TSN: More insights into the rebuild

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
I was wondering about this portion of the quote: team-first philosophy, play with discipline and earn the freedom to take risks that help the team

I like Dave's interpretation better though.

Yeah, that was my interpretation too. If anything, he's actually complimenting Karlsson with this comment. He's telling the rest of the team that they need to earn the kind of freedom Karlsson has to take risks to help the team.

Karl Prime

Feb 13, 2017
Again, one thing I don't understand .... Dorion said the rebuild essentially started in February. So why trade Hoffman for a 28 year-old?

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
Yeah, that was my interpretation too. If anything, he's actually complimenting Karlsson with this comment. He's telling the rest of the team that they need to earn the kind of freedom Karlsson has to take risks to help the team.
Ya I could see that interpretation as well.

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
Again, one thing I don't understand .... Dorion said the rebuild essentially started in February. So why trade Hoffman for a 28 year-old?

It's Dorion placating Melnyk.

"Rebuild" has become the stupidest buzzword in hockey. It doesn't mean anything. This is not a video game that you can min/max, you don't purposely destroy your team and lose games on purpose in order to somehow become better. You can keep a competitive team, while also focusing on the future prospects. We needed NHL players to fill out the lineup. Bodker was that.

solidprospect

Borveetzky
Sep 30, 2017
I know it's tough when the truth comes out but alot of media members and what not have been wrong about various Sens related issues all summer. Get mad at me if you want to I didn't make all the stuff up and run with it though.

Dorion told everyone he wasn't talking about any players and people still decided to speculate.

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
My guess is Melnyk was probably angrily yelling at Dorion at some point, telling him to sell everyone and to only bring in young fast players, and we'd win a cup like Vegas almost just did. Dorion probably fed him some bullshit like "we have 10 new players", and Melnyk took it as if they had 10 new rookies, then called up Boro (because he's an old school tough guy) to do that stupid interview without consulting anyone.

I don't know why people just assume Dorion and Melnyk are on the same page. If Dorion could, he would probably write an anonymous OP-ED to the Citizen or something, about being part of the resistance, preventing Melnyk from driving the team off a cliff. Except, everyone else in the organization has been fired or bullied into quitting by Melnyk, so it would be too obvious.

Frenchy

Administrator
Sep 16, 2006
϶(°o°)ϵ
ok guys , take a deep breath before clicking on post reply when you make a comment.
If not, i will have to take some actions, Flaming was and will always be against the rules.

Thank you

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
I don't understand how this is reassuring to anyone.

All I'm seeing is a plan to force rookies into spots they aren't ready for, and play a more aggressive style of hockey despite not having the right kind of players to do so. It's pure fantasy.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
For us the rebuild started in February.. so 3-4 months after selling the future for Duchene .. start a rebuild . Cool. And the Hoffman deal .. that's part of the rebuild too?

He moved Hoffman... and now the room isn't broken anymore ... ok Pierre.

Reactions: L'Aveuglette

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
It's Dorion placating Melnyk.

"Rebuild" has become the stupidest buzzword in hockey. It doesn't mean anything. This is not a video game that you can min/max, you don't purposely destroy your team and lose games on purpose in order to somehow become better. You can keep a competitive team, while also focusing on the future prospects. We needed NHL players to fill out the lineup. Bodker was that.

Plenty of teams have done exactly that. Dorion wants to as well but he really doesn't know how to. He talks about rebuilding on one hand, while trading for middling players nearing 30 on the other(not to mention giving our #1 pick away). You can justify it all you want but I haven't seen any clear direction as of now. It's all words that mean nothing.

We're running around in circles with this organization.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
That must have been a wild meeting to attend. I imagine the reporters who were there now have an appreciation the press who cover white house press briefings these days.

Reactions: BigRig4

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa
Lol Mendes provides more positivity and confidence to me as a fan in one article than the team has delivered in any form of communication (outside of craigs sweet vids) in years...i am still waiting on tangible actions of course before i apply any credit to the org.

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
Also said that the the projected lineup is:

Dzingel - Duchene - White/Batherson
Tkachuk - Pageau - Stone
Ryan - Smith - Boedker
Paajarvi - Chlapik - Pyatt

They seriously think this is the kind of lineup you can play an aggressive forecheck brand of hockey with?

Dzingel isn't a 1st liner, White and/or Batherson aren't ready at all for top line duties, neither is Tkachuk(kid has one good game he's now Hoffman's replacement?). Pageau isn't a #2C. Smith is certainly not a good C, so I can't imagine Ryan or Boedker having good seasons playing on his wings, and that 4th line is somewhat acceptable.

And to think their "plan" is to inject more unproven rookies into this group.

If anything this is the type of lineup you have to play the typical Boucher-style with(especially with no real #2D to play with EK), but they're under the assumption that we can play like the Predators or the Lightning and succeed. Oy vey.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Also said that the the projected lineup is:

Dzingel - Duchene - White/Batherson
Tkachuk - Pageau - Stone
Ryan - Smith - Boedker
Paajarvi - Chlapik - Pyatt

So, penciling in Tkachuk for a top 6 spot, guess I should have expected that, but penciling in Batherson on the top line? Wow. No sign of Brown is interesting too.

I'd flip Chlapik and Smith, would give us a very solid 4th line, and I think Chlapik is better suited for a scoring 3rd.

On D,

Chabot-Karlsson
Wolanin/Harpur-Ceci
Boro-Wideman

Ok, so Boro and Widman have chemistry, makes sense. Chabot and Karlsson is fine. I have a bit of an issue with the final spot being battled out for being on the 2nd pair though. Not sure about Harpur with Ceci tbh, rather see Harpur with Wideman.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
So, penciling in Tkachuk for a top 6 spot, guess I should have expected that, but penciling in Batherson on the top line? Wow. No sign of Brown is interesting too.

I'd flip Chlapik and Smith, would give us a very solid 4th line, and I think Chlapik is better suited for a scoring 3rd.

On D,

Chabot-Karlsson
Wolanin/Harpur-Ceci
Boro-Wideman

Ok, so Boro and Widman have chemistry, makes sense. Chabot and Karlsson is fine. I have a bit of an issue with the final spot being battled out for being on the 2nd pair though. Not sure about Harpur with Ceci tbh, rather see Harpur with Wideman.

" McCormick and Tom Pyatt will be the fourth-line wingers and there will be an audition for the fourth-line centre job in camp. Logan Brown and Filip Chlapik could fit that need — though more seasoning in Belleville might be in store for them." -- Also no mention of Formenton .. he should be pumped. I bet he has a good camp and makes it hard to send him back.. not that that would be a bad decision. Just you want the guys to compete for a open spots and not omit them from having a chance.

White or Batherson for top line RW spot. If one makes it over the other ,.. what does that mean for the one that doesn't?

I like the Chabot Karlsson pairing . I had hoped for that in another post. That would be good for Chabot's development. I could see Harpur being the 7th D.

Last edited:

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
" McCormick and Tom Pyatt will be the fourth-line wingers and there will be an audition for the fourth-line centre job in camp. Logan Brown and Filip Chlapik could fit that need — though more seasoning in Belleville might be in store for them. -- Also no mention of Formenton .. he should be pumped. I bet he has a good camp and makes it hard to send him back.. not that that would be a bad decision. Just you want to the guys to compete for a open spots and not omit them from having a chance.

White or Batherson for top line RW spot. If one makes it over the other ,.. what does that mean for the one that doesn't?

I like the Chabot Karlsson pairing . I had hoped for that in another post. That would be good for Chabot's development. I could see Harpur being the 7th D.

Tbh I went with the OP and just scanned the actual article, so I missed some of those finer details, thanks, good to know.

That said, agree about White and Batherson, what happens to the guy who doesn't make it.

As for Chabot Karlsson, I was actually hoping Wolanin would be with Karlsson and Chabot could anchor the 2nd pair, but either setup is good with me.

Crosside

Aug 1, 2018
For us the rebuild started in February.. so 3-4 months after selling the future for Duchene .. start a rebuild . Cool. And the Hoffman deal .. that's part of the rebuild too?

He moved Hoffman... and now the room isn't broken anymore ... ok Pierre.
Phaneuf Oduya and just Hoffman make a big différence. Hoffman i don t Know say in english. He is a tête brûlée. Talk about Giroux when he play with him at Hull

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007

On D,

Chabot-Karlsson
Wolanin/Harpur-Ceci
Boro-Wideman

Would've like Chlapik on the third line. Smith will neuter that line and Chlapik needs some better play makers to generate offense.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad