TSN: More insights into the rebuild

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
https://www.tsn.ca/senators-reveal-more-pieces-of-rebuilding-plan-1.1171909

This article should have been released instead of the cringe-worthy, never to be forgotten video. Shows you the value of articulating a plan to someone who can communicate effectively and having Melnyk keep his mouth shut.

There are still quite a few platitudes and buzzwords, but definitely makes me feel a little better, as a fan.

Things that stood out:

Eyes inside the room quickly scanned for the position of the top, right-shot defenceman on the roster. And sure enough, Erik Karlsson’s name was right there for everyone to see — penciled in for opening night.

Ruszkowski acknowledged that the reception from the video had not been overly warm, but firmly said that was merely a “first step” in trying to change the narrative around the team.

The organization did try and clear up one misconception from Monday’s video, involving Melnyk’s suggestion that 10 new players would be on the roster for opening night of this season.

The general manager also said that analytics will play a role in their decision-making. “We will embrace the power of data and insights to measure our impact.”

We'll see if the new GM is an analytics guy...

In particular, Dorion said, the club would move away from a passive approach and deploy an “unrelenting” forecheck.

According to Ruszkowski, the club is working diligently on a plan for a permanent logo for the 2019-20 season — and he did not dismiss returning to the original 2-D Sens logo or moving forward with the Heritage O version.

Also said that the the projected lineup is:

Dzingel - Duchene - White/Batherson
Tkachuk - Pageau - Stone
Ryan - Smith - Boedker
Paajarvi - Chlapik - Pyatt

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017

This article should have been released instead of the cringe-worthy, never to be forgotten video. Shows you the value of articulating a plan to someone who can communicate effectively and having Melnyk keep his mouth shut.

There are still quite a few platitudes and buzzwords, but definitely makes me feel a little better, as a fan.

Things that stood out:
Yup.

This is exactly how the team should have dealt with laying out their plan. Bring in some professional reporters and then have the GM explain.

Hopefully the reaction to the video will finally convince the staff to stand up to Eugene and keep him out of the spotlight, but I doubt Melnyk will have the self-control to stop shooting himself in the foot.

solidprospect

Borveetzky
Sep 30, 2017
Inside a boardroom at Canadian Tire Centre on Wednesday morning, Ottawa Senators general manager Pierre Dorion showed select members of the media his projected lineup for the upcoming season.
Eyes inside the room quickly scanned for the position of the top, right-shot defenceman on the roster. And sure enough, Erik Karlsson’s name was right there for everyone to see — penciled in for opening night.
“He’s here. Here’s part of the team,” Dorion said.

----

More water for the fires everyone tries to create.

Reactions: Xspyrit

solidprospect

Borveetzky
Sep 30, 2017
Dorion said he’s not going to be bothered if media and fans constantly bring up the swirl of negativity that has surrounded the team for the past few months. He said that by laying out the plan in a clear and transparent fashion, he’s hoping that everyone can move forward and focus on the future.

“We can’t control the outside stuff,” said Dorion.

----

[MOD]

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Variable26

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
Dorion said he’s not going to be bothered if media and fans constantly bring up the swirl of negativity that has surrounded the team for the past few months. He said that by laying out the plan in a clear and transparent fashion, he’s hoping that everyone can move forward and focus on the future.

----

[MOD]

No, the things that fans have criticized to date are fair and valid. See:

• Melnyk doing a "Between two ferns" style video
• Melnyk comparing the team to a grocery store he might have to move
• Dorion throwing his captain under the bus with the "even Gretzky got traded" comment
• "Pierre Dorion makes the hockey decisions"
• Not immediately suspending Randy Lee
Etc.

Now, if from this day forward, things are communicated properly, like in this article, everyone will feel a lot better. But we'll see if this is just an anomaly.

Boud

Dec 27, 2011

----

[MOD]

[MOD]

Glad they finally laid out the plan. Good job Dorion. Only months too late but we will learn from our mistakes.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
This was what I wanted from the get go, specific details. It doesn't answer the questions on this crazy unprecedented UFA scenario we've put ourselves in, but I will give credit where it is due here. Clear, concise and to the point on numerous issues.Now I guess we just wait to see what happens with our core this year and whether they're signed or traded. Are we waiting on money? Are we truly wanting to see how we do before committing to them? Or, are the players the ones not wanting to sign until they see we won't suck again? The one explanation I won't accept for this scenario, is that it's just business as usual to head in to the season with your 4 best players as pending UFA's.

This is a much better way to communicate your vision because it's coming from someone that has the skills to discuss it. I know it likely doesn't sit well with Eugene, but he needs to fade in to the back ground for a bit while they repair their image. For a man that somehow amassed a large amount of wealth in his life and bought an NHL team with it, he sure comes off as a guy that has no clue about hockey.

Last edited:

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
Now, if from this day forward, things are communicated properly, like in this article, everyone will feel a lot better. But we'll see if this is just an anomaly.

Which was immediately praised for being the professional way to run a NHL franchise.

Reactions: Boud

Karl Prime

Feb 13, 2017

----

[MOD]

So Karlsson will be around for opening night? Great. After the deadline? I'm guessing no.

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
Which was immediately praised for being the professional way to run a NHL franchise.

Agreed. It's come to a point where we're happy that the GM is giving us a f***ing clue of where this team is headed months and months after fans asked for it just because of how poor the management has been.

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
Some shade being thrown at the captain?

“We will rebuild by trading for younger, faster, stronger players who commit to our team-first philosophy, play with discipline and earn the freedom to take risks that help the team,” said Dorion.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Also said that the the projected lineup is:

Dzingel - Duchene - White/Batherson
Tkachuk - Pageau - Stone
Ryan - Smith - Boedker
Paajarvi - Chlapik - Pyatt

We're already penciling in an 18 year old into the top-6?

Jesus. Even Joe Thornton sucked as an 18 year old NHLer. Can we please slow down with Tkachuk? I get that you want to promote the new hotness as a distraction from the whole Karlsson fiasco that's about to erupt, but can we please be patient with this kid and let him earn that spot on his own merit, ferchristsakes?

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
HATE this line.

The only line that appears to be fully formed at this point is the club’s third unit. At the present time, it features Zack Smith back in his role as a centre, with Bobby Ryan on his left side and newcomer Mikkel Boedker on the right.

Reactions: Deku

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
I see it more as a shot towards some guys from last year, like Hoffman and Brassard.

Karlsson has Norris trophies and got us to the ECF on one ankle. He's earned it.
Seems about right. I can't imagine them trying to up EK's value by asking him to play safe conservative hockey.

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
How?? Are you suggesting Karlsson is slow or something?
I was wondering about this portion of the quote: team-first philosophy, play with discipline and earn the freedom to take risks that help the team

I like Dave's interpretation better though.

Love the idea of a EK Chabot pairing. Hope I get to see it for a long time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad