Oct 25, 2010
Stockholm
Erixon IMO was the best defensive and penalty killing forward our team has had or at least as long as I've been watching them. That guy use to get the puck on the penalty kill and take it into a corner and kick it around between his skates for half a minute--45 seconds at a time with 3 guys all over him and they couldn't get the puck away from him. He'd do that all the time. I don't know if there's ever been a forward who killed penalties better than him.
The legendary Jörgen Jönsson-Peter Nordström PK pairing used to do this all the time as well, they were amazing at stealing the puck and carrying it up the ice to keep the puck in the corner of the offensive zone for the entire shift. This was in the SHL/WHC though.

cwede

Sep 1, 2010
Erixon talk also timely re this posted article, which ranked Nylander in top 5, leaving out Erixon.

Poddubny and Rogers also had high scoring seasons in their only 2 NYR seasons.
I would have Erixon and his 550+ games ahead of Nylander.

Nylander was very good, but only briefly a Ranger.
Erixon, as demonstrated by comments above from folks who were fans then, was a legendary Ranger in his own way.

Maximus

Dec 23, 2003
Doylestown, PA
So for those like me who never have seen Barron play, what's the big deal about him as I've read some glowing reports about him.

And for those who have seen him, what is his upside and what current NHL player does his style of play compare too...thx in advance for any insights you might have.

Reactions: egelband

Blue Blooded

Most people rejected his message
Oct 25, 2010
Stockholm
Erixon talk also timely re this posted article, which ranked Nylander in top 5, leaving out Erixon.

Poddubny and Rogers also had high scoring seasons in their only 2 NYR seasons.
I would have Erixon and his 550+ games ahead of Nylander.

Nylander was very good, but only briefly a Ranger.
Erixon, as demonstrated by comments above from folks who were fans then, was a legendary Ranger in his own way.

With Nylander it has a lot to do with the specific seasons rather than just being productive over a two year period. Being a central part of that surprise resurgence when everyone thought they'd be the worst team in the league leaves a significant mark. If he scored the same number of points for the Rangers in 01-02 and 02-03 he wouldn't be near that list.

coz21

Ask Me About Barron
Feb 10, 2010
Upstate
So for those like me who never have seen Barron play, what's the big deal about him as I've read some glowing reports about him.

And for those who have seen him, what is his upside and what current NHL player does his style of play compare too...thx in advance for any insights you might have.
I wrote about it on the first page.

Reactions: egelband

leetch99

Leetch66 Joined 2007
Oct 5, 2017
PEI Canada
There was actually a pseudo position designation called “Shadow” back then. I had a modest hockey card collection in the 90s, this was one of my favorites and for some reason the most memorable:
View media item 7523
LOL...I still have a few boxes of them in my basement ...my nephews love them though when I give them a box to open ....what kid does not enjoy opening hockey card packs ?

leetch99

Leetch66 Joined 2007
Oct 5, 2017
PEI Canada
Sabres had a couple of dandies in Luce and Ramsay ...two of the best ever IMO . Erixon and Walt Tkachuk my Ranger PK'ers .

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Sabres had a couple of dandies in Luce and Ramsay ...two of the best ever IMO . Erixon and Walt Tkachuk my Ranger PK'ers .

Luce started out with the Rangers. I really liked Hagelin, Boyle and Grabner on our penalty kill. Grabner and Hagelin just speed demons---you make a mistake and let them get behind you they're gone. To me both of them were extremely effective and Hagelin had a motor like the energizer bunny--he could go forever. For Boyle--face-offs, effective use of size and reach and clutch play. We've had a bunch--Zibanejad currently, Messier, Graves, Ortmeyer, Dom Moore, Tikkanen.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->