More recent obscure captains than Derek McKenzie?

The Grouch

Jan 31, 2009
Since I've been following hockey there is only a single player that I legitimately had no idea who he was when he was named captain of an NHL team. Todd Simpson!

Simpson went on to have a moderately long career, but an undrafted player with less than 100 games experience being named captain certainly isn't very common.

Zenos

Oct 4, 2009
I hate threads like these. A Captain is a leader, not just the best player or two on the team nowadays.

We have no idea how these guys were in the locker room. They might’ve been the guys giving the rallying speech during intermission, the one that pushes everyone else in the weight room, the guy that mentors the young’ins.

Without inside knowledge, we have no idea.

Agreed. If the players and staff see a certain guy as their "leader" (on, or off the ice), then he's a good captain. It's why I always find it funny when fans or the media mix in on this topic without really knowing.

To illustrate, I recall reading an article or seeing an interview where Chris Pronger discussed his first interactions with his new oilers teammates. He said he walked into the room and immediately understood that this was Jason Smith's team.
He didn't elaborate on the how and why (whether it was Smith's preparation/dedication, the way he spoke to teammates, or the way he laid everything on the line during games), so we as outsiders can only guess. But I thought it was interesting nonetheless, especially coming from someone who himself was a captain on his previous team and was a far more talented and celebrated defenceman.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Wasn't he stripped of the captaincy and then Craig Conroy the captain before Iggy? As for my response...another vote for Chris Clark. Once he was traded, OV was named captain.

Yeah Conroy was also C, I just remember Lowry as captain due to one of the old NHL video games

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad