Post-Game Talk: More Puns? Datsyuks! Franzen family watch Pens (6) wave Tatar to Red Wings (3)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Corvidae

May 5, 2009
His drafting record always took a lot more heat than it deserved.

I strongly disagree. I think it took just the right amount of heat.

Draft To-Do List:

- Defense
- MOAR DEFENSE
- Small Dudes Going To College
- Defense
- Check on what Omaha is up to
- Make plans to not use drafted defense

He had 8 drafts to get a top six forwards for Crosby and Malkin and was successful 0 times, including one 2nd overall pick in 2006 (yeah, I went there). 2012 may be his only decent year and I'm assuming he bonked his head before drafting two Europeans (although one is fairly light and went to college, so he's probably OK with that in retrospect.). Rust and SQ look decent, but absolutely nothing to write home about. His best pick between Staal and Maatta was easily Jake Muzzin, and that's hilarious for several reason. So yeah, I think he gets very rightly criticized for being terrible.

UnderratedBrooks44

Sep 13, 2005
Miranda's house
I strongly disagree. I think it took just the right amount of heat.

Draft To-Do List:

- Defense
- MOAR DEFENSE
- Small Dudes Going To College
- Defense
- Check on what Omaha is up to
- Make plans to not use drafted defense

He had 8 drafts to get a top six forwards for Crosby and Malkin and was successful 0 times, including one 2nd overall pick in 2006 (yeah, I went there). 2012 may be his only decent year and I'm assuming he bonked his head before drafting two Europeans (although one is fairly light and went to college, so he's probably OK with that in retrospect.). Rust and SQ look decent, but absolutely nothing to write home about. His best pick between Staal and Maatta was easily Jake Muzzin, and that's hilarious for several reason. So yeah, I think he gets very rightly criticized for being terrible.

2012 looks like a good draft year. Granted there's two #1's in there, but if you draft like that every year you're going to be very good. The problem is every other year, even trying to be objective, you're just looking at the list like "Ehh not much here".

gopens66

Hop in the Cordoba, Baby, we're goin' bowlin!
May 25, 2006
Altoona,Pa
I missed the game last night. I've seen in here people saying they liked the lines. Can someone please post what the lines were?

Waffle Fries

Mar 7, 2013
I didn't have a chance to comment last night, but just some thoughts.

- It was a really fun game, it's always fun to score goals, but it was especially fun to see more than just one line getting involved.

- I'm happy that Sullivan realized that he needed to switch up the lines and tried Kessel with Sid again. I do think that they have the potential to work extremely well together, and they showed baby-steps towards that last night.

- However, I am concerned as what to do with Geno and Hornqvist. They shouldn't play together. Theoretically, I still think Hornqvist-Crosby-Kessel is a line that needs to be tried. BUT, that leaves Geno with basically nothing. The only solution is to find Geno a winger at the deadline, but I'm not sure what kind of player to bring in.

- In the meantime, Hagelin-Cullen-Hornqvist looked good. I think Hagelin has the ability to play with anyone on the roster, and that's awesome.

- The Baby Penguins are fun. It's less than ideal to have 6 players that started the season in the AHL in your bottom six, but man do these guys have energy. They are constantly outworking their opponents and it's great. I'm glad they finally cashed in.

- I saw some discussion about which of them to keep. Rust is my number one choice to stay up. I think he can stay in the NHL and not lose anything, and I'm constantly happy with his game. Next would by Sundqvist because he brings size, and probably should have been up to start the year last season.

- Someone like Wilson who is only in his second year of pro-hockey will probably benefit the most from more time in the AHL, even if he's shown some good moments. Porter and Kuhn just need to go back.

- Conor Sheary fascinates me and I have no idea what to do with him.

- Oh, and it's great that we can score empty net goals now.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
IF the Pens stick with the 4 scoring lines philosophy, I’m starting to come around to Sheary. His size and lack of elite skill will prevent him from being more than a 4th liner, maybe a 3rd liner, but I think he does a lot of things well. He has offensive instincts, not a terrible shot or passer, he creates turnovers with his speed, and I think he does a pretty good job of protecting the puck along the boards by making those quick turns. He started well after his call-up, but that’s not uncommon. Once the adrenaline wore off, his play dipped, but it seems to be coming back around now. If it continues, I don’t see why the Pens wouldn’t keep him around at least while he’s cheap.

I’d really like to bring Cullen back next year and go with Sheary – Cullen – Wilson, but I wouldn’t oppose Sundqvist centering that line either. At the very least, it would be a cheap 4th line, but I think it would be reasonably effective as well.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
I missed the game last night. I've seen in here people saying they liked the lines. Can someone please post what the lines were?

Kunitz-Crosby-Kessel
Hags-Cullen-Horny
Rust-Sundqvist-Porter
Wilson-Sheary-Kuhn

Or something like that...i don't remember much of the game.

WheresRamziAbid

Oct 31, 2013
DK wrote last night that Shero drafted 50 players and only 6 ended up as NHL regulars

Staal
Bennet
Bort
Despres
Muzzin
Maatta

No defending his drafting but that list really cant be completed yet.

Murray, Pouliot, Rust, Sundqvist all look like locks to be NHL players of varying degrees with Harrington, Jarry, Wilson with legit chances at this point. Which would make it much more palatable.

His draft philosophy will always be questionable regardless.

UnderratedBrooks44

Sep 13, 2005
Miranda's house
I don't count 4th liners and 6th/7th defensemen. You could throw a dart at the top 30 prospects available each round and end up with a guy or two that will put on a jersey once in awhile. If you can't draft a few of those, you might be actively trying to sabotage your team.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
DK wrote last night that Shero drafted 50 players and only 6 ended up as NHL regulars

Staal
Bennet
Bort
Despres
Muzzin
Maatta

Well, DK's an idiot who has trouble with evaluation and context.

Anybody who wants to talk about Shero's draft record can take it to my new dedicated thread so we don't clog things up here...as usually happens when Shero's legacy is up for debate.

KrisLetAngry

MrJukeBoy
Dec 20, 2013
Saskatchewan
You guys should give me a (+) for not watching. Pens' offense usually goes dry whenever I tune in. They score 6 when I don't.

Maybe I shouldn't watch a single playoff game. Pens go 16-0, scoring 4 goals per game, en route to their 4th Cup in franchise history.
I'm still waiting for my donations frI'm my go fund me account ;)
Every time I drink and don't watch the game we win

BeautiPhil

Toronto Sun Model
Nov 23, 2010
Virginia
Joe Morrow was a **** up from beginning to end. You look at the players drafted after him, who he got traded for when he was a recent 1st round pick and where he is now...

What an amazing draft for Tampa Bay though. Namestnikov at the tail-end of the 1st rd, Kucherov at the end of the 2nd, Nesterov in the 5th and Palat in the 7th.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
That Plotnikov thing was sad to look at. It always has to be someone that gets ****ed over by this team every year, no Despres? No problem, let's lure a guy from Russia and then never play him with the 2nd coach of the season taking over and playing his fav Porter every game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad